diy solar

diy solar

Newbie setup for backup power for freezer

Update for anyone trying this (I have seen a few threads). I obtained 6 185w panels and am running them in series (2s4p) with one of the parallel strings being 4 of the 100w panels in series, which is very close to what the 2 185w panels produce, within a few volts and within 1 amp. I upgraded the controller to the Epever 6415 so I could top out at 150 volts, as two of the 185w panels have 88v VOC and I wanted some headroom, I could run 3 in series in the summer and keep below my 150v cap, but likely not in the winter. This now feeds two 200ah AGM batteries in series for 25 volts. I purchased a bigger Educoa inverter - 3500w/7000 surge as I was happy with the little borrowed one, but had to return it.
This runs either of the freezers indefinitely, but I have not run both at once yet, waiting for the season to progress a bit as sun hours are low right now. From what I have seen, I have little doubt it will run both, maybe even a third. I have not seen the batteries below 70% SOC yet. I might attempt to upgrade to LFP batteries this year.
The remaining 4 100w panels were connected in parallel and feed an inverter that plugs directly into my "house grid". Last I measured this it was putting 486w into the house grid, so I figure it offsets my use by about 2kw /day. I monitor the utility meter every day, and I may add a few more of these as time goes on.

Happy with the results so far, and many, many thanks to all in this forum that helped me in this.

Back