diy solar

diy solar

New Victron Multiplus-II 12/3000/120-50 designed specifically for RVs with 30A/50A input flexibility available MARCH 2021

Anybody seen any videos or posts anywhere documenting the installation of this specific unit?

The Samlex feature mentioned appears to be a combination several features Victron has natively. In fact, IMHO Victron's take on it is more advanced. The total battery charge current limitation and solar charge priority is handled by the GX based on its communication with the inverters and the charge controllers. PowerAssist for input current limits. Grid-Zero solar usage priority using current sensors.

Unfortunately if you need assist on both legs of your 50A input with Victron, there are basically 2 options:

1. Stack 2 x 120V inverters in a split-phase configuration (expensive, recommended).
2. Use the lower-cost 230V Multiplus with an AutoTransformer (works, my preference, can be tricky to install).

As you may know, Victron only has 48V 120V inverter/chargers in the Quattro series right now. They have been listening and there is a new model on the way (literally on the boat to NA I'm told) that was supposed to be available last month. It's called the MultiPlus-II 48/3000/35-32 120V.

We already have it in Victron's latest 2021 Q1 catalog. I find them to be ideal for 6KVA split-phase applications for the price. Victron's MRSP is almost exactly halfway between the current MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-50 230V and the MultiPlus-II 48/3000/35-32 230V.

For now, a person could pair a couple of 48V 3K/5K/10K 120V Quattro units. Not as cheap for sure as the new Multiplus will be (particularly without a discount from me or another dealer) but will get the job done. Otherwise, the 10KVA 120V you mentioned would need an autotransformer and you lose assist on one leg.

Thanks for the info, I'm confused as you mention in item #2 would give assist on both legs yet further down you say you'd lose it one leg. Also not sure what your reference to also not sure what you are referring to that I referenced a 10kvA 120V, I don't recall saying anything about that.

Thanks for the info none the less.

1617443393435.png

Thanks for the info, I'm confused as you mention in item #2 would give assist on both legs yet further down you say you'd lose it one leg.
The top 2 options would provide assist on both legs. #2 is an autotransformer with a 230V inverter configured for 240V.

Otherwise, the 10KVA 120V you mentioned would need an autotransformer and you lose assist on one leg.
Technically this is a third option. My apologies for not being 100% clear. It would be using a 120V inverter with an autotransformer on the output of the inverter creating 120V/240V split phase output however due to being a 120V inverter, you would only have a 120V (L1) input. Therefore no power assist on L2, besides being tricky to even make use of L2 since it wouldn't pass through the inverter at all.

Also not sure what your reference to also not sure what you are referring to that I referenced a 10kvA 120V, I don't recall saying anything about that.
Completely my mistake. I clearly read another post referring to one and for some reason made the mistake of thinking it was you when replying here.

I'm hoping to head to AZ within a few weeks, near Dolan Springs, for some camping and off-road adventures.
Small world... I live just past Dolan, further up Pierce Ferry road, near the Grand Canyon West Skywalk.

Jen

We have a small vacant parcel a couple miles West of the Skywalk. Bought back when I was a bigger idiot and had no clue about what I was doing. Still pay our Mohave county taxes every year... :)

We have a small vacant parcel a couple miles West of the Skywalk. Bought back when I was a bigger idiot and had no clue about what I was doing. Still pay our Mohave county taxes every year... :)
I bought 65 acres for under $33,000.00 and pay less than $300 a year in property taxes, you can't beat that. :) PS: Hold onto that land, it was a good investment, values are skyrocketing here now with all the Cali people leaving the state.

PM sent, I’d love to get my RV solar build finished haha. My battery pack has been sitting on my floor for almost 10 months now :(
Only website I have found to have them in stock is inverter service center. Current price is $1,570.80 without discount.

Use coupon code: VICTRON10
On their website for 10% off.

Hope this helps!

LOL it was inevitable they would run out.. Victron only airdropped in a 50 unit batch to NA (North America) for ALL the distributors to source from. Tons of people want these.
Yup, so maybe this will show them that there are at least twice as many of us who are sitting here waiting for a 5k version and at 48VDC... I can't run those on my Tesla's and if I am going to parallel, I might as well use regular 3kws, one of which I already have.

All you beta testers who bought those 50 shown above, make sure to dump your old hand me down Quattro's or dual Multi's here on the for sale section, some of us are looking... LOL

Yup, so maybe this will show them that there are at least twice as many of us who are sitting here waiting for a 5k version and at 48VDC...
Yeah, I hope so. I bet the first 100 of the incoming 300 will sell pretty fast. Also, we're selling them a bit less than Inverter Service Center. They have a bit of a markup on those...

I could be wrong but I doubt we will see a 48V 5KVA 120V Multiplus-II anytime soon. There is a variety of reasons but I suspect it partly has to do with the new chassis and they moved to a singular toroid transformer instead of 2 like in the older models. The transformer in the 48V 5KVA 230V model (what we use with an autotransformer) is roughly the same size as the transformer used in the new 48V 3KVA 120V model. Not quite but close. Either way, IMHO they will have to deepen the chassis "style" they are using with the new MPII to fit a 5KVA 120V transformer. I haven't heard any rumblings at all on a 5KVA 120V 48V Multi. I suspect they want to stick with the Quattro for that right now but I can shoot a note over to find out. Due to the price and some technical advantages, personally I would either parallel 2x 48V 3KVA 230V MPII models with an AT or wait for the new 48V 3KVA 120V and configure them in split-phase (3KVA per leg). Off the top of my head I believe a person will pay less than $2500 before shipping for either config depending on who/where you order from.

All you beta testers who bought those 50 shown above, make sure to dump your old hand me down Quattro or dual Multi's here on the for sale section, some of us are looking... LOL
LOL

All you beta testers who bought those 50 shown above, make sure to dump your old hand me down Quattro's or dual Multi's here on the for sale section, some of us are looking... LOL

No doubt. I wouldn't mind scooping up a Multiplus at a discounted rate.

I just put one up in the classifieds here because I was fortunate to get my hands on a Multiplus II.

I saw that. If you were local to me, I would already be at your house. Remote, unknown forum member and shipping, I'm going to pass. But I was sorely tempted.

Can a DIY Li-ion battery can be charged using a Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 2x120V?
I was able to pick up one of the Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 2x120V. It is in my RV, which currently has lead-acid batteries. I would like to switch to Li-ion batteries. I already have a Victron smartshut 500A that provides battery current and temperature information. The BMS could supply additional battery information. I see there is list of compatible batteries, but I am unsure if that is to access some additional features and information or if that means it likely will not charge the batteries. I would just need it to charge the DIY Li-ion batteries.

Back