diy solar

diy solar

Newly bought home has wiring and subpanels but no solar panels - need help adding panels and micro inverter

peacefulpond

Hello,

I recently purchased a home which previously had solar on it but they were not included in the sale and were taken out. But the previous owner left behind the wiring and panels which include manual shutoff, combination box, rapid shutoff and net metering. My current electricity bill is showing net meter reading( showing 0 for customer generated power).

I am pretty new to this area and have been doing some research. From what I understood my house previously had enphase microinverters feeding into the combination box. What I was wondering is if I bought some solar panels and microinverters and mount them on the roof and connect to existing wiring, will I be good to go. Do I need to get inspection/ permits again to turn on the system? I added some photos to show I am talking about.

20220808_083256.jpg
20220808_150806.jpg20220808_150324.jpg20220808_150636.jpg

Is there any racking left on the roof and any Enphase stuff left behind ?
You do have some of the basics in the pictures but I suspect you will need to pull a permit again.
Some of that wiring looks rough...someone was stripping crazy lol

The box with the 125 amp main breaker (right of the AC disconnect) has 3 x double 20amp breakers that are ready to go and hook up 3 strings of micro inverters.
Did they actually pull out the wires to the roof?! including the solid ground wire ?
wow...

The breaker on the left bottom can not be used for solar since it is 2x20 single instead of 1 x 20 amp double.
But could easily be replaced with the right one for 4 strings to the roof

Thanks for that info.

Yes they did pull out the wires to the roof including grounding wire. I will have to do the entire roof portion: wiring, installation and pull those wires to combination panel.

So, my purchase list should include solar panels, micro inverters, mounting hardware, AC cables to combination box and ground wire? I am not a pro but consider myself handy. Is this something I can do myself or should I get an electrician to do it for me? Also, do I need to get the inspector and re-pass the system before turning on?

@Quattrohead No, they didn't leave the racking/micro inverters on the roof. They removed everything, patched the holes and gave me a roofing certificate. They did leave 5-6 metal bars and holding brackets behind. I could probably reuse those.

You are back to square 1 and will need permits as will be under current rules, not what was done by the previous homeowner years ago.

The only positive is the AC breaker panel, but it all will be like solar was never there unfortunately.

Back