diy solar

diy solar

NEWB- what will I need to power 500W 5000btu A/C without batteries?

StuartV

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for reading my post. Hope you can help, shed some `light' on my question.

I'm in the UK, South Wales. My rented house faces south and I'm really keen on getting some solar panels to power a 500W 5000btu portable air conditioning unit.

Batteries are not needed. I work from home and with summer on its way, and my office/studio facing south and receiving all the sun all day, I want to harness the sun to power some A/C.

I've watched a few of Will's videos, that's how I'm here now ?

So, my question. Would the Renogy 100W ( Amazon ) connected to a 1000w inverter be enough to power a 500W A/C unit?

OR, would I have to get more panels? The panels would be attached to the front of the house, or put on some A frames at ground level.

Thanks in advance ??

Last edited:
Would the Renogy 100W ( Amazon ) connected to a 1000kw inverter be enough to power a 500W A/C unit?
No. Absolutely not.
I have to get more panels?
Yes
Would the Renogy
you probably don’t want renogy stuff
Batteries are not needed.
One battery or two with some common mercantile solar equipment would be advisable with passing clouds, etc. Like a giant capacitor / buffer of power.

There is equipment available that will run your Aircon without batteries/inverter but I don’t think you’re shopping at that level.

You will probably spend less and be way happier with solar panels sufficient to carry the load. I’d shop bigger panels (1/2 the price per watt) and I’m guessing you’d want 1000W of panels. A 1500 or 2000W inverter. Charge controller, cables, fuses.

Partly simpler is an AIO
Watch the vid on this page. But you’ll need 230V - the site linked is for USA markets. 120V
But the vid iirc shows an window air conditioner running. At least I think that’s the one.

EDIT: Nope. This is the video I meant

So, my question. Would the Renogy 100W ( Amazon ) connected to a 1000kw inverter be enough to power a 500W A/C unit?
A 500W load requires 500W of power. You need at least 500W of solar panels to power a 500W load. And that doesn't take into account the fact that you typically don't get 100% out of solar panels due to sun angle, clouds, shade, haze, etc. It also doesn't take into account inverter inefficiencies nor the high A/C startup loads.

When you say "1000kW" inverter I assume you mean 1000W (or 1kW). 1000kW would be 1000000W or 1MW.

A 1000W inverter can run a 500W A/C but it may not support the startup surge of the A/C. You might need a 1500W or even 2000W inverter to be able to handle the startup surge.

I would suggest at least 700W of solar panels and you must have a battery to help with startup power and the occasional cloud. Plus, an off-grid inverter needs a battery.

and my office/studio facing south and receiving all the sun all day, I want to harness the sun to power some A/C.
It sounds like you are expecting solar power to be cheaper than grid power. Solar power is almost always more expensive on a small scale in lower sun areas than grid power.

But solar is a LOT of fun and a good learning experience.

Using a 2000W array in the video (0:20sec) is a long long way from the OPs 100W panel.
Exactly.
100W can’t run 500W loads as you know.
I thought the vids would be educational as to scale.
Does this mean the all-in-one coolers for computers? will such a device provide adequate cooling for a bedroom?
No.
An all-in-one for solar is a single box that has integrated a charge controller, transfer switch, grid charging, an inverter, and connecting points for the in/out wiring

Does this mean the all-in-one coolers for computers? will such a device provide adequate cooling for a bedroom?

(total noob here)
All in one = power banks, like a Jackery for example. But Jackery's arent that good for hooking up your own solar panels, they use their own proprietary connectors & mppt.

Runs on 48vdc
Interesting
But for the unit plus panels etc is almost US$3000 and you can’t use it to make coffee, run your computer, or have some lights.

A window AC and the solar to run it would be less than $3000 and it could run your lights.

Back