diy solar

diy solar

NEWS: Ford F-150 Lightning Electric, 230 Miles Range, <$40,000 USD

I have one reserved. And a EV hummer. I hope they are fun. The ford looks great!

If I do not like them, I will flip them for more. Or make a quick review video for each one.

I cancelled my Rivian order because the charging network they plan to implement seems like a joke. But I did sit in one at CES and the interior is fantastic. Fit and finish is wayyy better than my teslas.

And I am not a big fan of the cybertruck. I bet the insurance will be insane considering the stainless steel body.
Rivian is here in my hometown, my Son-in-law has a great job with them. I was a bit suspect a couple years ago, but everything I'm seeing them pump into the facilities and what I hear is too notch. Production is ramping up. It sounds like it all is getting very busy there. I hope they all do well

Rivian is here in my hometown, my Son-in-law has a great job with them. I was a bit suspect a couple years ago, but everything I'm seeing them pump into the facilities and what I hear is too notch. Production is ramping up. It sounds like it all is getting very busy there. I hope they all do well
Rivian Specs are quite good and the price point is not bad either. Nicely appointed and equipped I think, I like them but for one thing, Those Manga cartoon EYES Headllights, that is DORKY IMO But that's just my taste I guess...

Totally agree on the lights. That is one of my biggest gripes. He told me your can't imagine the get up a go this has.

Totally agree on the lights. That is one of my biggest gripes. He told me your can't imagine the get up a go this has.
I have had the opportunity to drive RWD, FWD & AWD EV's. All of them took off like Scalded Cats ! And I used to play 1/4 mile games with BB Chevies in excess of 600HP and those were DOGS in comparison...

The AWD Tesla was a totally different experience, not only was the acceleration ludicrous it stuck to the asphalt like it was glued to it, it grabbed & went with just a bare chirp *(and I mean you had to listen for it). The traction is just incredible and hard through twists & turn, like literally being on rails.

Anyone who has a Real EV (Prius do not count, really) can tell you, sure looks like a car works like a normal car but the drive is not like a normal car... The instant response, no "spooling up" the torque converter between auto-trans shifts, the braking (with Regen) and all the subtle little differences we do not notice because we accept it to be what it is... Funny, is that new EV Owners always get that within the first few days & realize the differences (even teh subtle ones) but forget within a few weeks, until they get back into a noisy stinky gasser...

Sadly I do not own an EV nor will I get to have the chance as I won't be around long enough (Terminal Cancer) but if my situation was different then I;d get one... The thing is, a car is of no use to me, I need a 4x4 Truck because of where I live being quite rural & remote and in winter 4x4 is a must.

I hope Ford completely dominates Tesla with this truck. There is a fair amount of interest in the Superduty segment (F-250, F-350 and F-450) for some sort of hybrid. But a full on EV in that segment is unlikely in the next five years. Too much towing and heavy hauling outside of the charging network.

In my 2019 Leaf, if I give it full acceleration while in the non-ECO mode, I have to hold on tight. The torque steer is enough to put the car out of the lane. Stock leaf, no mods, no tweaks. The Tesla AWD will still whoop my Leaf without trying very hard.

To make it do what I would want would raise the price to about 90k. No thanks!
40 mins just to charge to 80% on a fast charger?

This article shows that hauling 10k lbs will cut the range in half. So 115 miles off your lucky. So much for hauling an Airstream like what is pictured in Ads.

Last edited:
I got on a pre order bandwagon today....

I know of no other awd truck body all electric out yet that comes even close... Or even a EV car that is awd that is close in price. From what I understand even the base truck is awd....

This met the minimum requirements I wanted, all electric, awd, truck.

I wonder what battery voltages these newer EVs will be running with. One of my buddies who is supplying detailed wiring diagrams to his mostly distributor /contractor customer base for the permits and installers on all kinds of solar grid tie (or not) with battery systems; ... tells me how some high end systems use near 350vdc high end battery banks, with just slightly higher Solar PV In vdc. ... We talk about how the day will come when EV batteries in about that same vdc range will be able to plug right in to such home or workshop battery systems for extended cloudy days by integrating directly with each other (for maybe for 10x + the Ahs), with the solar / inverter system integrated to charge (or use) both home and EV battery as a set via DC direct; all computerized to function automatically, with ability to disconnect the EV and drive off at any time. ... I will love seeing that day. I also wonder if any DIYers are playing with these ideas with or without those higher voltages. I know some of the big guys are, because I have seen some of those drawings. :+)

Last edited:
some high end systems use near 350vdc high end battery banks, with just slightly higher Solar PV In vdc.
Yes that is the voltage used in the Solaredge Storedge system DC coupled with one version of LG Chem Resu battery. I think they use DC to DC converters to vary the voltage to charge or discharge the batteries.

My guess is that now that NEC 2020 requires UL approved battery storage systems we may see more high voltage DC pack systems. 48 nominal volts my be relegated to DIY systems. It will partly depend on how many local jurisdictions adopt NEC 2020.

I'm curious how it feeds your house with power without feeding the grid on accident? Im assuming you have to install an automatic transfer switch of some sort?

You'd just feed the house the same way as you would with any portable generator.. ether a transfer switch, or a mechanically interlocked breaker..

Pretty simple.

I know of no other awd truck body all electric out yet that comes even close..
As far as I know no one has yet delivered a truck to to public. Rivian has delivered a few of theirs to employees but not yet to the public. Is Ford actually delivering product to customers? The F150 does look good and may have me rethinking my Cybertruck reservation if I could actually buy an F150 at a reasonable price.

The F150 does look good and may have me rethinking my Cybertruck reservation if I could actually buy an F150 at a reasonable price.
At this point the wait, even if they start selling them tomorrow, is years away due to pre orders and the limited amount of units they can produce. Tesla has shown they can build a EV in many ways while Ford is still playing catch up.

You'd just feed the house the same way as you would with any portable generator.. ether a transfer switch, or a mechanically interlocked breaker..

Pretty simple.
If you’ve already got DC-coupled solar with a house battery, it’s even easier (at the cost of some lost efficiency).

From this article: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a35152752/powered-house-ford-f-150-hybrid/

‘But, you ask, why wouldn't you just buy a 7200-watt generator? Because if you're buying an F-150 Hybrid, the 7200-watt Pro Power Onboard is a $750 option. (The 2400 watt output, with two outlets, is standard.)

So without spending another dime, you can run up to 2400 watts of AC battery Chargers from the truck overnight.

At 90% charger efficiency, that means 2160Wh per hour charging a LiFePO4 battery offsetting self-consumption overnight.

Assume piss-poor inverter efficiency of 80% and that translates to an average power of 1.7kW that can be supplied to overnight loads until the sun comes up.

My overnight consumption averages 350W, so the built-in ‘standard’ 2.4kW 120V inverter gives me more than I need to assure my house is powered without grid energy from sunset to sunrise.

Peak daily output reaches 3kW so I just need to make sure I have a charger that can refill the F-150’s battery during daylight hours using available solar energy…

The last piece of the near-zero-export / near-zero-import puzzle I’ve been trying to solve is coming into focus…

If the $40,000 pro version comes with a 2.4kw inverter that would do most people in a emergency.

I'm on the "long" list for it, but short term (thinking might get it before summer) is a Maverick.

Its good ford looks to be the first in line to mass produce a EV truck, or a decent Hybrid truck. I've never been a Chevy or Dodge fan.

Back