diy solar

diy solar

Newbie from Central Oregon

Enigma

Greetings from Central Oregon,

I am about to start my first DIY install on my 2018 ATC model 8528 Toy Hauler (bumper pull). I had a professionally installed system on my last RV. I decided to go DIY for a number of reasons.

-Save $: My last pro install I cut corners to hit a budget. This time I want to build exactly what I want.

-Hobby, learn something new.

-Hopefully, I will gain enough experience to think on my feet and troubleshoot if a field repair is necessary. Also, I would like to be able to help others if they are stuck and in a pinch out on the road somewhere.

I have purchased most of my components & supplies and have been studying but there are a couple of areas where I am stuck.

Greetings from Central Oregon,

I am about to start my first DIY install on my 2018 ATC model 8528 Toy Hauler (bumper pull). I had a professionally installed system on my last RV. I decided to go DIY for a number of reasons.

-Save $: My last pro install I cut corners to hit a budget. This time I want to build exactly what I want.

-Hobby, learn something new.

-Hopefully, I will gain enough experience to think on my feet and troubleshoot if a field repair is necessary. Also, I would like to be able to help others if they are stuck and in a pinch out on the road somewhere.

I have purchased most of my components & supplies and have been studying but there are a couple of areas where I am stuck.
Which are? I'm surprised you hvae purchased the components. Do you have a solid design already? Did you do the load and kwh calculations?

I did a power audit and worse case I would use about 4200 WH IN A 24 hr period. A friend had good luck with Battleborn direct so I went through them. I know there are cheaper options out there but I also wanted the support and I have been very pleased so far. A lot of the equipment I purchased is similar to my friend. He can help me with issues that may arise in the field
as we camp a lot together.

My friend did draw up a schematic for me. I also like a few elements of the 50A schematic from explorist.life

explorist.life 50A OEM Retrofit

Here is a list of components. My TH is a 50A service trailer with a Progressive Dynamics 4560 all in one charger/converter/service panel (FLA charging module). Also a on board Onan 5500 with transfer switch. 150w panel and PWM controller was OEM. 8ga wire from roof panel to PWM SCC. 6/4 SOOW coming in from shore receptacl.

4-6 qty Sunpower SPR-X20-250-BLK. I bought 10 panels but 4 are earmarked for a family member so I could use up to 6

4qty Battleborn 100AH batteries
Victron Multiplus II 3000kva (2x120v)+smartdongle+RJ45
Victron Smartsolar SCC 150/100 (panels wired 6p)
Victron BMV-712 smartshunt
Victron Power in
Blue Sea for switching / breaker / fuses

Last edited:
Back