New Zealand Shipping / Group Buy

HateGrid

Has anyone actually successfully imported LCL/FCL shipments of LiFePO4 batteries into New Zealand. I have requests pending with several freight forwarders, but so far they will only do a full container load (FCL) for shipping the LiFePO4 batteries at NZ$9,000 from Shanghai or Shenzhen to Lyttelton.

Battery resellers will ship DAP to New Zealand, but to the best of my knowledge, this doesn't include customs paperwork at which point I need to likely get a freight forwarder involved again to avoid delays and storage fees.

I guess I could always do a group buy.

For reference, they are quote it based upon UN3840 classification. Modules with a BMS and case may be classified as UN3841 which could change things.
  • UN 3480, Lithium ion batteries
  • UN 3481, Lithium ion batteries packed with equipment
  • UN 3481, Lithium ion batteries contained in equipment

lexa

I'm in NZ too and facing the same issue...
I had a quick chat with Amy, and she said no sea shipping below 100kg for NZ. I only need 8 280ah cells. So only 50kg. Otherwise I found few seller on Ali express but seems less serious...

HateGrid

Hi Lexa,

I also contacted Mainfreight and they can do LCL for the batteries. Cost was US$422 for shipping and NZ$462 + GST for port and documentation fees.

Where are you located? What was Amy's fee and was it DDP or DAP?

-Eric

lexa

I'm at Wellington. Amy didn't reply yet on the sea shipping price. Still waiting. Sorry but no idea about DDP or DAP I don't know what doe it mean 😅

HateGrid

Wellington - so close to being able to share shipping! I'm just south of Christchurch, so would get everything sent to Lyttelton.

The shipping Incoterms are always a bit confusing at first.

DDP = Delivered Duty Paid - is delivered to your door and you would likely only be responsible for GST
DAP = Delivered At Place - you would need to pick it up at a local warehouse and you have to handle customs
CIF = Cost Insurance and Freight - DAP + paying port fees
FOB = Free On Board - seller drops it off at a port and you handle everything else

1614072704049.png

HateGrid

Fill me in on what you find out from Amy. No idea what it would cost to ship the batteries from Christchurch to Wellington. Most of the usual couriers will not touch them, so would probably have to go for a freight company.

lexa

She said on 1 cubic meter we can put 60 cells... But I don't have the cash right now. Even I'm sure we can resell them easily 😅
The thing that I don't understand, is why there is a minimum weight/size. I could be agree to pay that price for 8 cells shipping

HateGrid

Yes, US$349 is about right for the shipping, but doesn't include all of the local fees. Here is the cost breakdown from Mainfreight (this is for 450KG of batteries up to 1 cubic metre).

1614116071048.png

HateGrid

Since the batteries are classified as dangerous goods, they need special packaging and often need to be on a pallet. The size of the packaging and pallet is what determines the minimum shipping size/quantity.

lexa

Thanks tfor the info. But I won't take the risk on these one... I live full time on a bus, so I really focus on reliable battery. I don't even know if there is 8 cells on this ad.
I continued my discussion with Amy and finally it possible to ship only 8 cells by sea. But the flat rate is 1cubic meter, so a bit expensive. But it's not like I have the choice. I'm trying to do the math to get the total cost. Not easy between shipping fees, tax and import fees, port fees...

HateGrid

No worries. I can probably add yours to my shipment which may save a bit of money.

What are you planning on using for a BMS?

Gareth

Hi Guys. Been reading with interest. Great to see someone understands the complex ways of shipping and customs. If it helps I would be keen to get 8 cells here in NZ as well. Splitting the shipping costs. But really have no idea how it all works

HateGrid

Sounds good. I'm looking at doing and order very soon since lexa is also keen.

I'm a bit behind on the rest of the system. I need to get the Deye inverters approved from the local power provider here and also get the panels ordered. Lots to still do.