diy solar

diy solar

RESOLVED - Newbie needs a charger controller for 14x21700 24V ( Max 29.x ) 7S2P LiB packs via 1 x Panel

jg.sa

JG in South Oz
G'Day

I'm a newbie here so I searched, but cant find any setup that is for just 1 panel.

I want to install a solar panel, largest I can get on 4x4 tub, I bought a 350W which came with a free charge controller, but it doesn't charge my LiB packs.

I have tried to get help from fleabay merchant and now they do not reply to my questions :(

I'm not certain if I should use a MPPT or PWM, I have watched a few YTs like -> SOLAR REGULATORS EXPLAINED! PWM versus MPPT

In the end I'm hoping to have a 10 x panels for my house, but I want to DIY not pay Elon

TIA

JG

B U M P ! ! ! !

Really would like to be able to go away on a trip and not spend weeks charging my batteries via mains before I can go :(

You need to give a lot more information. From the title of your post it sounds like you are using a 168 volt battery bank. Please describe in detail what you have.

Yep, agree. More info is needed. What are the pane specs, what is the exact controller?

The battery seems to be 3.7V cells x 7S. These are ~5Ah each, so the 7S2P pack is like 24V/10Ah. But that's all I can guess from the provided information.

In the end I'm hoping to have a 10 x panels for my house
That's not the right approach. Estimate your consumption, define your goal and budget, and start from there.

The battery seems to be 3.7V cells x 7S. These are ~5Ah each, so the 7S2P pack is like 24V/10Ah. But that's all I can guess from the provided information.
Yes that makes allot more sense.

G'Day Guys

More info is needed. What are the pane specs, what is the exact controller?

Did you read the 1st 5 words in title -> Newbie needs a charger controller - So I need to buy a CC that works with my powerwall :)

You are talking about output, I have been using these powerwalls populated with 14xTesla 21700 Lithium Ion BATs for 5+ years to power fridges, compressors, LEDs, etc. no problemo, not looking to change !!!

I have been charging them via chargers plugged into 240V mains, which is slow when you are talking about 150 cells and normally charge 4 x cells at a a time.

I want to charge via 1 ( one ) solar panel on the roof of my 4x4, I have tried 5 x charge controllers all I confirmed with supplier before I paid will charge 21700, but none have worked, apparently it is my fault because I confused them with 21700, they assumed I meant 18650, which didn't work as well I have 50+ of them as well for testing.

So not interested in out, I'm talking charging

Did you read the 1st 5 words in title -> Newbie needs a charger controller - So I need to buy a CC that works with my powerwall :)

Yep, I read that. It's not going to work for a newbie that doesn't want to invest some effort.

It is not going to work if your panel voltage is too low. Your max battery voltage is 29 volts and your pannel must be producing a few volts above that. So start with the specs of the panel. And share the exact model of the charge controller you've got. You might be able to use what you have by just changing the settings.

I did some search on the forum and your controller is likely IPANDA MPPT ES2460. If so what are the settings you've configured for the battery?

Last edited:
G'Day Brum
I have been working on this for 5 years, so not really a newbie. But, working part time.
I have tried 3 x panels, all different Ws but always with 24V. The setting of the panel is not the issue :)
The SCC I have bought all had a setting for 'Lithium-Ion', I got them to confirm this before I purchased,
but Supplier / Manufacture then always says "Oh No - Tesla 21700, they are not really LIBs" or something similar !!!
I have not bought 10+ SCC because Supp/Manu. could not tell me how to set output to LIBs ( No. 5 setting or something like that )
So I'm a newbie because I'm getting conned by experts, who I'm guessing are ESL.
Then they say we can solve you need lifepo4 or X or Y BATs which we can sell you 'cheap'.
The last supplier I emailed after 'No Go' said I should not be using MPPT controller :(

G'Day Brum and Bobert
Have I given you enough information ?
TIA

Nope. I don't see panel specs (open voltage, maximum power point voltage). Nor I see the charging controller model and settings (at least the charge voltage, but all settings would allow us to provide proper configuration for your setup).

G'Day Brum

You have not read anything I have typed into the above posts.

I have 40 years exp. building electro. mech. system hardware and software for .gov.au and .gov.nz, I studied 2 years Elec. Eng. and then changed to soft. at University, so the word newbie is newbie with Solar Panels that can charge 21700 bats packs.

Nope. I don't see panel specs (open voltage, maximum power point voltage).

Irrelevant - power points , stop with output stuff :)

Nor I see the charging controller model and settings (at least the charge voltage, but all settings would allow us to provide proper configuration for your setup).

Again, Irrelevant - output stuff :)

That is just Bxll Shxt you have 46 messages, you are more a newbie than me.

I need someone who has real experience with solar panel charge controllers, a guru who knows a solar charge controller that can charge 21700 batteries, they have a setup option like I have said above ?

So you have no idea, isn't that true and do not want to admit you are an 'Expert' - A drip under pressure

I'm not an expert. This is something I can proudly admit :) .

Your setup is so simple, that even a newbie can make it work. And what I'm asking you are the very basic questions that will help us solve your issue.

If your controller is the IPANDA ES2460 then go and set the S05 (charge volt) to 29V. And if your panel is capable of producing >33V at maximum power point your batteries will be charging just fine.

Back