diy solar

diy solar

Newbie from Portugal building a house :)

Cool, that is an achievable goal.

If you want to accomplish that goal with automation we will work in one direction.
If you want to accomplish that goal manually we will work in another direction.

You pick one.

everything is single phase, I don't have 3 phase in the house or supply.

I would need it so I can supply 13KW to the house at night without having to get it all from the grid.
In Portugal we pay a fixed monthly fee based on the max power input from the grid and above 7KW that fee grows exponentially.
So, in effect, like you said "the grid connection is too low Amp" it isn't ... but we pay a lot for it not to be.

OK. The heat pump is what bothered me. Usually for higher W it is 3 phase.

Then 1 phase Victron inverters can do the trick: MultiPlus II or Quattro. Costs a lot. Needs separate MPPT's too.
Maybe 1 phase Deye inverters (5-8kW) can do it too. Not sure, I have to check it.

Checked, Deye can too :)
Deye_Peak_Shaving.png

Last edited:
Brilliant, thank.
Would prefer all in on and not at victron prices.

Will have a look at the deye ones, what is the reliability / support, etc on them?

Brilliant, thank.
Would prefer all in on and not at victron prices.

Will have a look at the deye ones, what is the reliability / support, etc on them?

In US they are sold under the name Sol-Ark.
One of the top sellers :)

In England they are sold under the name SunSynk.

You can buy it directly from Deye (alibaba).
Here is its official page with manuals:

Been up to this whilst waiting for the electrician to finish the mains breaker panel so i can connect it all :)
IMG_20220714_102044.jpg
IMG_20220714_172200.jpg

IMG_20220714_173451.jpg

Last edited:
The roof is at 30 degrees inclination, gained another 5 by making the rear threaded bars 15cm longer than the front ones...
Still not ideal but best I could get without wife telling me its ugly ?
IMG_20220713_083046.jpg

Last edited:
What’s the most relevant solar panel to install on a house’s roof? I’m new to thinking, and I just wonder what panels it’s better to choose. There are not so many sunny days in the area where I live, and I wonder whether it’s relevant.
I just want to slowly move off the grid and become more independent in my consumption. I already grow my fresh food such as potatoes and other vegetables. It’s very nice to have your food, and it would be even better to have my electricity. I want to invite www.sjonessurveying.co.uk to see how well panels would fit on the roof, but I need to understand whether it’s a good idea in general.

IMG_20220803_134907.jpg

Slowly getting there

IMG_20220921_140456.jpgIMG_20220926_151102.jpg
Charging station with a 60Amp 3.6v psu.

Got an arduino to do data logging to the laptop and control a relay that shuts down the psu if voltage goes above 3.6

I hope you were able to install solar panels according to the guides on YouTube, haha. I would never have been able to do so much work myself in my life, you are a very cool guy, and I hope you will be able to make your dream home. I prefer the simpler option of buying a house. For example, about a month ago, I was looking for a house in Alabaster through this website -- https://www.realtysouth.com/alabaster-homes-for-sale. In the end, I found myself an inexpensive, beautiful, large house in which I need to do a little renovation. Still, I can do it myself, which will be ideal for living.

Last edited:
Deye seems to be sold out ... ended up buying a "Turbo Energy"

inversor-hibrido-turbo-energy-48v-5

apparently made by Deye with Deye software but rebranded by a company for the Spanish market.

I hope its a rebrand and not a clone :confused:

Does anyone know ?
I'm also from Portugal, we have a Deye distributor here, I believe that Turbo Energy is rebranded you can check it installing the mobile app Deye Cloud that is a variation of solarman with the plus that you can connect directly to the inverter and adjust the parameters.

Did you never hear of off-grid with grid support systems ?
Many (most in EU) only know grid-tie and separated off-grid systems. And know nothing about other alternatives.
Really EU is 10-15 years behind US in this. Knowledge and some regulations missing too.

An off-grid with grid support and GTIsystems lets the grid through (to the house)
If sun is up then it lowers the grid consumption by the amount the PV system is generating.
You do not need to be able to generate all the power your home needs (separate off-grid) if full UPS mode is not required.

Also 40K € ???? Whaaaat ?
14,4 kWh LiFePO4 is $2700 + BMS $200
An 5kW MPP Solar off-grid (with grid support) inverter costs about $800
An 12kW 3 phase real hybrid Deye inverter costs about $3300
You have a x6 somewhere in your calculation :ROFLMAO:
The comment re EU US solar is absolute nonsense. Many EU countries are streets ahead. We have all manor of solar grid combinations and typically far bigger grant and subsidy supports too.

We can do on grid , grid tied , hybrid , battery , no grid , full feed through grid

Europe is streets ahead in renewables , US is an old tech country mains /grid in the US is in the dark ages.(?look at Texas ) I haven’t had a grid blackout in 27 years.

In my country EU everything is possible within limits. I don’t need or can be forced to connect to the grid at all. ( unlike many US grids ). Us is streets behind in renewables.

Note the EU is a big place hence making such sweeping generalisation as you did is nonsense.

Last edited:
That makes no sense. Gas is very simple to install. I've seen it installed in less than a day (methane, from pipes) in a 17th century house, imagine how far the build was on that ;·)
-
It depends on the certification required and the building must be designed with gas apllicaces in mind.gas heating is extremely common.

The comment re EU US solar is absolute nonsense. Many EU countries are streets ahead. We have all manor of solar grid combinations and typically far bigger grant and subsidy supports too.

We can do on grid , grid tied , hybrid , battery , no grid , full feed through grid

Europe is streets ahead in renewables , US is an old tech country mains /grid in the US is in the dark ages.(?look at Texas ) I haven’t had a grid blackout in 27 years.

In my country EU everything is possible within limits. I don’t need or can be forced to connect to the grid at all. ( unlike many US grids ). Us is streets behind in renewables.

Note the EU is a big place hence making such sweeping generalisation as you did is nonsense.

Nope. EU is waaaay behind US in off-grid system installs.
We have a LOT of grid-tie ... but off-grid way less (hybridized grid-tie's without backup box count as grid-tie, sincs in a blackout they stop working even they have a battery installed).
In the last 2 year it changed but still there is a 10 year gap.
The main reason is legislation and utility companies.

Off-grid with grid support inverters (that can do Peak shaving with internal backfeed protection) are still in the grey area.
These are the MPP Solar/Voltronic Axpert (and clones like EASun, Must, PowMr) inverters.
In many countries even if you use it like an UPS (no Peak Shaving, power comes from utility OR inverter) it is not considered as an Off-grid inverter (and needs permit or registration or ... ).

The other reason as you said: no blackouts in EU.
Because we have a much more stable grid so we do not prepare for blackouts.

And the next big EU blackout is on the corner ...
Many EU countries prepare the people for a big winter blackout
RTL_aramszunet.jpg

And they have a lot of reason to do so.
In 2021.01.08 the whole EU grid merely get away.
The EU power grid separated into two part.
7YhqvuboqhmwAs5ys[1].jpeg

The north part exported a lot from the south ... and one tiny not so significant station disconnected with overload.
The frequency dropped in north and rise in the south.
7Yhr4MNC11QgB85qs[1].png

The automatic systems could stop it before it became a cascade.

But now the winter power consumption will be much higher because of the extreme high propane prizes.

Nope. EU is waaaay behind US in off-grid system installs.
We have a LOT of grid-tie ... but off-grid way less (hybridized grid-tie's without backup box count as grid-tie, sincs in a blackout they stop working even they have a battery installed).
In the last 2 year it changed but still there is a 10 year gap.
The main reason is legislation and utility companies.

Off-grid with grid support inverters (that can do Peak shaving with internal backfeed protection) are still in the grey area.
These are the MPP Solar/Voltronic Axpert (and clones like EASun, Must, PowMr) inverters.
In many countries even if you use it like an UPS (no Peak Shaving, power comes from utility OR inverter) it is not considered as an Off-grid inverter (and needs permit or registration or ... ).

The other reason as you said: no blackouts in EU.
Because we have a much more stable grid so we do not prepare for blackouts.

And the next big EU blackout is on the corner ...
Many EU countries prepare the people for a big winter blackout
View attachment 120960

And they have a lot of reason to do so.
In 2021.01.08 the whole EU grid merely get away.
The EU power grid separated into two part.
View attachment 120962

The north part exported a lot from the south ... and one tiny not so significant station disconnected with overload.
The frequency dropped in north and rise in the south.
View attachment 120963

The automatic systems could stop it before it became a cascade.

But now the winter power consumption will be much higher because of the extreme high propane prizes.
The vast majority of grid installs in Ireland are not grid tied at all. That’s a fairly recent development as we had no net metering or feed in tarrifs, hence little reason to grid tie( that is changing as the grid is ultra stable )

In fact I know several completely off grid installs but these in a country with ever ending cloud cover system very rate.

The grid here is ultra stable and therefore most solar PV install have been until lately largely aficionados

Here there’s no compunction to join the grid anyway. It’s totally up to the house holder. New part L building regs now force some form of “ renewables” but this is often tokenism.

Gas here has fallen back in price and is rarely used for heating except Most people in cities are in locally sourced “ Celtic sea “ natural gas in the countryside is almost totally diesel based heating as well as a lot of solid fuel. Electrically based heating is most unusual.

Gas heating is very cheap and remains so.

Diesel at the pumps is down to 1.€1.78 a litre which is a dramatic decline.

Blackouts in Europe are entirely over stated no significant blackouts will be seen , energy supplies are secure France has stacks of nuclear.

The big issue for some countries is the booming economy is demanding more power especially data centres. This is sparking capacity issues. Certainly this is the biggest issue here.

I see no reason or future on non grid tied anyway. The grid is Better , the non grid advocates in thee Us ate partly in a “ prepper” politics. Nothing thankfully like that nonsense exists in Europe.

The vast majority of grid installs in Ireland are not grid tied at all. That’s a fairly recent development as we had no net metering or feed in tarrifs, hence little reason to grid tie( that is changing as the grid is ultra stable )

In fact I know several completely off grid installs but these in a country with ever ending cloud cover system very rate.

The grid here is ultra stable and therefore most solar PV install have been until lately largely aficionados

Here there’s no compunction to join the grid anyway. It’s totally up to the house holder. New part L building regs now force some form of “ renewables” but this is often tokenism.

Gas here has fallen back in price and is rarely used for heating except Most people in cities are in locally sourced “ Celtic sea “ natural gas in the countryside is almost totally diesel based heating as well as a lot of solid fuel. Electrically based heating is most unusual.

Gas heating is very cheap and remains so.

Diesel at the pumps is down to 1.€1.78 a litre which is a dramatic decline.

Blackouts in Europe are entirely over stated no significant blackouts will be seen , energy supplies are secure France has stacks of nuclear.

The big issue for some countries is the booming economy is demanding more power especially data centres. This is sparking capacity issues. Certainly this is the biggest issue here.

I see no reason or future on non grid tied anyway. The grid is Better , the non grid advocates in thee Us ate partly in a “ prepper” politics. Nothing thankfully like that nonsense exists in Europe.

Ireland is a part of EU that I know very little.
Germany, Austria and the neighborhood I know.
Here there were the off-grid installs non existent. Only for some farms or chalets which is too expensive to connect it to the grid.

Grid-tie's however are common (5-50 kW average 9kW). Like in a 50-100 house street 2-10 house has it.
Even it is not a good tariff many sell it to grid and use internally.
In some places there is even a "balance" tariff ... so like you turn back your utility meter (same cost for selling and buying).

Also Germany started the Balkonkraftwerks ... where you can plug in a 600W micro inverter to an outlet without any registration and utility hassle.
Also its battery counterpart where you can connect up to 4,5kW GTIL inverter (with LFP battery if you like).
Also ESS battery systems as an expansion for grid-tie systems (to raise inside use of the PV power you generated)

But these are Grid-tie systems too. In a blackout they all stop working.

Only lately started the Off-grid with grid support revolution here. And the MPP Solar and the clone inverters selling fast.
But there is the little problem with the legislations ... that holds it back.

The best solution of course is the real hybrid systems with batteries. Even there is some legislations problem in some country.

Germany had blown up 3 nuclear reactors. France had to stop some of the 30 reactors because regular maintenance.
And because of the very high propane prizes a LOT bought electric heating elements (electric heater, AC, heat pump)
Never ever was so high grid usage in winter than it will be this year ...

Ireland is a part of EU that I know very little.
Germany, Austria and the neighborhood I know.
Here there were the off-grid installs non existent. Only for some farms or chalets which is too expensive to connect it to the grid.

Grid-tie's however are common (5-50 kW average 9kW). Like in a 50-100 house street 2-10 house has it.
Even it is not a good tariff many sell it to grid and use internally.
In some places there is even a "balance" tariff ... so like you turn back your utility meter (same cost for selling and buying).

Also Germany started the Balkonkraftwerks ... where you can plug in a 600W micro inverter to an outlet without any registration and utility hassle.
Also its battery counterpart where you can connect up to 4,5kW GTIL inverter (with LFP battery if you like).
Also ESS battery systems as an expansion for grid-tie systems (to raise inside use of the PV power you generated)

But these are Grid-tie systems too. In a blackout they all stop working.

Only lately started the Off-grid with grid support revolution here. And the MPP Solar and the clone inverters selling fast.
But there is the little problem with the legislations ... that holds it back.

The best solution of course is the real hybrid systems with batteries. Even there is some legislations problem in some country.

Germany had blown up 3 nuclear reactors. France had to stop some of the 30 reactors because regular maintenance.
And because of the very high propane prizes a LOT bought electric heating elements (electric heater, AC, heat pump)
Never ever was so high grid usage in winter than it will be this year ...
My point was if you scan around through solar in Europe if anything it’s more diverse then anything in the US. There’s are net metering grid tied , non grid in abundance. Many countries have very different setups often driven by public policy initiatives and tax rebates.

But it’s as if not more diverse then the US that’s for sure.

Of course since the grid is so good why would anyone in their right mind not want to have a connection everyone dors there’s none of this “ anti grid anti Gov anti authority politics “ which are behind some of the US non grid installs. It’s all political nonsense.

By the way grid tied in a blackout DONT stop working you just have to have the correct anti-islanding system installed. My friend has just that. Please educate yourself as to the various country codes. He’s on a heavy forested area and suffers from tree fall.

The future is thd grid, all hail the grid. Get in line comrades

Last edited:
Back