diy solar

diy solar

Newbie here..

Gods NO! That kit is a complete waste of time and money! I've had a couple now and they don't produce in anything less than perfect light, I never saw more than 35w, and fall apart if you look at them sideways! Please, ANYTHING but that!!! I call it the Fisher Price My First Solar for a reason.

The cheapie kit that you already bought will outperform that system hands down, it's THAT bad.

Avoid PWM controllers they are a wast of money for what you want to do., stick with MPPT controllers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Avoid PWM controllers that are a wast of money for what you want to do., stick with MPPT controllers.
A PWM controller is OK for say 2 of the 100w panels in parallel. If you need more power or want to start connecting up in series, the MPPT will start benefitting you pretty quickly.

There was a time a couple years ago when a cheap Chinese krap brand MPPT controller couldn't be had for less than $100, but it's a MUCH better world now where you can get a decent EPEver or HQST or something for about $60. Pro Tip: If the controller has USB ports on the front/side, it's NOT actually MPPT, the manufacturer is lying to you, despite what the sticker says.

There is a maximum wattage on controllers that you'll need to plan for, and it's a pretty simple math problem. The battery voltage X charge controller amperage = Max Wattage. For example, a 20a charge controller on a 12v battery can only use 240-ish watts of panel, but a 60a controller on a 48v battery bank can use 2,880 of panel. Give or take overpaneling and real-world conditions.

Last edited:
Ideally, you run loads while sun is shining and battery is full. Battery supplies surge to start a motor, and PV powers it.
YES! Plan things like vacuuming or anything else high-wattage for when you’re making the most power and early in the day. It’s not that hard to rewire your habits
fall apart if you look at them sideways!
My apologies to you. I’ve looked at them sideways in the store a number of times.

YES! Plan things like vacuuming or anything else high-wattage for when you’re making the most power and early in the day. It’s not that hard to rewire your habits

My apologies to you. I’ve looked at them sideways in the store a number of times.
No need to apologies. I asked you told your opinion that all i want and i thank you for that

I have this dream to power my house with solar and wind.. i would like to know where can i get my hands on used things.. batteries mainly, i am a poor man so looking fir a cheap way. I have all the time to do the work.. i have a well i would like to run. Washer. Frig. Mini split heater and air.. all lighting are led saver. I am at the learning point. I bought a 12 volt inverter.. think i need a 48 volt one.. a cheap battery for now.. i am collecting all my numbers on everything in the house. I got a 200 w pannel. A 5500 generator that i wana run with an electric motor.. the generator has a 13 hp gas motor. Will do my best on my progress.. any info where i can get second hand would be great.. happy holidays.....
I called the electric company. My highest useage was 4407 kwh....

I called the electric company. My highest useage was 4407 kwh....
So about 150Kwh a day on average. That'll go into the power audit, and do some serious thought on reducing your loads as that will save money FAST over building a larger system. For a rough comparison, the big 48v /100Ah rack-mount batteries are good for about 5Kwh, and you're looking at draining and having to recharge 30 of those a day!! :eek:

Yes that's worst case scenario, but once you start thinking hard about ways to reduce that load because at $1500 per battery, saving adds up FAST!

You'll be doing the Power Audit a few times, start with the "Absolutely Need This" math, then do a "I really want this" run, then later you can play with the "Infinitely Wealthy Want This" system.

Last edited:
I have this dream to power my house with solar and wind.. i would like to know where can i get my hands on used things.. batteries mainly, i am a poor man so looking fir a cheap way. I have all the time to do the work.. i have a well i would like to run. Washer. Frig. Mini split heater and air.. all lighting are led saver. I am at the learning point. I bought a 12 volt inverter.. think i need a 48 volt one.. a cheap battery for now.. i am collecting all my numbers on everything in the house. I got a 200 w pannel. A 5500 generator that i wana run with an electric motor.. the generator has a 13 hp gas motor. Will do my best on my progress.. any info where i can get second hand would be great.. happy holidays.....
Yes i plan on staying hooked up to the grid. If and when i can go a year without ever useing the grid i will disconnect. I plan on useing solar and a generator and wind when all finished.. i have the generator already. The gas motor is blown so i wana use the generator without the gas motor.. tubin perhaps, an eletric motor to run it. Plus some where along the line a peddle bike to turn the generator as a last resort and for old man exercise. Lol. I also got a propain oven and stove and a furnace as a last resort as propane prices are unstable.. but in a pinch it will be used..

I am sure my water heater, well pump, washer, dishwasher,frig. Stove and oven, waterbed heater, Plus all my grandpa's wireing for testing and his projects back in the day consumes a lot of the electricity. All my lights are led low wattage. Had a mini split heating and air installed not to long ago

gas motor is blown so i wana use the generator without the gas motor.. tubin perhaps, an eletric motor to run it. Plus some where along the line a peddle bike to turn the generator as a last resort and for old man exercise. Lol.
Have you ever been to a Museum of Science like in Boston, or Ben Franklin thing in Philly? Where they have peddle alternators for you to experience the load of a single incandescent 60W bulb?

You will NOT be able to create ANY usable electrical power by pedal. You list a gazillion watts of load. 60W is barely doable with pedals. One horsepower is 768 watts. Your generator was probably 8HP or more.

Have you ever been to a Museum of Science like in Boston, or Ben Franklin thing in Philly? Where they have peddle alternators for you to experience the load of a single incandescent 60W bulb?

You will NOT be able to create ANY usable electrical power by pedal. You list a gazillion watts of load. 60W is barely doable with pedals. One horsepower is 768 watts. Your generator was probably 8HP or more.
Your right. Shot that dream uh. Lol

I am sure my water heater, well pump, washer, dishwasher,frig. Stove and oven, waterbed heater, Plus all my grandpa's wireing for testing and his projects back in the day consumes a lot of the electricity. All my lights are led low wattage. Had a mini split heating and air installed not to long ago
Well unless you have allot of time and money you will need to get rid of some of that stuff.
1. Water heater needs to be a smaller tank that you can cut on and off as needed. If it runs all the time your power will suffer.
2.Washer and Dishwasher need to be unplugged anytime they are not in use.
3.Stove and over need to GO! You will have a hard time powering an electric range. Replace it with am electric cooktop and a large toaster oven, that will use a fraction of the power the rang uses. OR You can replace it with propane if you must have a rang.
4. Waterbed heater is also a wast of power, you will do better to have a normal mattress that you can just throw more blankets on. In the event of a power outage in the winter that water bead will pull heat off your body. A normal mattress will insulate you from the cold and will be better on your back as you get older.
5.Sorry grandpa no more playing with electricity.

That is my recommendation.

Well unless you have allot of time and money you will need to get rid of some of that stuff.
1. Water heater needs to be a smaller tank that you can cut on and off as needed. If it runs all the time your power will suffer.
2.Washer and Dishwasher need to be unplugged anytime they are not in use.
3.Stove and over need to GO! You will have a hard time powering an electric range. Replace it with am electric cooktop and a large toaster oven, that will use a fraction of the power the rang uses. OR You can replace it with propane if you must have a rang.
4. Waterbed heater is also a wast of power, you will do better to have a normal mattress that you can just throw more blankets on. In the event of a power outage in the winter that water bead will pull heat off your body. A normal mattress will insulate you from the cold and will be better on your back as you get older.
5.Sorry grandpa no more playing with electricity.

That is my recommendation.
Thank you for that.. grandpa won't be playing with electricity anymore. He has been gone for a while now. I got the house. I left all his things in place. Ok i will get a mattress ug.. lol. I got a propane stove and oven. Or a fire pit... again thanks for your imput

Looks as if i need to get that motor running for the generator. Could use that for heavy loads... washer,, water heater( altho i could do as i do for the pool, use black garden hose. Strung out on the roof of the house to get hot water.... ye i see i need to rethink some things.. everyday i realize i got a challenge on my hand with this...

I use these light bulbs throughout the house.

Attachments

• 20211214_174240.jpg
    20211214_174240.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211214_174335.jpg
    20211214_174335.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211214_174341.jpg
    20211214_174341.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 7
Back