diy solar

diy solar

Newbie BMS dilemma-48v

WaterDoctor

Good day everyone, I'm building my first lifepo4 banks and I fell down the BMS rabbit hole. I know it does not have to be this way, but the more posts I read, the less I want to use electricity anymore. I believe my requirements are quite simple, I want a reliable BMS so my cells can last FOREVER (or close to it). I don't need much out of the cells, so I am going to program it very conservatively- the new banks will be paralleled with a 612ah FLA bank (separate CCs). I ordered 36 272/280ah LISHEN cells- 2 16 cell banks and 4 extra cells to play with. I have a Magnum 4448 inverter and Classic CCs. I only use around 15kwh a day (24hrs), but I will grow into the system. I do not need low temp cutoff (caribbean) and since I will not charge these high or run them low, do I need an AB? Should I go with Overkill, Daly, Chargery or another brand? If this goes smoothly I will order 2 more banks. Thanks for your help.

I may be a newbie, but I think if you did get a daly, then used a battery protect and parameters on your charge controller you could avoid the BMS cut-off entirely and keep your batteries in good condition. I also went down that rabbit hole and realised I just want a BMS to keep it balanced and with safety features, the fine details I could set down-up stream :)

Thanks for the reply. Very similar to what I've been thinking. My only concern is the lack of reliability some have found with Daly BMSs.

Hello @WaterDoctor. I'm in process of designing a set up using Magnum MS-4448PAE along with some 16s of 280Ah prismatic cells myself. I'm only for emergency power backup though, so no solar.

Did you end up selecting a BMS, if so, what brand, and does how does it interface with the inverter?

Back