diy solar

diy solar

Newbie considering 24V SUV overlanding system? Suggestions welcome :-)

arnicooper

Hi,

Car is a 2013 VW Touareg, but expect later to have some type of Land Cruiser (maybe 2 years out). I'm wanting a system I can migrate to the new vehicle later and that can be a setup for an RV trailer (say an 18' Airstream)

I'm a relative newbie in this but have been researching these potential plans and making changes for more than a year now. So far, I've stuck with grid-tied AC charging of my current battery (12V 125Ah AGM) and wish to purchase something like the following:

I'm designing to be able to have a 50L fridge/freezer, 24V Cpap, laptop (batteries are 90Whr, but I also have a car DC charger, and I'm a heavy user for biz), phone, and other small appliances for traveling for a couple of weeks at a time.

24V 50Ah LiFePo4 (Battleborn? Other better? more affordable? but excellent build quality for price: bang for buck, cost per kwh * cycles, etc.). I may have to choose a
- Alternative: 24V 100Ah battery (heavier than I'd want to move around): Ampere Time 24V 100AH LiFePO4 Lithium Iron Battery

24V solar panel (120W? 150W?):
- Newpowa 120W 24V Monocrystalline Solar Panel Designed for 24V Charge System? Other

24V DC-DC charger w/MPPT (for running off 12V alternator and solar). This has been my biggest challenge so far. My VW is 12V (~220a). I haven't seen good/excellent products that will yield: all 4 things desired: DC-DC (for car), MPPT (for solar), ~30A, and 24V.
- Previously I was planning on charging the 12V 125ah AGM, but planned to go bigger later, I had already purchased (but not yet setup) a Renogy 60A
- considered: Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT 100V 30 amp 12/24-Volt Solar Charge Controller (Bluetooth)
- considered: Victron Energy Orion-Tr Smart 24/12-Volt 30 amp 360-Watt DC-DC Charger Non-Isolated (Bluetooth)
Can I find one that has good amperage, 24V, DC-DC, and MPPT?

DC to DC Battery Charger for Flooded, Gel, AGM, and Lithium Using Multi-Stage Charging.
- I've also considered a Redarc 1250D to maximize my charging

2000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter: GIANDEL 24 Volt 2000W Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter DC 24V to AC120V with Dual AC Outlets with Remote Control 2.4A USB and LED Display

24V Fridge: something like a (other suggestions welcomed):
- Alpicool C50 Portable Refrigerator 53 Quart(50 Liter) 12 Volt Car Freezer for Vehicle, Truck, RV, Boat, Mini Fridge Freezer for Travel, Outdoor, Home -12/24V DC and 110-240V AC (Black and Silver)

Battery Power Center: I will make, similar to Newport Vessels Trolling Motor Smart Battery Box Power Center with USB and DC Ports, Black, Medium

Plugs: Anderson-type plugs: for how many amps should I design for? 50A? 40A? If Renogy 60A above then 75A?

Gauge Wire for interconnecting devices around each other (i.e. <16")

Gauge Wire for running from battery to rear (10') 4AWG? or from engine bay to rear of car (20') 2AWG? I'd like voltage drop to be as close to 1% or lower as possible

Design: since my main battery (largest battery that fits in a VW) sits under my car seat, I thought I might run the setup to the rear a few feet in front of the fridge setup (accessible from the back door).

I'm just putting these initial thoughts out as I try to create a good system which can eventually run several LiFePo4 batteries in series for the Airstream).

I'm sensing that I may need to give up on trying to have my perfect system together (mostly because of the 24V DC-DC auto/solar charger). I'm hoping that I don't and thought I'd seek your suggestions.

Please let me know your thoughts, suggestions, criticisms, etc.. And thank you so much for your time and assistance in advance.

Last edited:
Back