diy solar

diy solar

Newbie from Portugal building a house :)

ho, nice, thank you, maybe you can help me figure something out that I cant seem to find in the documentation that I have read so far.

can these do peak shaving ? e.g. if I am pulling from the grid and I need 10KW, can I tell it to only let 5KW come from the grid and the invert supply the other 5? or is it more like a ON/OFF ?
Alternatively, If I am pulling from the inverter and I need 10KW will it supply 8KW and pull 2KW from the grid or will it just shut down and pull the 10KW from the grid ?

Thank you
the units can pull load from different sources and augment them :

load 10 kw > solar 2 kw > battery > grid

they are however not hybrid inverters, but grid assisted

I see.
This would mean that I have to specify the inverter to be the primary supply and have the total max capacity I will need.
Assuming I will be using 10kw continuously, I could load share with the grid when the sun is out but at nigh I can either be pulling those 10kw from the battery or the grid, not half from each.

I see.
This would mean that I have to specify the inverter to be the primary supply and have the total max capacity I will need.
Assuming I will be using 10kw continuously, I could load share with the grid when the sun is out but at nigh I can either be pulling those 10kw from the battery or the grid, not half from each.

Exactly.

On battery you can set the low V. So when it stops using the battery and switch to grid.
Or in the new inverters if you have a BMS connection then you can set SoC % too.

Victron inverters can do what you want. But they costs 3-4x the MPP Solar/Voltronic Axpert inverters (even more the clones) .

Exactly.

On battery you can set the low V. So when it stops using the battery and switch to grid.
Or in the new inverters if you have a BMS connection then you can set SoC % too.

Victron inverters can do what you want. But they costs 3-4x the MPP Solar/Voltronic Axpert inverters (even more the clones) .
and if you add solar assistant, you could do basic time shedding :

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220406-124119.jpg
    Screenshot_20220406-124119.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 10
Wow a lot of negativity at the start of the thread. Why visit this forum then?
(edit: I don't mean the topic starter obviously)

It can all be built. I already have a (much smaller) house in Netherlands, that would do perfectly fine off grid in Portugal because of the sun. And of course it includes induction cooking as well. Which does not burn up my clean interior air.

Question is how much you pay per kWh for new contracts and base the price calculations on that.

Last edited:
and if you add solar assistant, you could do basic time shedding :
Wow, that's awesome. I'm stuck with one stagnant SOC/voltage for the switch to grid. Then +0.5 volts to go back to battery.

That set up is easy and well thought out! I like it and wish it was supported by Schneider.

You actually have air scarcity over there? View attachment 90216
-
When it is winter I don't want to pull in cold air from outside.
And when it is summer I don't want the heat of a gas stove. Especially not in Portugal, in a well insulated home.
In fact in summers in Netherlands I already had occasions where the house heats up more than I wanted when I still had a gas stove. And it still sometimes does with the oven.
But yeah I have Rc 5.0 insulated walls.

People who love their gas stoves often don't realize that you need to completely refresh the living room air for making a decent meal (lets say half an hour use at least) because you burnt up all those cubic meters of air.

Gas stoves aren't more powerful than induction, and they are harder to clean. Also I can still take the pan off because the handles aren't hot. Added are some timer functions.
We will never go back to gas stoves, it is old tech.

And in a European context when using natural gas from a grid gas connection, you are making yourself dependend on geopolitics. 45% of the gas is Russian gas.
Which is completely dumb, especially in Portugal, when there is free energy all around. Why the hassle of gas bottles?
Even in the Netherlands I can power the induction hob most of the time by stored solar energy.

It is not that hard to build that. And this is the perfect forum for this.

Yeah, no, sorry for derailing the thread, I just... should have learned by now about countering totally absurd affirmations in this day and age.
One just hopes the age of enlightenment isn't completely dead... but there's really not much hope for that, is there. :·/
No more from me on this subject.
-

Thanks for your inputs :)
After doing some maths on consumption I don't think it would be a good idea to go with an inverter that can't load share with the grid at night.
Any recommendations on other inverters that are able to do that? I think the deye ones can but struggling to find them in Europe

Thanks

What do you mean by load share at night?

I have all the Victron stuff. You can program certain times it is allowed to take from the grid and you can configure it for more self consumption.
However, I find that the powerassist function, which it is very capable of, is hard to use in combination with the self consumption mode.

Thanks for your inputs :)
After doing some maths on consumption I don't think it would be a good idea to go with an inverter that can't load share with the grid at night.
Any recommendations on other inverters that are able to do that? I think the deye ones can but struggling to find them in Europe

Thanks
there are dealers on swiss, austria and france for deye.
not sure what you mean " cant load share" , i believe my screenshots were pretty clear that basic load sharing isnt a problem at all

hummm, I am confused now.

Let me try be clear.
Big Loads that I might want to have simultaneously (night or day) all 230V single phase (Europe).
  • 4KW (electrical)- Heat pump (11KW is the heating power not the electric load)
  • 4KW induction hob (this would be for 2 pots/pans ON)
  • 3KW Oven
  • 2KW Kettle (short duration)
I could list more but the likelihood of them being ON at the same time diminishes.
So given this I might need about 13KW supply at any time.

From What I previously understood (maybe incorrectly) from mrzed001 posts, the Voltronic/Primo Axper/MPP 8KW inverter can not load share when pulling from battery only and it would work in the following way to achieve 13KW:
  • During the day:
    • Produce ~8KW from solar + get remaining ~5KW from Grid
  • During the night:
    • Either Consume 8KW MAX from the battery
      OR
    • Switch the entire load to GRID (13KW)
This is what I meant by these inverters not being able to load share (with grid) at night when pulling from the battery (but maybe they can and I just misunderstood).

What I am looking for is a 5 to 8 KW All-in-One inverter that can:
  • During the day:
  • During the night:
    • Get 8KW from the battery + get remaining ~5KW from Grid

Hope this is clear and thank you all for your help

Last edited:
Perhaps something is getting lost in the translation? ?‍♂️
It seems simple on the surface.
Produce as much as possible and use the grid for what you can not produce.

I believe the difficulty in understanding is in relation to the load usage scheduling.
Solar systems will produce X amount of power, batteries will store Y amount of power, the house requires Z amount of power.
The goal is to have X = Y which equals Z.

With variable rates in relation to electrical costs, the issue becomes more difficult. Am I correct?

hummm, I am confused now.

Let me try be clear.
Big Loads that I might want to have simultaneously (night or day) all 230V single phase (Europe).
  • 4KW (electrical)- Heat pump (11KW is the heating power not the electric load)
  • 4KW induction hob (this would be for 2 pots/pans ON)
  • 3KW Oven
  • 2KW Kettle (short duration)
Heat pump? Is it 1 phase or 3 phase ?
For 3 phase you need 3 MPP Solar inverter. Or a Deye 3 phase hybrid inverter.

I could list more but the likelihood of them being ON at the same time diminishes.
So given this I might need about 13KW supply at any time.

From What I previously understood (maybe incorrectly) from mrzed001 posts, the Voltronic/Primo Axper/MPP 8KW inverter can not load share when pulling from battery only and it would work in the following way to achieve 13KW:
  • During the day:
  • During the night:
    • Either Consume 8KW MAX from the battery
      OR
    • Switch the entire load to GRID (13KW)
This is what I meant by these inverters not being able to load share (with grid) at night when pulling from the battery (but maybe they can and I just misunderstood).

What I am looking for is a 5 to 8 KW All-in-One inverter that can:
  • During the day:
  • During the night:
    • Get 8KW from the battery + get remaining ~5KW from Grid

Hope this is clear and thank you all for your help

Victron and Deye inverters can do it.

But why do you need it ?
The grid connection is too low Amp? And you have to add your own power to supply your loads ?
This is the only reason I can think where you need this solution.

everything is single phase, I don't have 3 phase in the house or supply.

I would need it so I can supply 13KW to the house at night without having to get it all from the grid.
In Portugal we pay a fixed monthly fee based on the max power input from the grid and above 7KW that fee grows exponentially.
So, in effect, like you said "the grid connection is too low Amp" it isn't ... but we pay a lot for it not to be.

Last edited:
everything is single phase, I don't have 3 phase in the house or supply.

I would need it so I can supply 13KW to the house at night without having to get it all from the grid?
In Portugal we pay a fixed monthly fee based on the max power input from the grid and above 7KW that fee grows exponentially.
So, in effect, like you said "the grid connection is too low Amp" it isn't ... but we pay a lot for it not to be.
So, is the goal to ensure your "PEAK USAGE" never exceeds 7kw?

Back