diy solar

diy solar

Newpowa for power outage?

ChrisPuth

I'm in FL. I'm not keen on storing gasoline for a generator and the noise associated with a gas powered generator. I'd like something small and quiet, even if it's more expensive. I'm hoping during an outage (e.g., due to a hurricane) to be able to charge cell phones, batteries for fans, and - the big one - my chest freezer frequently enough to keep the contents frozen and open it once per day to move food and ice to a cooler to thaw. My research suggests that a Newpowa 500w portable solar generator should serve this end. We get a lot of sun in FL so my hope is that I can charge using solar panels when needed during the day and keep my phones and fans charged and chest freezer periodically running in perpetuity. Any thoughts or insight?

Need to do an energy audit of those items in kwh.

In general, battery packs are heavy. I have a 1.2 kwh solar generator I made, and it’s about as heavy as I’d like to carry by myself.

Cell phones use next to no power, but the other items you mention vary widely.

So we don’t know much about your specific freezer but 500 watts won’t start most compressor driven appliances. If I am reading the specs right it is 50 Ah at 10.8 volts. That is 540 watt hours at the battery. After inverter losses it would be less than that. So you might be able to run something that draws 250 watts for most of 2 hours. This would probably be great to charge phone but not a freezer.

Back