diy solar

diy solar

Newbie from Portugal building a house :)

the netherlands
Do they want to kill grid-tie solar systems ?
Now when the whole EU is in energy crisis ?
20 French nuclear reactor is shut down for maintenance ... Germany blow up 3 .... propane prizes gone through the roof ...
Russia stopped propane export to EU. So this winter we have enough in storage.
But we can not fill them up before next winter (and winter is coming ... again ).
That could be a total disaster for the EU.

20 French nuclear reactor is shut down for maintenance ... Germany blow up 3 .... propane prizes gone through the roof ...
But we can not fill them up before next winter (and winter is coming ... again ).
not really..

i see this as a monitairy shift.
add to this the "digital euro" , co2 budgets and the fact that 89% of dutch electricity comes out of offshore windfarms..

call me paranoid, but too many co incidences.

so yes, i do try to get me out of the equation.
i invested in solar, batteries, all electric house , isolation and heatpump heating.

i refuse to remain a playball of governments, energy companies as much as i feasibly can.

call me paranoid if you will, i could absolutely care less

No, they just don't want too many customers with PV and then preferably those who have not more than 70% PV generation to consumption because when we balance (netmetering) on an annual basis we have to strike purchase kWh against sell/injection KWh's.

Energy suppliers have costs they can't pass on such as transportation costs from TSO/DSO then and have to divide these then over all customers as well as that sell kWh's have to resell and for both they use profiles (no real time) if that doesn't add up on the quarter hour, the TSO calculates imbalance costs
At the moment you have as much PV generation as consumption on a yearly basis you become a negative profit customer as all-electric.

The last energy supplier that still offered a fixed year contract for those with more PV generation than consumption and offered a good sell price was only open to if you was also a natural gas user.

Edit: The energy supplier isn't owner of the distribution cable/network that is the DSO
Add a battery to it and you don't fit in the used profiles and a potential cost factor, dynamic tariff energy suppliers have lesser problems with that.

Every country is there different, like which scheme did the topic starter choose, what I know from Portugal that they had daily and weekly cycles and then 1, 2 or 3 tariffs a day in which was one 50% of the price nice to load battery for the expensive period

Last edited:
Here in Portugal the netmeetering period is only 15 minutes, and even then most people report that it doesn't work, othets report that they count your injection as consumption ?

I have set my sistem to zero export because I haven't had inspection yet and if you are not registered as having solar they definitely count your export/injection as consumption even though the meter is aware of the direction of the flow (the arrows change direction on the display)

Thus me building a 28kwh battery

No, they just don't want too many customers with PV and then preferably those who have not more than 70% PV generation to consumption because when we balance (netmetering) on an annual basis we have to strike purchase kWh against sell/injection KWh's.

Energy suppliers have costs they can't pass on such as transportation costs from TSO/DSO then and have to divide these then over all customers as well as that sell kWh's have to resell and for both they use profiles (no real time) if that doesn't add up on the quarter hour, the TSO calculates imbalance costs
At the moment you have as much PV generation as consumption on a yearly basis you become a negative profit customer as all-electric.

The last energy supplier that still offered a fixed year contract for those with more PV generation than consumption and offered a good sell price was only open to if you was also a natural gas user.

Edit: The energy supplier isn't owner of the distribution cable/network that is the DSO.
only partially true..
their majority stockholders are exactly the same ..

Here in Portugal the netmeetering period is only 15 minutes, and even then most people report that it doesn't work, othets report that they count your injection as consumption ?

I have set my sistem to zero export because I haven't had inspection yet and if you are not registered as having solar they definitely count your export/injection as consumption even though the meter is aware of the direction of the flow (the arrows change direction on the display)

In Dutch with a smart meter you don't have net metering, if you haven't register your Solar.
The smart meter here has 4 counters, the DSO read out these and if not registered, the IT system send only the two values from the buy counters the energy supplier not so worse as counting as consumption

That's the middle class for us, !ucked from below and !ucked from above.
The only way to win is hand over a shite load of cash to the Chinese and by our own panels, inverters and batteries ?

I made it to show my kids the new cooktop I bought. They're both in America (the continent ;·)
Obviously, if I had bought an induction one, they would have worried that I got Alzheimer or something.
They're Italian (citizens, but also by parents), so they know a thing or two about cooking.

Luckily, so do I - not only I used to run a restaurant, but my mother was... well, long story.
I just can't believe how much people believe hype - about induction, in this case, but generally... in general ;·)
Also, on a DIY solar forum, recommending induction over gas, I find... rather obscene actually :·/
-

I'm also in Portugal and I understand you point, gas is the cheapest way and best to cook but has gonmag8 wrote if is building a house and it doesn't have a project for it is better to forgot.

Why solar? I have a similar consumption and November 2021 paid 270€ electricity and this year the electricity increase 42% in low rate and 26% in high peak since I spend most of electricity to heat the house at night this year I would have monthly bills of 380€ during winter, just received November 2022 bill and it was 109€.

I also account battery cost and still is more expensive than grid Kw/€ but I removed in big part the dependency of greedy corporations and also help the planet.

You electrician must register the installation, in www.dgeg.gov.pt and after e-redes.pt process it fast and from there you no longer pay what you inject. You have too many panels for the minimum so if you want everything legal if I'm not mistaken you will need to have a meter sending data to e-redes even if you don't sell, the alternative is your installer register less production.

Sooner or later we will pay taxes from sun and they want to know what we produce.

Also don't worry about what you will pay until you finish installation I have my Deye with the 25W minimum and it's inject about 3KW/month

You electrician must register the installation, in www.dgeg.gov.pt and after e-redes.pt process it fast and from there you no longer pay what you inject. You have too many panels for the minimum so if you want everything legal if I'm not mistaken you will need to have a meter sending data to e-redes even if you don't sell, the alternative is your installer register less production.

Sooner or later we will pay taxes from sun and they want to know what we produce.
yes, but because the house is not completely finish and the electric installations hasn't been signed off we cant register the solar installation....
Portugal... there is always something u need to do to get something else done

I have the "solar sell" unticked now

yes, but because the house is not completely finish and the electric installations hasn't been signed off we cant register the solar installation....
Portugal... there is always something u need to do to get something else done

I have the "solar sell" unticked now
I don't want to feed the grid so use this configuration and it works fine, ignore the Grid Peak Shaving but it works very well.

1669513878599.jpeg

Just to finish "stage 1" of my project.
The 14 pannels are installed totalling 6.44Kw of panels
The Deye 5KW is in and working.
The 17x 280Ah EVE LifePO4 with JK BMS are there too.

We are living in the house now and averaging a usage of 15KWh per day (heat pump only draws about 1KW to warm up the house)
This all together means I only need about 4 hours of sunshine to not use any power from the grid.
Very happy with the system.
The inverter has the right size for my usage and so does the battery , I could do will less panels but they are up there now so not going to take them down :)
Sunny winter days by 1pm the battery is full and I have nothing left to do with the energy.

Exploring various resources like YouTube and forums is a fantastic way to gather insights, and your commitment to continuous learning will undoubtedly lead to well-informed decisions.
The constraints you highlighted, such as the fixed monthly fee based on max power input and the unique energy landscape in Portugal, certainly add complexity to your project. Platforms like https://decosta.group/ could still offer valuable insights into sustainable energy solutions in modern real estate and connect you with professionals who can guide you in the right direction.

Last edited:
Back