diy solar

diy solar

newpowa 360w panels- Amazon

kpreuss77

looking at the Newpowa 360w 9BB solar panels. I have decided to change from a 24v system to a 48v system as well.

Amazon

Could I pair these with the EG4 6500x 48v AIO inverter?

I just cant seem to pull the trigger on a solar system because of the cost but with these from Amazon, I can buy 4 or 8 and it is costing me thousands upon thousands of dollars. I do not want to be cheap. the Wife gave me the go ahead to get a whole house system at $30k.

But Im the one who pays for for it. I know the prices have come down too for solar in general.

$1399. for (4) 360w panels = 1440w array in theory. probably 80% efficient
*$2000.* for (8) 360w panels = 2880w array in theory. probably 80% efficient

* 8 panel kit has 30% off coupon tonight, maybe tomorrow.

just asking for thoughts on the panels because this is a good deal with $99shipping. Michigan install so snow, wind, and hail too. no excessive heat

Kevin

I guess Im looking for

Last edited:
The panels say they are 24v vs 48v. Can I just run them in series for the EG4 6500X?

If you have $30K, don't buy from Amazon. I recommend doing some research, get educated and determine your needs before buying anything. Alt-E is a good company to buy from. There are many other good ones.

$30k was a Govt loan.

I believe in cash. I spent the last 20 years getting out of debt, not going back. Mortgage only and cash purchases. Wife hase a different philosophy including pay later, loans, and CC.

So I can purchase 2k,3k,or4k no problem right now.

I have the batterries and misc wiring, now I need panels and and inverter. I keep going back and forth with no action on a decision.

I would like 8+kWh per day. Need 5.3kWh daily.

House in January used about 12kWh daily and is currently using 35kWh without AC but still using the whole house blower.

I am not trying to power my house, btw. Just my fridge and freezers and a few other small appliances as well as my garage.

I saw those panels as an opportunity to get started (2880w array) at a good price with free shipping and 30 day return policy. ?

Could I pair these with the EG4 6500x 48v AIO inverter?
I would like 8+kWh per day. Need 5.3kWh daily.

How much real estate do you have for the panels? For $2k you can get 20+ used panels (250-255w) from Santan Solar. That would give you 5kw of solar (even at 80% it would be 4kw) which would be a much better fit for the inverter you are looking at.

I don't mean this to sound smart. See can you drop your usage amd you might not even need it. So start with the power audit you can find on this forum. And then start to turn stuff off and see your power usage drop. So you'll save money without the solar install cost.

And do you need multiple of each appliance? More than 1 freezer and so on? Makes sense to use them if you load them up and don't waste food. But if you could turn them off and just use the most efficient one until you turn on the next one...

Energy prices are only going up I expect. So reducing power is they best way to start in my mind. Hope that helps and don't mean it to sound preachy. I'm like you and don't like to be in debt unless there is a gain. We do have solar but we also spent a lot of time getting our power usage as low as possible first.

Enjoy the learning experience.

The panels say they are 24v vs 48v. Can I just run them in series for the EG4 6500X?

Yes you can.

As others are saying $1 per watt is expensive for panels. I’ve gotten good used ones from SanTanSolar.com for as low as 14 cents per watt.

Slow down, read a LOT on the forum, and have a complete plan BEFORE you buy anything. You will save a ton of money in the long run.

I think a 48v system is a good choice. Also, putting panels in series to have a high voltage feed to your MPPT is another good choice IMHO.

If I remember correctly that unit can take up to 500V PV input which is fantastic.

Just be sure you’re happy with 120V only AC output or are willing to buy a second one to make US 240V split phase.

This should be a working link to the panels you asked about :

I used a Kill-a-watt to measure my 2 freezers and fridge a couple weeks back when we hit 90degree weather. I also added the overhead needed for a Growatt AIO. Calculated over 1 week.

Come to find out my coffee maker was plugged into the same cord as the fridge. but that only uses .15kWh per pot. 1 pot pot per day. minimal.

My freezers are in the garage and they do seem to consume about 50% more energy during summer time. Do not know if that is normal for garage freezers.

Step 1 do something.
Step 2 build boxes for my 14khw batteries
Step 3 decide on panels and inverter
Step 4 get EG4 6500 AIO (preorder only)
Step 5 get panels

Need 4 and 5

Both Panels and Inverter are certified too meaning I can attach to the house in the future and pass inspection.

I am limited on space as I can put atop my Gazebo and above my gardens (free standing-unattached)on the south side of the house.

the attached picture is at 1030am. The gazebo will only see 3.5 hrs of full sunlight.

Kevin

Attachments

• 20220714_105335_1.jpg
    20220714_105335_1.jpg
    637.4 KB · Views: 7
Seems expensive, maybe i dont understand the market in the US. I just bought 10x 400w trina vertex s for 1750. (Europe)

I did get the panels. It was $1880 shipped for 2880w. not $1 per watt, $.65 per watt which includes the shipping and handling.

Specs for 360w Newpowa panel

30 day free return policy. So I will have about 20 days to test.

I am now thinking of pairing it with a different AIO. MPP LVX6548 (in stock at Watts247.com)

PV input. 250v / 4000w

Here is the question, do I series 6 panels together? The panels have an VoC of 40.79. totalling 246v

6s1p= 246v 2160w

or do I look at the Vmp of 33.7v and series connect 7 panels for a total of 235v.

7s1p= 235v 2520w

I guess I could also 4s2p the panels.
163v 2880w

Kevin

Last edited:
You use Voc.

What is the max voltage of the SCC (Solar charge controller)or AIO(All-in-One)?

Also, what is the coldest it gets in your location.

As solar panels get colder they produce more voltage. The Voc is taken at standard temp. So when it’s cold your panels voltage will be even higher. The temperature coefficient in the specs gives the formula to figure it out.

The biggest problem is for most SCC or AIO’s if the voltage goes higher than it can handle - they immediately die. So one cold clear morning in the winter you wake up and your SCC is dead. To prevent that just make sure the math says you are ok.

Good Luck

The coldest I have seen or heard of is -15f or -26c.. The internet says near Flint Michigan, coldest record -21f.

The panels arrive today around 5pm, that was quick. I need to lay them out and start testing the voltage from them. Verify their output.

I can do this by simply laying them down(on angle maybe) and when the sun is directly overhead, use a multimeter to test voltage output? I should watch a video on this.

I did get the panels. It was $1880 shipped for 2880w. not $1 per watt, $.65 per watt which includes the shipping and handling.

I am now thinking of pairing it with a different AIO. MPP LVX6548 (in stock at Watts247.com)

PV input. 250v / 4000w

Here is the question, do I series 6 panels together? The panels have an VoC of 40.79. totalling 246v

6s1p= 246v 2160w

or do I look at the Vmp of 33.7v and series connect 7 panels for a total of 235v.

7s1p= 235v 2520w

163v 2880w

Kevin
That's a great deal. I bought 2 100W Newpowa panels a few months ago, and they are fine.

That is a pretty good price. I just purchased 10 REC 365w from CED Greentech for .74 a watt and thought I got a good deal. I also had to drive 270 miles to get them.

Last edited:

PV input. 250v / 4000w

6s1p= 246v 2160w

7s1p= 235v 2520w

163v 2880w

Kevin
4s2p would be the way I would wire them. I currently have my REC365w 5s2P run to a Victron 250/70. They have almost the same VOC spec as yours. Right now they are putting out 145v @20 amps. 2950w.
40.7x4=162.8x1.20=195.36.

Im unwrapping them this weekend. getting them off of the pallet. inspecting them each for damage. testing them each.

i was thinking, 6s1p or 7s1p. Bad idea?

use the leftover 1 or 2 panels on my 4x8 trailer I'm building.

i possibly could run 4s2p but the voltage might be too low to kick on th LVX6548-right? I have to get over 90v before it starts charging the batterries?

Strategizing on panels and inverters and wire size and DIY vs Commercial install. It is easy but it isnt.

And I want to say thank you! to all of you who have helped.

Ill let you know how the panels turn out after testing. only fair.

Kevin

Not sure about the lvx but my Victron was making power by 7am this morning. Not to mention my panels are laying face up in my back yard. I’ll have to check and see what voltage turns on my Victron now. Never payed much attention.

I was up at 6:54 this morning. The sun was just clearing the mountains and hitting the panels. They were already making 155v and 350w.

Back