diy solar

diy solar

NEWS: Florida legislature considers ending solar net metering (Nov.23.2021)

Interesting..!! I am in the process of designing a system for my house and office in Florida. I wanted to grid tie and sell back until I found these posts. It sounds like my 1st though of going off grid all together with battery and natural/propane backup might be a good idea. Is net metering really worth it?

Dump FPL altogether?
I'm in Tampa area and have Duke. My bill is $35/month average just to be connected and use the grid for storage.
When I researched, it was supposed to $15/month which is annoying but $35/month for net metering is still cheaper than batteries.
I plan to go off grid but I don't think it will save me money.

Why 15? Because you are net metering they charge you $30/mo. Just a grid tie for backup $15/mo?

The Co-op in the mid panhandle gets $30 per month just to connect and use nothing. I didn't ask about selling back.

Where did the $15 figure come from?

I am having serious doubts on connecting to the grid for selling back. I will most likely install with an off grid to start; improve the system with natural gas backup and then disconnect from them completely

There was a connection fee of about $15 on my bill before I got solar. Multiple solar installers told me that I would just have to pay that connection fee. After we got solar, we were told there is a $30 minimum per month to be connected to the grid.

Could you form a cooperative with a few of your closest neighbors, and throw a wire over the fence? Only one keeps the utility connection.

That would also help where export is no longer 100% credit, leveling out consumption of appliances which cycle on and off.
We can aggregate adjacent property meters if in the same name. "Main Street Electrical Co-op"? Wouldn't share a single connect fee, however.

I was thinking the same but on a smaller layout. Throw a line over the fence and charge your neighbor the connect fee then it would be $0.0

Back