diy solar

diy solar

newbee-Need suggestions on bring some batteries back to life

walt1122

Hello all, I recently bought 20 of these 9S 32.85V 2.89ah 94.93WH LI-ION PACK + BMS from Battery Hookup for salvage only, and trying to figure out how to make them work. Right now I'm using a cheap Chinese 1500W boost inverter powered by a 12v AC transformer I hade laying around from some outside light system. I'm pushing 36VDC into the pack after a bridge rectifier and I did get a couple to come alive but most are at -0- or some part of a volt. I have taken a couple of them apart and the issues vary. Some have a couple of good cell packs while others are dead, dead, dead. Some have a full charge at the pack but the BMS TX60 shows nothing going out. So anyway I can do this on the cheap? Is it worth it? Can someone recommend a working method to figure out how to do this? I'm just playing around here to try and learn more about all this but would consider this a good learning opportunity before I play around with more expensive equipment.

thanks

Walt

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-21 14.40.27.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-21 14.40.27.png
    286.2 KB · Views: 2
Welcome to the forum.

IMHO, you paid them to accept their Lithium e-waste.

You need to stop doing what you're doing right now. This is the lithium that catches fire.

You need to break them down to each cell and process them individually respecting the cell limits. Charge at 0.05C until voltage will hold above 2.0V and then charge to full 0.5C or lower. Once you've confirmed a cell can hold a full charge, test internal resistance.

Any cell that is bulged or leaking should not be charged.

Yes, I am aware of the fire issues. I was playing around with the 18650 cells and thought that was just an accident waiting to happen. Thought these were a little more DIY friendly. I'm taking care to not beat these up, I think. They came with their own BMS and TX60 connector so I'm just trying to put a charge into them. Shouldn't the BMS be controlling the amount of charge? I just thought I was doing it wrong that the voltage had dropped so low the BMS couldn't recognize the pack and not charge it like the issue with old used 18650 cells or is the smaller blue/white wire needed to power up the BMS somehow like the old ATX power supply before it is activated? Thought maybe someone here was familiar with them. So far three have taken a full 32v charge. I haven't tried to test the capacity yet. I don't have the equipment. I was going to string three 35w x 12v light bulbs together to put a load on the batteries to see how long they lasted. Meantime it is the 4 or so that I tried to charge and that didn't work and in at least one case the battery pack at the most negative terminal of the pack and the positive terminal show 32 volts but the BMS shows nothing at the TX60. Couldn't that just mean the BMS isn't working as designed? I hear you about taking them apart and doing the slow trickle charge but it is a nightmare to do and was hoping there was some other way. I have removed two modules from their protective case and exposed the BMS modules and battery packets. I'm trying to use a TP4056 to power up one packet at a time. I did hear from other guys on another forum who said they ordered them and had good success using some expensive $250+ balance charger. Just wanting to get my feet wet I thought these might be a good way to start without breaking the bank.

I hear your concern about the proliferation of e-waste. The industry needs to do more to get this stuff back into the main recycling process just like we have done with lead batteries and other toxic materials. But if we can reuse and repurpose just like so many are trying to do with their DIY projects and find forums like this to help guide them I think it is a short-term solution to a long-term problem.

thanks

Walt

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-21 19.58.33.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-21 19.58.33.png
    225.9 KB · Views: 3
Hello all, I recently bought 20 of these 9S 32.85V 2.89ah 94.93WH LI-ION PACK + BMS from Battery Hookup for salvage only, and trying to figure out how to make them work. Right now I'm using a cheap Chinese 1500W boost inverter powered by a 12v AC transformer I hade laying around from some outside light system. I'm pushing 36VDC into the pack after a bridge rectifier and I did get a couple to come alive but most are at -0- or some part of a volt. I have taken a couple of them apart and the issues vary. Some have a couple of good cell packs while others are dead, dead, dead. Some have a full charge at the pack but the BMS TX60 shows nothing going out. So anyway I can do this on the cheap? Is it worth it? Can someone recommend a working method to figure out how to do this? I'm just playing around here to try and learn more about all this but would consider this a good learning opportunity before I play around with more expensive equipment.

thanks

Walt
Just saw it, maybe someone else find it usefull.

Back