diy solar

diy solar

NEWS: Ford F-150 Lightning Electric, 230 Miles Range, <$40,000 USD

Steve_S

Offgrid Cabineer, N.E. Ontario, Canada
Well as we have all heard, Ford & GM have entered the EV Race and are finally coming out with real EV's.
Ford threw down the Gauntlet on Pickup Truck Battle now with the new Lightning F-150 which has Vehicle to Grid & Vehicle to Home so it can run tools & equipment and even your house if need be. Now the Pickup Game is afoot can/will the Competitors Step Up GM ? Fiat-Chrysler RAM (that's a joke right) ?
I'd wager that Mary Barra @ GM is quaking in her Hipster Leathers.

This is the BASE MODEL with 230 Miles Range for less than 40K USD, higher models with greater range and more "extras / Bling" of course be available as well.

The price is pretty darn competitive!

My next question is how fast can they make them? At that price they will sell each and every one they can make.

The price is pretty darn competitive!

My next question is how fast can they make them? At that price they will sell each and every one they can make.

That depends on whether they are limited by Lithium or Silicon :ROFLMAO:

Even $52k is still pretty much on par with most ICE with comparable options.

Glad I bought my K2500 for $3800. (about the sales tax on a new truck)
As a diesel with about 112k miles on it, remaining life should be more than a new gas powered one. More or less than batteries for the electric? TBD.

But sure sounds nice to have almost 10kW generator integrated, and V2H/H2V feature.
Like the "frunk" too.
One thing I'd add - a generator, make it a hybrid. Just load it in the bed for longer trips, remove for around town.

I was really hoping they would come up with something smaller. Not a fan at all of what trucks have become. What I would really like is a 2 door electric vehicle closer in size to the original 1960s Bronco.

Also do not forget, the prices listed are MSRP List Price !
Once you can apply any Fed, State rebates or incentives (which Ford has room for) that can drop the price tag quite a bit. I think (not sure) US Fed is $7500 if not more.

A Gotcha lurking in the specs, with the "extra cab" the box shrinks to 5'5". If that is actually the case, they should have made these into the new Generation Ranger and not bother calling it an F-Series anything.

Odd how they are bringing back the Bronco but not an E-Version, hafta wonder when that will get announced. Sure would be a marketable product.

Even with Fords "Just Announced" 60GW Factory Partnership with SK, that is still unlikely to be able to fill their needs, even with the other contracts & arrangements.

Glad I bought my K2500 for $3800. (about the sales tax on a new truck)
As a diesel with about 112k miles on it, remaining life should be more than a new gas powered one. More or less than batteries for the electric? TBD.

I'm in the exact same boat, im driving a 96' F350 Diesel around everyday because its way cheaper than buying anything like this. I have 396k miles on it and it shows no signs of giving up lol. I do dream of a new truck though... maybe someday

I have one reserved. And a EV hummer. I hope they are fun. The ford looks great!

If I do not like them, I will flip them for more. Or make a quick review video for each one.

I cancelled my Rivian order because the charging network they plan to implement seems like a joke. But I did sit in one at CES and the interior is fantastic. Fit and finish is wayyy better than my teslas.

And I am not a big fan of the cybertruck. I bet the insurance will be insane considering the stainless steel body.

I don't think towing with any electric truck will be any fun. Range is always less than 50%. 25% if it is cold outside. not fun...

I will still have a gas vehicle for towing.

What is gas mileage of equivalent ICE pickup these days?
If a generous 25 mpg, $3.50/gallon (California), 24,000 miles/year, that $40,000 - $7500 truck is free after a decade (assuming electricity is free.)
My 6000 pound (unladen weight) diesel gets 16 mpg.

At 12,000 miles/year or gas prices elsewhere, will take longer. Maybe never break even with time-value of money.

So once again, so long as I can keep patching my vehicles so they remain on the road, I'll keep burning fuel.
(unless I get to the state with vehicles that I am with my PV system, appear to have more money than sense.)

And I am not a big fan of the cybertruck. I bet the insurance will be insane considering the stainless steel body.
I am not a big fan either. However I do have a reservation on one. We will see whether Ford, GM or Rivian can deliver a pickup at the same price. My Cybertruck reservations probably means it will be 2023 before I have to decide. Interesting that you would mention charging network. That is the biggest thing going for Tesla. All others have to rely on the same high speed DC charging networks and that would constrain my frequent trips to LA from Northern California. There are so many Superchargers on I5 on that route.
That is s good question about insurance. Maybe that is why Tesla is starting to sell insurance. I do feel safer in my Teslas because of the accident avoidance warnings.

With zero regard for its loss of range in towing, the ability for the charging system to run "backwards" is a big deal in smaller Sierra Nevada towns of CA, where PG&E, California Pacific, Plumas-Sierra, and Redding are conducting frequent blackouts for fire safety reasons. Running an RV air conditioner without an add-on gas generator and running 120/240 VAC tools at work sites without electric service are additional applications.

The feature is attractive and (so far) unique. Competitors will want to add this capability, I think.

I'm curious how it feeds your house with power without feeding the grid on accident? Im assuming you have to install an automatic transfer switch of some sort?

I'm curious how it feeds your house with power without feeding the grid on accident? Im assuming you have to install an automatic transfer switch of some sort?
I agree that the utility must require an automatic transfer switch, as they now do with widely-used propane-powered 'backup generators' in these places. When grid service gets turned back on, the 'Ford Backup' must be disconnected instantly - with no opportunity for the homeowner to slowly wander around, flicking switches by hand and making mistakes.

I'm curious how it feeds your house with power without feeding the grid on accident?
I did not dive deep into the description, but it may be marketing hype about the receptacle in the back. Current F150's have a receptacle that can run some power tools. An extension cord could qualify in some peoples minds as "feeds your house".
;)

I read there will be a high speed charger available that can feed power back to the house during power outages. Might only be available for certain trim levels.

With zero regard for its loss of range in towing, the ability for the charging system to run "backwards" is a big deal in smaller Sierra Nevada towns of CA, where PG&E, California Pacific, Plumas-Sierra, and Redding are conducting frequent blackouts for fire safety reasons. Running an RV air conditioner without an add-on gas generator and running 120/240 VAC tools at work sites without electric service are additional applications.

The feature is attractive and (so far) unique. Competitors will want to add this capability, I think.
This feature is available now on the 2021 F-150 gas and hybrid truck. Generator built-in to the transmission. A couple of different generator options including a 240VAC 30A option.

I did not dive deep into the description, but it may be marketing hype about the receptacle in the back. Current F150's have a receptacle that can run some power tools. An extension cord could qualify in some peoples minds as "feeds your house".
;)

The article said it used the same charging cord bidirectionally.
With the right transfer switch setup, it can do that.
If you have an all electric house, it had better communicate with Nest or other thermostat to turn off the electric furnace.
Ideally it could take a smaller add-on battery and inverter that stays with the house, for minor loads while the breadwinner is out working.

Last edited:
Back