diy solar

diy solar

NEWS IEEE Spectum: The Top 10 EV Battery Makers CATL, LG Chem, and Panasonic control 69 percent of the market

Steve_S

Offgrid Cabineer, N.E. Ontario, Canada
Story LINK : The Top 10 EV Battery Makers

CATL, LG Chem, and Panasonic control 69 percent of the market​

LAWRENCE ULRICH
25 AUG 2021 5 MIN READ

Boomtimes in Batteries
It's a great time to be a battery maker: The world could see 145 million electric vehicles on roads by 2030, versus 10 million in 2020, according to the International Energy Agency. Buyers registered 3 million new EVs globally last year. Those cars were stuffed with 134.5 gigawatt-hours of batteries — a 40 percent jump in one year, according to Adamas Intelligence. Proliferation aside, many EVs require ever-larger batteries to meet consumer demands for driving range, zippy performance, and now SUV size and utility. Ryan Castilloux, managing director of Adamas Intelligence, says COVID-19 barely dented mushrooming growth: "Through five months of 2021, the total auto battery capacity deployed on the world's roads is greater than all of 2018."

FOLLOW LINK ABOVE for the rest of the Story. There is some Enlightening bits in it. NOTE that EVE is not mentioned.

Story LINK : The Top 10 EV Battery Makers

CATL, LG Chem, and Panasonic control 69 percent of the market​

LAWRENCE ULRICH
25 AUG 2021 5 MIN READ

Boomtimes in Batteries
It's a great time to be a battery maker: The world could see 145 million electric vehicles on roads by 2030, versus 10 million in 2020, according to the International Energy Agency. Buyers registered 3 million new EVs globally last year. Those cars were stuffed with 134.5 gigawatt-hours of batteries — a 40 percent jump in one year, according to Adamas Intelligence. Proliferation aside, many EVs require ever-larger batteries to meet consumer demands for driving range, zippy performance, and now SUV size and utility. Ryan Castilloux, managing director of Adamas Intelligence, says COVID-19 barely dented mushrooming growth: "Through five months of 2021, the total auto battery capacity deployed on the world's roads is greater than all of 2018."

FOLLOW LINK ABOVE for the rest of the Story. There is some Enlightening bits in it. NOTE that EVE is not mentioned.

And the biggest I think is BYD.
They sell a lot of EV and hybrid cars in China (not exporting it). Like the BYD Tang a 80km EV distance big hybrid SUV.
CATL is only in the list since Tesla started the Model 3 production in China.
Before that I can not name a single car with CATL battery.
EVE is not in that list because it is like CATL before Tesla.

Dollar Value, Quantities Produced & Diversified production CATL beats BYD.
List from article #1 Top to #10 at bottom.

• Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. (CATL)

EV makers served / under contract: BMW, Dongfeng Motor Corp., Honda, SAIC Motor Corp., Stellantis, Tesla, Volkswagen Group, Volvo Car Group
    Stats: 21.6 GWh deployed (Jan.-May 2021) / 26% market share / 3,400% growth, 2016-'20
  • LG Energy Solution
    EV makers served / under contract: General Motors, Groupe Renault, Stellantis, Tesla, Volvo, VW Group
    Stats: 21.4 GWh deployed (Jan.-May 2021) / 26% market share / 1,193% growth, 2016-'20
  • Panasonic
    EV makers served / under contract: Tesla, Toyota
    Stats: 14.1 GWh deployed (Jan.-May 2021) / 17% market share / 214% growth, 2016-'20
  • Samsung SDI
    EV makers served / under contract: BMW, Ford, Stellantis, VW Group
    Stats: 5.5 GWh deployed (Jan.-May 2021) / 7% market share / 399% growth, 2016-'20
  • BYD Co.
    EV makers served / under contract: BYD, Ford
    Stats: 5.5 GWh deployed (Jan.-May 2021) / 7% market share / 113% growth, 2016-'20
  • SK Innovation
    EV makers served / under contract: Daimler, Ford, Hyundai, Kia
    Stats: 3.4 GWh deployed (Jan.-May 2021) / 4% market share / 226% growth, 2016-'20
  • China Aviation Lithium Battery (CALB)
    EV makers served / under contract: GAC Motor, Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co.
    Stats: 2.7 GWh deployed (Jan.-May 2021) / 3% market share / 321% growth, 2016-'20
  • Gotion High-Tech
    EV makers served / under contract: Chery Automobile Co., SAIC, VW Group
    Stats: 1.4 GWh deployed (Jan.-May 2021) / 2% market share / 23% growth, 2016-'20
  • Automotive Energy Supply Corp. (AESC)
    EV makers served / under contract: Groupe Renault, Nissan
    Stats: 1.4 GWh deployed (Jan.-May 2021) / 2% market share / 46% growth, 2016-'20
  • Ruipu Energy Co. (REPT)
    EV makers served / under contract: Dongfeng, Yudo Auto
    Stats: 0.6 GWh deployed (Jan.-May 2021) / 1% market share / 100% growth, 2016-'20

Sources: Adamas Intelligence, BusinessKorea, Electrive, BMW, Ford, Honda, Volvo

Dollar Value, Quantities Produced & Diversified production CATL beats BYD.
List from article #1 Top to #10 at bottom.
Very interesting article, sharing it. Thanks. (I read it on mobile first and did not see the excel sheet )

CATL 26%? They make NMC too? I can not name a single car with LFP battery other than Tesla and BYD.
I also can not name one with CATL NMC. And just found CATL NMC prismatic 150Ah cell in alibaba.

This is also an interesting article about CATL
https://www.pv-magazine.com/2021/07...de-sodium-ion-batteries-a-commercial-reality/

There was maybe a weak ago a user who said get sodium ion battery for test.
I would really like to hear from that

MANY things will change in 2022 related to Battery production and yes, all the companies make different chemistries, largely because of raw source material grades and such. IP Rights also get released in 2022 for LFP and there is work on that now globally to set things up for it. Very DYNAMIC Sector and getting crazier all the time... As Maggie & I are heavily invested into Tesla and a couple of Battery Makers and LiCycle (Licy) too I keep my eye on things far beyond "this shtick" which is a hobby (ok passion too).

Until 2019 BYD was the biggest electric car manufacturer ( sorry this mislead me; mea maxima culpa )
It is interesting to see how much more batteries are made by other companies

Also makes batteries for solar systems and megapacks.
The BYD blade LFP needle test was surprising good (maybe interesting someday for DiY)

Last edited:
Back