diy solar

diy solar

Newbie with DC ground

zachreborn

Hello Everyone,

This is my first install. I was hoping I could get some help on why something was wired the way that it was. I bought a new Airstream 27FB just recently and have been installing a Battleborn Batteries GC3 system with all Victron Energy components and Renogy solar panels. While I've been doing so I've had to rewire and untangle a bit of what airstream did with the OEM build. I think that I've managed to untangle it in my head, save for one thing which I don't understand.

I've attached the wiring diagrams as well as some photos to help show how it was previously set up. The question I have, why was the negative post of the OEM batteries connected to the grounding bus bar? In the diagrams you'll find that their is the negative side of the breaker box/12v DC fuse panel also tied to the ground bus bar.

2022-07-16 11.21.32.jpeg2022-07-16 11.07.23.jpeg

So on the ground bus bar you have connections to/from:
  • Ground frame connection (bare copper)
  • Negative battery post
  • Negative to 12v fuse panel/distribution
2022-07-16 11.21.17.jpeg
I don't understand why that would be connected in that manner. I had expected that the negative from the 12v DC fuse panel would run back to the negative on the battery.

In my new build I have the whole Lynx bus bars kit (Power In, Shunt, and Distributor) and a Multiplus 3k. I ran a 4/0 ground from the Multiplus case ground to the frame. Now I'm questioning whether I should run a negative from the Lynx Distributor to that same ground bus bar OR if because I have my Multiplus grounded that would account for it OR if I should run the ground from my Lynx Distributor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is the ac portion of your system also grounded to the frame from the original bus bar

Great question, the AC is grounded to the frame via the AC busbar within the breaker box. Tracing it out, the AC ground connects at another frame bolt.

Back