diy solar

diy solar

New Victron Multiplus-II 12/3000/120-50 designed specifically for RVs with 30A/50A input flexibility available MARCH 2021

I don't have a Cerbo, but I do have a Raspberry Pi running Venus OS. The MK3-USB was required for the Pi to interface with the MultiPlus.

Go to the Victron web site, download the manual for the Cerbo and see what it says. Victron documentation for their own products is very good.

Ordered mine last week, will be interesting to see how long it takes to become available and ship. Still pondering installing with by-pass switching just in case it fails or just assume it will always work at least as well as the current converter and wire direct or possibly with an inside disconnect just in case. Next billing cycle will order panels switches cables mounts and the sccs.

I don’t have the manual handy so apologies for the question that’s answered in the documentation. I’m finalizing my cable order.

I’m wondering about the AC wiring. There’s a 6/3 run from shore to the Multiplus in. From the Multiplus is there one or two 6/3 run(s) to the RV distribution panel?

I don’t have the manual handy so apologies for the question that’s answered in the documentation. I’m finalizing my cable order.

I’m wondering about the AC wiring. There’s a 6/3 run from shore to the Multiplus in. From the Multiplus is there one or two 6/3 run(s) to the RV distribution panel?

AC OUT 2 is only energized when the unit has active AC input from a live source. It's essentially for something you only want running when you have shore power. Only AC OUT 1 is run to the RV AC panel.

Interesting, appreciate that. So the full 50a is provided over leg 1? For example, I want the entire RV available regardless of shore power or battery. In this case L2 is not required?

I thought the whole reason for this model was to allow full use of both legs?

Last edited:
As anyone tried to install a Multiplus II in an Airstream Interstate? If so were did you mount the unit?

Any pictures?

Interesting, appreciate that. So the full 50a is provided over leg 1? For example, I want the entire RV available regardless of shore power or battery. In this case L2 is not required?

I think you are confusing Leg 1 and Leg 2 with INPUT 1 and INPUT 2. Leg 1 and Leg 2 are 2x wires from INPUT 1.

Yup, mixing terminology.

A single input from shore then 2 separate runs from leg 1 and leg 2 to the distribution panel correct? In total 3 separate runs.

Not exactly.

Installing an inverter in a 50A RV is a pain. You have to make provisions for different input. 30A is 120V. 50A is 120/240VAC split phase. Most inverters aren't designed for that. This inverter handles it automatically.

When connected to 50A shore power, it passes that through, so you have use of 50A on both legs. If shore L1 is weak, inverter can provide power assist on L1 only.

When connected to 30A shore power, it passes that through, but you are limited to 30A total since single phase bonds L1 and L2. Your N actually carries all loads instead of just balancing between L1 and L2.

When off grid, you only have 3kW of power from the inverter.

You will have access to all items on L1 or L2 at all times, so the "entire RV" is available, but you will be current limited by the source: 3000W off-grid, 3600W (30A * 120V * 1 leg) from 30A shore (inverter power assist available), 12000W (50A * 120V * 2 legs) from 50A shore (inverter power assist available for L1).

Thank you, that certainly helps. So with power assist only available on L1, I’ll want to ensure that anything needing that is also on L1 for example the AC. If I want the ability to run the AC on a smaller shore circuit it will need to be on L1.

All documentation is available on the Victron site, including the manual. You should download that so you always have it close. So much easier than the tiny text in the printed manual. Here's a link.

Also, here's the business end so you can visualize what you are dealing with.
PMP122305100_ MultiPlus-II 12_3000_120-50_2x120V (connections)nw.png

Thank you, that certainly helps. So with power assist only available on L1, I’ll want to ensure that anything needing that is also on L1 for example the AC. If I want the ability to run the AC on a smaller shore circuit it will need to be on L1.

Probably not. If you're on 50A shore power, it's 120/240 split phase, and the only time you'll likely have a problem is if the shore power is being overloaded by other users where it can't actually deliver. Probably not an issue in almost all cases unless the shore is provided by an off-grid system that can't meet the 50A load.

If you're on "smaller shore circuit" like 30A, you're already 120V only, and L1/L2 are bonded, so they are essentially the same, but you're limited to 30A total @ 120V, and power assist works on everything.

That’s great, thanks for clarifying. With power assist working on everything there should be no reason why the AC won’t run on15amp shore power. It should draw the remainder of the requirement from the batteries b

Any news from those in the know on a 48vdc version of this and perhaps a bit higher kw? I have a new toyhauler sitting here that I'm holding out on.. Come on Victron, don't make me install all my Schneider gear.

Any news from those in the know on a 48vdc version of this and perhaps a bit higher kw? I have a new toyhauler sitting here that I'm holding out on.. Come on Victron, don't make me install all my Schneider gear.

24V 2021Q4/2022Q1

No mention of 24V.

My gut says they're not looking at higher kW since they can be paralleled.

24V 2021Q4/2022Q1

No mention of 24V.

My gut says they're not looking at higher kW since they can be paralleled.
Good info re no 24v, I'll let the 24v people know... I asked about 48v.. ?
Good point re doubling up.

Still a little unclear on the requirement to configure. Mine has been delayed until mid-August unfortunately so still have some time to figure things out. I pinged my reseller and this was their response.

After installation, the MultiPlus is ready to go. If settings have to be changed, this can be done in a matter of minutes with a new DIP switch setting procedure. Even parallel and 3-phase operation can be programmed with DIP switches: no computer needed. Alternatively, VE.Net can be used instead of the DIP switches.

So I’m thinking the USB dongle for configuration but what about Bluetooth for further monitoring? I have the Cerbo, can the Multiplis connect to it via Bluetooth or is the recommendation to hard wire?

Still a little unclear on the requirement to configure. Mine has been delayed until mid-August unfortunately so still have some time to figure things out. I pinged my reseller and this was their response.

After installation, the MultiPlus is ready to go. If settings have to be changed, this can be done in a matter of minutes with a new DIP switch setting procedure. Even parallel and 3-phase operation can be programmed with DIP switches: no computer needed. Alternatively, VE.Net can be used instead of the DIP switches.

So I’m thinking the USB dongle for configuration but what about Bluetooth for further monitoring? I have the Cerbo, can the Multiplis connect to it via Bluetooth or is the recommendation to hard wire?

Hard wire.

Back