diy solar

diy solar

Newbie: lease vs buy

calman

Hi everyone,
Please help me decide on what to take here. Sunrun offer me these two option for solar panels, lease vs buy. The thing is, leasing option is way to good compare to buy, or is it?

Package: 6kW or 10,000kWh, 18 inverters.
Buy: $29,000, tax incentive currently at 26% or $7,540. Thus out of pocket would be $21,460 at the end. 25 years warrantee.
Lease: $18,000, pay as a lump sum. 25 years maintenance included. At the end of 25 years, they'll take it away or I pay couple hundreds and keep the system. If sell my house during the lease term and new owner agree, then nothing change, the system stays with the house and new owner inherits it. I think for any other reasons I want the system uninstalled, then they would take it and refund a prorated whatever left.

As you can see, $3000 saved and 25 years of maintenance included if I go with lease option. What would be a catch here?

Thank you for any inputs.

Last edited:
Here are some a good article on the disadvantages of leasing:

).

Buy. Leasing is a bad move. And if you shop around, telling them it is a cash purchase, you will get pricing much better than if you are asking for both prices.

Lease, no flippin way. The moment they get that stuff on your property then they get to dictate to you what you can and cannot do with your roof if it's rooftop installation. No thanks.

Back