diy solar

diy solar

NEWS: New LFP battery maker plans to establish gigafactory in United States

Steve_S

Offgrid Cabineer, N.E. Ontario, Canada

New LFP battery maker plans to establish gigafactory in United States​

By Kelly Pickerel | March 8, 2022 SOURCE: Solar Power World Online

American Battery Factory (ABF), a new lithium-iron phosphate battery maker, has announced plans to develop gigafactories in the United States.

“We talk a lot about generating renewable energy as a society, but not about how to store it,” said Zhenfang “Jim” Ge, ABF Chairman of the Board. “Without batteries, moving to an entirely green energy economy is impossible. Each factory we build will create an estimated 300 to 1,000 quality jobs. As our network grows, we will help mitigate decades of U.S. manufacturing job losses resulting from the closure of nearly 66,000 U.S. manufacturing sites while eventually making it possible to move the country and the entire world to 100% renewable power.”

ABF’s goal of developing a domestic battery manufacturing ecosystem will be the key to making energy independence and renewable energy a reality for the United States while also creating domestic manufacturing jobs. Today, almost 80% of all LFP battery manufacturing takes place in China. And when combined with the worldwide pandemic-induced supply chain disruptions, the time has come for the United States to develop its own LFP battery supply network. U.S.-based LFP battery manufacturing will also play a crucial role in meeting federal and state government climate change initiatives and “Made-in-USA” national security requirements.

Several initiatives to meet the demand for “Made-in-the-USA” LFP battery cells are already underway. For example, ABF is in active dialogue with pack integrators, energy storage solution providers and other organizations to develop U.S.-based supply partnerships. Forthcoming agreements and the first ABF manufacturing site will be announced in the coming months. ABF continues to actively look for new factory sites across America. The LFP batteries will be used in energy storage systems, EVs and within the U.S. military and government.

“Our vision is to make it possible for all individuals, neighborhoods, companies, utilities, states and sovereign entities to store and deploy the energy source of their choice through battery storage,” said Paul Charles, President and Chief Executive Officer at ABF. “By manufacturing the safest and most eco-friendly batteries for a cleaner world, American Battery Factory is committed to making energy more independent and flexible based on the vast inventory of power being generated today.”

ABF will manufacture enhanced high-performance prismatic LFP battery cells designed to perform 10,000+ life cycles (full charge and discharge).

The co-founders of ABF are Mr. Charles along with the co-founders of Lion Energy, where they incubated ABF within Lion Energy by leveraging 10 years of extensive energy storage experience.

News item from ABF

---

I would like to see that too. I wonder how affordable they will be? You know, there was a time in history when American companies were very competitive. Now days it seems that it is either all or nothing on profit margins. I.E. If they can't make a killing they don't do it at all. No middle ground or balanced marketing.

Great News! Hopefully some American lithium mines can start producing to aide the manufacturing.

I just found about this too and got excited... but now I keep reading articles about this is a money grab and vaporware and is designed to be a pump and dump.

This sucks, but after seeing Nikola Trucks, Lords Town, and a handful of these promise the world but delivery puft I am not holding my breath.

I think we are stuck with Chinese Manufacturers for at least the next decade until local manufacturing takes place.

Remember big oil is going to throw its weight around to slow this as much as it can.

I just found about this too and got excited... but now I keep reading articles about this is a money grab and vaporware and is designed to be a pump and dump.

This sucks, but after seeing Nikola Trucks, Lords Town, and a handful of these promise the world but delivery puft I am not holding my breath.

I think we are stuck with Chinese Manufacturers for at least the next decade until local manufacturing takes place.

Remember big oil is going to throw its weight around to slow this as much as it can.
You'll also notice that Korean / Japanese Companies are setting up in US.
Chinese companies have expressed interest to do so but are being Extremely Cautious due to the ever ramping BS Rhetoric being pushed and the increasing volatility in the US, including the increasing violence towards anyone who are assumed to be Chinese (sadly most people cannot tell the difference either & so this affects other Asians as well.)

EU is getting more & more involved with Chinese EV Makers. Even the Aussies are importing them now ! Thank Goodness that Scummy Scomo is POOFDAH !

Back