diy solar

diy solar

Newbie question - join solar cables...

radiomean

Hi, I've been tweaking my solar PV and battery system over the past year (Growatt SPH 5000 and GBLI 6531 battery).
I've now got two 3 kW/60 Ah Chinese batteries and planned to connect the wires using 100Amp Henley blocks, but was annoyed to find the Growatt cables were too big to fit!

What's the recommended way to join them - crimp lugs and a bus bar in a plastic enclosure? It's just three wires for each polarity - one from the inverter, one to the Growatt battery and one wire to the Chinese batteries... I'm in the UK and a bus bar I think suitable is -

Thanks for advice?

Hi, I've been tweaking my solar PV and battery system over the past year (Growatt SPH 5000 and GBLI 6531 battery).
I've now got two 3 kW/60 Ah Chinese batteries and planned to connect the wires using 100Amp Henley blocks, but was annoyed to find the Growatt cables were too big to fit!

What's the recommended way to join them - crimp lugs and a bus bar in a plastic enclosure? It's just three wires for each polarity - one from the inverter, one to the Growatt battery and one wire to the Chinese batteries... I'm in the UK and a bus bar I think suitable is -

Thanks for advice?
That would work.

I think OP is in the UK

That would work
I've had a further thought to save money. As I only need to join two sets of three cables, can't I just put crimp lugs on the end and put a bolt through all three of them (keeping the three positive and three negative ones well separated, maybe in different small enclosures)

Cheers!

PS those blocks you link look cool but yes, I'm in the UK...

Thanks for advice?
Always anticipate growth… this is what I got for 4 batt wires in ( and one out) .. it was a 5 post… great piece of equipment… a marinco produc…..

Attachments

• IMG_0479.png
    IMG_0479.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
I've had a further thought to save money. As I only need to join two sets of three cables, can't I just put crimp lugs on the end and put a bolt through all three of them (keeping the three positive and three negative ones well separated, maybe in different small enclosures)

Cheers!

PS those blocks you link look cool but yes, I'm in the UK...
Yes you can do that.
And it wasn't my link.

Thanks... that is somewhat equivalent to simply bolting three crimps together?
Cheers!

Without needing a crimp tool and die.
I had to use a wrench or pliers to restrain it while torquing. Wire just bends.
Like other stranded connectors, I also want to rotate joint vs. wire back and forth to ensure it settles completely. (unlike proper crimp which does a thorough job.)

Sharp corners that can poke through, so wrap thoroughly.
The places I've used it were either just next to the lug of a breaker (so it can't move far), or on ground and neutral (zero volts) inside a conduit body. I would be more paranoid if it carried voltage and was floating around.

Bolts and crimps sounds like it would work too.

I tried split rubber hose as rugged insulation in a temporary test setup, before I discovered it wasn't really an insulator. Depends on the hose, of course. In my case it was a couple wires 300V apart and I was puzzled by the smoke. I switched to blocks with set-screw terminals.

Always anticipate growth… this is what I got for 4 batt wires in ( and one out) .. it was a 5 post… great piece of equipment… a marinco produc…..
Thanks to everyone but I think I'll go with the crimp and bolt solution. Now I have plenty of suggestions I have also found this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402335891938

and I know what to look for in the future!

Final comment, I hope - I've also found a fused disconnector to fit between batteries and the invertor (the shoddy installers didn't fit one).

They've sent an installation photo that shows two crimp leads connected on the output side so I can connect the invertor to the input and both battery leads at the output! Thanks again...

Back