diy solar

diy solar

Newbie Hobo

hobophil

We're selling everything and hitting the road soon. Bought a truck and checking out our 1st RV. Plan is to use this trainer RV for finding a property out west ( Utah, Colorado, Montana, Idaho, etc). Then maybe upgrade RV to live in while we build an off grid house an environment.

We'll likely start this journey in late Sept / early Oct.

1. I'd like to avoid a generator in favor of a robust LiFePo battery system
2. I'd like to be able xfr the big investments in solar, batteries, etc to another RV later, and then to our new house (probably 1 yr from now)
3. I have no problem buying a system that can be expanded to my future use vs on the road use.

It seems EVERYONE likes Battleborn - OK w me
next should I do a DIY or buy a Titan or other all in one?

Please let me know what info I should be suppling to get good responses

Phil

Hey Phil, welcome to the forums!

Sounds like a pretty good plan and your smart to plan things out ahead of time! Post what you're thinking, show your calculations and someone else in the forum will hopefully give you a reality check or offer alternatives.

The first thing to do is an energy audit of how much power you'll need, that'll let you figure everything else out. @FilterGuy has one you can download at https://diysolarforum.com/resources/system-energy-audit-and-sizing-spread-sheet.12/

From there the Frequently Asked Questions post has a lot of links that will answer the most common questions you'd have (e.g., how much battery do I need, how much solar do I need, how do I arrange my panels in serial/parallel, what gauge wire do I need).

...3. I have no problem buying a system that can be expanded to my future use vs on the road use.

There are two basic systems you'll hear about:
  • Microinverters: Common on homes. These are small devices, usually 1 per panel that go underneath the solar panel and convert solar energy into AC power directly. They're the cat's meow in terms of scalability as to grow you just add one. They're nice as they typically have 25 year warranties, are easy to work with, have no single point of failure (if one dies, the rest still make power), you don't have to worry about designing your strings or a single panel in shade bringing the whole string down. The downside is they won't work without being grid tied or hooked into either an AC Coupled solution or an AC battery designed for them (e.g., Tesla powerwall, Enphase Encharge). It's hard (impossible?) to DIY AC batteries to work with them safely as they use frequency shifting to curtail solar power output. You can typically get per panel diagnostics, so trouble shooting issues is relatively easy.

• String Inverters: More common for RVers. By arranging solar panels in series and parallel you create "strings" at voltage/currents compatible with a solar charge controller (SCC). The SCC keeps the battery charged and the battery feeds an inverter which converts the DC to AC. Typically 5 year warranties and a single point of failure. They're harder to grow over time as once your hit the inverter limit you need to dispose of the old one and get a new bigger one (you can avoid this with planning and using one that has a "parallel" feature). Adding batteries over time has some downfalls AC batteries don't, but is DIYable. Typically you can only get "string" information, so diagnosing problems can be difficult.
You've probably seen the term "All-in-One". These are string inverters combined with a solar charge controller, battery recharger, and inverter all in one device. They're popular for RVs as they generally have a smaller foot-print.

...It seems EVERYONE likes Battleborn - OK w me...next should I do a DIY or buy a Titan or other all in one?
Battleborn's are great products. One of the reasons to go DIY on a solar generator is to take advantage of low-cost LiFePO4 cells to build your own battery. Will has videos on most of the solar generators and their issues, also videos on how to build your own you might enjoy.

Last edited:
1. I'd like to avoid a generator in favor of a robust LiFePo battery system
2. I'd like to be able xfr the big investments in solar, batteries, etc to another RV later, and then to our new house (probably 1 yr from now)
3. I have no problem buying a system that can be expanded to my future use vs on the road use.

It seems EVERYONE likes Battleborn - OK w me
next should I do a DIY or buy a Titan or other all in one?

I don't know a lot about Titan specifically, but in general, I don't think 'solar generators' make the most sense for medium or large RV and especially residential systems. So if the plan is to transition your solar setup in a year or two to your new home, it might make more sense to piece together a system using robust components designed for the purpose. If on the other hand, the solar system+battery would be more of a backup for the new home for power outages etc then a solar generator might make a lot of sense.

As for Battleborn, based on everything i've heard and read they are a good solid product and a good company, but they are definitely $$$$. If you have the disposable income to throw at enough of them to eventually power your home, no reason not to, but you may also want to consider using raw cells and building your own system for much less money.

One final point, usually I would say 12v or 24v makes the most sense for a RV or vehicle based system (and it does). However because you want to transition this to a home system at some point, 48v is worth considering since that is the norm for residential battery storage. 24v might be a sweet spot between the two. It will be easier and cheaper to settle on a voltage upfront and not have to resell and buy components in a year or two when you transition.

On the other hand, the batteries and panels and some other components could be re used, the main thing that would need to be upgraded if you change voltage is the inverter and maybe charge controller.

Back