diy solar

diy solar

Newbie in SF Bay Area looking for help designing upgrade to RV energy system

Brave Dave

I recently bought a 2015 Winnebago Brave 27b. So far I am happy with it. It has a 200w solar system and cheap pwm controller, 2ea. 12v lead acid batteries and no inverter. We do a mixture of off grid and park camper use, and are very part time users. I use a CPAP and would like to power one or more outlets near the bed with 110V when boon docking. I was considering replacing the converter with an inverter/charger and soon realized I would like to upgrade more than that. I would like to move to LFP batteries and get all the chargers and controllers compatible, including the vehicle engine charging system. The RV is not exposed to sun when parked at home so full time solar charging is not an option.

I am hoping to find a person or shop that can help me design this system, and possible help or install as well. I do not want to greatly overkill the project with 1000W of solar, but want good quality components, clean wiring etc.

I live in the SF Bay area, but am willing to travel a bit for knowledge and experience.

Thanks in advance, David

Hey David - Welcome to the forum. I Googled "rv solar dealers in Bay Area ca" for a start. I try to DIY and have had great products and tech support from Inverters R Us in Reno https://invertersrus.com One tip would be to consider residential solar panels that will fit your rig. They are usually a better buy.

Hey David - Welcome to the forum. I Googled "rv solar dealers in Bay Area ca" for a start. I try to DIY and have had great products and tech support from Inverters R Us in Reno https://invertersrus.com One tip would be to consider residential solar panels that will fit your rig. They are usually a better buy.
Thank you for the advice. I checked Yelp and Nextdoor and didn't see much that looked capable. I'll try google.

Appreciate the tip on residential panels!

David
FWIW, I have heard of this company and seen a couple of youtube videos describing the process.
It might be an option for you.
That is pretty interesting. They do not give you a clue as to where they are located which makes it hard to determine if they are practical. Thank you for the lead.

Back