diy solar

diy solar

Newbie charging 14.6 Volt LiFePo4 100AH Batteries

rmcard

I am attempting to charge several (Qty 16) 14.6 Volt LiFePo4 100AH Batteries in sets of 4 batteries each daisy chained in parallel. I do NOT have the battery monitoring system for these batteries although they originally did have one.

I have a charger made specifically for charging LiFePo4 batteries rated at 20 Amps and 14.6 Volts but the charge voltage it is non-adjustable and is only equipped with a couple of LEDs to let you know it's charging and when it has fully charged. It does not plug in to the battery monitoring pigtails that are equipped on the batteries and therefor only senses battery condition and charging thru the battery main terminals.

I tried charging one battery by itself and once the charger indicated full charge the battery voltage was initially reading 14.64 Volts but after resting a day it settled down to around 13.5 volts and seems to be holding there after around a month.

Question: Do I run the risk of overcharging these batteries and having something catastrophic happening (like fire or explosion) if I have a charger that charges my batteries a smidge above (14.65 Volts) the rated 14.6 Volts???? Especially when I am charging them in banks of 4 batteries at a time???

I have no way of using the integral monitoring system that the batteries have.

It is doubtful you are getting much benefit with your pack voltage way up at 14.6 with Lifepo4. On my 4SCalb 180ah I charge to 13.8. Personally, I think about buying one of these low cost voltage sensors and tied to a relay and shut off your charge at 13.8 and call it a day.

Back