diy solar

diy solar

Newbie: help picking rigid panels for Bluetti EB70s

Anthony Garcia

i am new to this solar power thing... so i need some assistance in picking rigid panels that will work with a Bluetti EB70. Im basically trying to make a barn on my property offgrid power using a portable power station. The station will stay at the barn full time (except for trips). I will typically use two 40W LED bulb for 3 hrs a day. Im thinking the EB70 at 700Whr should take care of that. But i would like it to be recharged with roof mounted rigid panels. I would like to use as close as possible to maximum charge potential of the EB70. it seems that's 200W input? Its not clear on their web site. I dont want to use the portable 200W bluetti panels, since they are not waterproof.. ie. when snow is on roof. But from what im reading on this forum you have to match other specs to the unit, Voltage, Amps? A simple explanation of the math would be helpful.
There's lots of choices and confusion for a newbie. Not sure if i need 12v or 24v? So some assistance would be greatly appreciated, so i can make a purchase.

here are a couple of rigid panels on amazon:

RICH SOLAR 200 Watt 24 Volt Moncrystalline​

RICH SOLAR 200 Watt 12 Volt Moncrystalline​

any thoughts on wich one these or others would work?
Or would i be better looking at two 100W? if so, in series or parallel?

Here's the info:
FASTER SOLAR/AC/CAR RECHARGING
1) Advanced MPPT technology ensures faster solar recharge rates. With max input of 200W, this power station can be fully recharged in 3-4 hrs with solar panels (OCV 12-28V, 200W); 2) It can also get fully recharged from an AC wall outlet in 3-4 hrs or a 12V car port in 7-8 hrs.

It looks like either 200 watt panel would work, but can only use up to 200 watts.

also the 24v 200W panel sais this.... will that be a problem with the EB70 input at 12-28v?

• Maximum Power(Pmax): 200W
  • Maximum Power Voltage(Vmp): 37.6V
  • Maximum Power Current(Imp): 5.32A
  • Open Circuit Voltage(Voc): 45.4V
  • Short Circuit Current(Isc): 5.83A
  • Maximum System Voltage(Vmax): 1000V DC

Sorry I hit the link and somehow got to only the 12v panel each time. You are correct, you do not want the "24v" panel, voltage will be too high. Go with the "12v" panel.

i am new to this solar power thing... so i need some assistance in picking rigid panels that will work with a Bluetti EB70. Im basically trying to make a barn on my property offgrid power using a portable power station. The station will stay at the barn full time (except for trips). I will typically use two 40W LED bulb for 3 hrs a day. Im thinking the EB70 at 700Whr should take care of that. But i would like it to be recharged with roof mounted rigid panels. I would like to use as close as possible to maximum charge potential of the EB70. it seems that's 200W input? Its not clear on their web site. I dont want to use the portable 200W bluetti panels, since they are not waterproof.. ie. when snow is on roof. But from what im reading on this forum you have to match other specs to the unit, Voltage, Amps? A simple explanation of the math would be helpful.
There's lots of choices and confusion for a newbie. Not sure if i need 12v or 24v? So some assistance would be greatly appreciated, so i can make a purchase.

here are a couple of rigid panels on amazon:

RICH SOLAR 200 Watt 12 Volt Moncrystalline​

any thoughts on wich one these or others would work?
Or would i be better looking at two 100W? if so, in series or parallel?
Two 12v (18 VOC) in parallel of any brand will work. Note, the maximum watts the EB70 will let you charge with solar is about 160 watts due to 8 Amp maximum. That is the beef I have with many power stations including my EB70 is that they cut corners on the MPPT controller and is something I will scrutinize on future purchases. What is the maximum Amp limit!

before i got Barcodenut's reply... i already moved with the purchase of EB70 and this Rich solar 170W 12v panel....
so will it work ok? hoping so... otherwise i have to try stop order before shipping.

Cool. I have two of those on top of my cargo van! Mine are installed flat on the roof so I get about 260W maximum. I would have got the 200 watt ones but I was limited on space on the roof of the van. I also purchased the EB70 and already had some panels. I bought it specifically to put in the master bedroom to power mine and my wife's CPAP's in case of a power outage. I didn't do so well using the AC so I bought the DC plug on E-Bay and it worked great for both of them. In a power outage, I will charge it the next day from two 100W panels I have in parallel and it will be ready for the next night. If it is cloudy, I have a Goal Zero Yeti 1000 in my cargo van with 340 Watts of solar into it and will charge it up with the AC adapter.
The first thing you want to do when you get your EB70 is to put it in ECO mode! Otherwise, you will have it all charged up one day and a month or so later it will be discharged to zero. It won't discharge on standby if in ECO mode. Keep the AC and DC turned off when not in use. Also, use the flashlight button to check your display status. You don't want to accidently turn off any DC or AC appliances when you check your display status. Fun stuff!

van-solar.jpg

I found this panel. I am going to order it and give it a whirl for my EB70. https://richsolar.com/collections/solar-panels/products/200-watt-solar-panel

Did you get this panel and test it out? I'm thinking it would only be capable of 163W max. Vmp of 20.4V and a max of 8A on the EB70 = 163.2W.

I found this one: https://ca.renogy.com/200-watt-12-volt-monocrystalline-solar-panel/
  • Vmp of 22.6V along with 8A on the EB70 = 180.8W.
Assuming I'm reading all of this correctly. I have an EB70 on the way and have been researching. AFAIK we just need to keep Voc below 28V and get the maximum Vmp possible on a 12V panel...

I did a very quick test with the Renogy RSP200D-CA panel and the Bluetti EB70 (both purchased in Canada if that matters for the models).

I plugged it in, pointed it at the sun, and it went up to 162W. It's only 3C here today, but clear skies. The the sun ducked behind a tree so I couldn't grab any volt or amp measurements off it. I will try again later and grab my clamp meter to check the values coming off the panel.

But so far, very happy with the price, quality, and results from this panel!

I did a very quick test with the Renogy RSP200D-CA panel and the Bluetti EB70 (both purchased in Canada if that matters for the models).

I plugged it in, pointed it at the sun, and it went up to 162W. It's only 3C here today, but clear skies. The the sun ducked behind a tree so I couldn't grab any volt or amp measurements off it. I will try again later and grab my clamp meter to check the values coming off the panel.

But so far, very happy with the price, quality, and results from this panel!
Hey, I’m new to solar and I’m getting the Bluetti EB70S power station. I’m trying to figure out if I get the Renogy RSP200D-CA solar panel, what kind of solar connector do I have to get just to plug it in to the EB70S? I want to make sure I order everything I need because I live off grid and I need it to work the first time hopefully. Many thanks for any info. K

I believe the bluettis come with their own mc4 adapter to plug into the unit. My brother just got the Bluetti AC200max and it included the right connectors for solar panels. He used a Renogy 200 watt solar panel also.

Hey, I’m new to solar and I’m getting the Bluetti EB70S power station. I’m trying to figure out if I get the Renogy RSP200D-CA solar panel, what kind of solar connector do I have to get just to plug it in to the EB70S? I want to make sure I order everything I need because I live off grid and I need it to work the first time hopefully. Many thanks for any info. K

The EB70 comes with the MC4 to barrel connector. As long as you have MC4 connectors on your panels you should be good to go.

Back