diy solar

diy solar

NEWS: Florida legislature considers ending solar net metering (Nov.23.2021)

I haven't read through the entire thread, but doesn't California have some law that requires all new homes to have solar?

So now, they pass a law requiring you to invest in solar, then pass another law requiring you to pay a penalty for having it? Am I missing something?

"California. The climate is right. For business."
(and now, for consumers too!)

You got it.
I'm no legal scholar, but doesn't that fall under some kind of indentured servitude clause in the constitution?

I get the whole solar requirement for new homes, but since they've done that, the $8/kw fee being imposed amounts to a tax in favor of a corporation.

A couple of thoughts on this:
1) It might not really be indentured servitude unless California requires homeowners to have grid power, and if they don't then,
2) You are free to disconnect from the grid.

I've been trying to contact Amber Kinetics for over 2 months and get no responses from them of any type. I would think that this would be a huge benefit to their company as the flywheel storage system is far superior to any battery..

For the $9,000 they want for their M32 (32 kWh of storage), I'm drooling over it.. If they picked up their phone or answered emails, I'd have already cut them a check and have a hole dug...

Twice the storage of my $5000 AGM for just under twice the price, unlimited cycle life and 3x the design life.
But not yet proven.

What is the charge and discharge rate?
I assume a small lead-acid pack for surge would still be good.
I've imagined something like Sunny Boy Storage (AC coupled 6kW inverter for lithium battery) as larger capacity storage while my AGM is kept floating, but a flywheel that doesn't wear out would be even better.

I'm no legal scholar, but doesn't that fall under some kind of indentured servitude clause in the constitution?

I get the whole solar requirement for new homes, but since they've done that, the $8/kw fee being imposed amounts to a tax in favor of a corporation.

A couple of thoughts on this:
1) It might not really be indentured servitude unless California requires homeowners to have grid power, and if they don't then,
2) You are free to disconnect from the grid.

I've been trying to contact Amber Kinetics for over 2 months and get no responses from them of any type. I would think that this would be a huge benefit to their company as the flywheel storage system is far superior to any battery..

For the $9,000 they want for their M32 (32 kWh of storage), I'm drooling over it.. If they picked up their phone or answered emails, I'd have already cut them a check and have a hole dug...
No, you are not free to disconnect from the grid, unless you mean not having a grid tied system?

California will force you too keep your meter or threaten to declare your home uninhabitable. Florida is the same way

Why not end all forms of taxation while your at it? It's not like we would be the only country that has no Taxes, there are lots of others. I am joking but in reality if you eliminate all social programs that would impact so many kids and throw them into homelessness, which will most likely lead them into crime. When you calculate out what it cost to help a kid to make it through until he is an adult and be productive versus what it costs to keep him in prison for 25 years if he becomes a criminal, it's a lot cheaper and certainly more humane to help people.
BTW the average costs for housing a prisoner for one year is about $30K.
Yes let's end taxes too, since they were supposed to be temporary in the first place. If you want to "help" people go ahead your free to do as you wish.

The U.S. was a great country before it implemented a federal income tax.

No need to pay to keep someone in prison 25 years. We could just put them on a boat to an island in the Southern hemisphere ... Australia?

Government spending is the problem, not the solution.

The U.S. was a great country before it implemented a federal income tax.

No need to pay to keep someone in prison 25 years. We could just put them on a boat to an island in the Southern hemisphere ... Australia?

Government spending is the problem, not the solution.
So I guess your all in for dismantling the US military?
And why do you think Australia or any other country would let us ship our prisoners to them? Your proposal is basically let’s just kill em all.

1) The U.S. defeated the greatest military in the world before it had a federal income tax.
More recently, a couple rag-tag armies with ancient rifles and IEDs kept the greatest military in the world cowering inside armored shells.

2) You miss my point - do you understand how the population of Australia came to be?

According to our Constitution, any powers not explicitly granted to Congress are reserved for the states, or the people.
It is only those federal laws which are pursuant to the Constitution that are superior over all other laws.
But unfortunately, Congress now gets to seize as much money as it wants from the citizens and companies, then dangles that money in front of the states, offering it if they do the Federal government's bidding.
I would propose to replace federal income tax with state legislatures agreeing to send funding to the federal government (if they choose to do so.)

So I guess your all in for dismantling the US military?
And why do you think Australia or any other country would let us ship our prisoners to them? Your proposal is basically let’s just kill em all.
That is what the British did with there prisoners, Australia was a prison colony. He was being Sarcastic

Last edited:
Not entirely sarcastic, rather pointing out it is a good idea.
There are people who should not be allowed in our society. And society should not have to pay to support them.
For those whos crimes are not so serious that we would hang them, I think placing them somewhere outside society to fend for themselves tilling the soil could be appropriate.

1) The U.S. defeated the greatest military in the world before it had a federal income tax.
More recently, a couple rag-tag armies with ancient rifles and IEDs kept the greatest military in the world cowering inside armored shells.
What are you talking about, England and the war for independence? Federal Taxes have been in Place since the Civil war. Federal Taxes are what funded most of the the Military in WWII and it's what completely funds them today.

2) You miss my point - do you understand how the population of Australia came to be?
Yes who doesn't? That stopped about 160 Years ago around the same time we stopped using Black Slaves. Since then Australia has become a first world country through their own hard work. We are actually the world leader at incarcerating people by using the Private sector. Since we have made it a business we might want to expand and take in prisoners from other countries. I am pretty sure the Australians see us as the experts and not vice versa.

According to our Constitution, any powers not explicitly granted to Congress are reserved for the states, or the people.
It is only those federal laws which are pursuant to the Constitution that are superior over all other laws.
But unfortunately, Congress now gets to seize as much money as it wants from the citizens and companies, then dangles that money in front of the states, offering it if they do the Federal government's bidding.
Ahh so you believe the Federal government is continually black mailing the states to do their bidding.
It does not seem to be working well as the states seem to be doing whatever their elected officials feel like doing. It did not work under Trump and it's not working under Biden.

I would propose to replace federal income tax with state legislatures agreeing to send funding to the federal government (if they choose to do so.)
Are you having a personal romance with the idea of a second Civil war? Why would one state pay when another is not? Who does the Military serve under this new system of yours? The State that pays out the most amount of money? Texas, California or NY?
Since California pays almost twice as much as any other state I assume you would prefer that they control most of the military.

Yes let's end taxes too, since they were supposed to be temporary in the first place. If you want to "help" people go ahead your free to do as you wish.

What are you talking about, England and the war for independence? Federal Taxes have been in Place since the Civil war. Federal Taxes are what funded most of the the Military in WWII and it's what completely funds them today.

Yes who doesn't? That stopped about 160 Years ago around the same time we stopped using Black Slaves. Since then Australia has become a first world country through their own hard work. We are actually the world leader at incarcerating people by using the Private sector. Since we have made it a business we might want to expand and take in prisoners from other countries. I am pretty sure the Australians see us as the experts and not vice versa.

Ahh so you believe the Federal government is continually black mailing the states to do their bidding.
It does not seem to be working well as the states seem to be doing whatever their elected officials feel like doing. It did not work under Trump and it's not working under Biden.

Are you having a personal romance with the idea of a second Civil war? Why would one state pay when another is not? Who does the Military serve under this new system of yours? The State that pays out the most amount of money? Texas, California or NY?
Since California pays almost twice as much as any other state I assume you would prefer that they control most of the military.
Lets all get back on topic and war Bonds is how the U.S funded the war.

Not entirely sarcastic, rather pointing out it is a good idea.
There are people who should not be allowed in our society. And society should not have to pay to support them.
For those whos crimes are not so serious that we would hang them, I think placing them somewhere outside society to fend for themselves tilling the soil could be appropriate.
Society creates problems and then refuses to address the issue, that is the real crime

"During the War, Americans purchased approximately $186 billion worth of war bonds, accounting for nearly three quarters of total federal spending from 1941-1945".

It took 2 seconds for the truth.
"Purchased" or got forced to cut checks or go to jail? Most don't know how it worked. I'd love to go back to feds funded by only tariffs

Last edited:
Back