diy solar

diy solar

NEWS: New Midnite Solar DIY Series - SCC's & Inverters (great $ too)

Now get one in hand, crack it open and have a look at what's inside & who made it.
I have also seen many devices use similar or identical "cases" much like PC's but with quite different guts internally.
Appearance is not really much of an indicator. A possible clue but not an certainty.

That having been said, maybe a few remember the Wind Turbines that Midnite sold for "a little while", which well turned out to be... shall we say politely as "quite a dissapointment". That wasn't good.... that cost them a pile...

I can say that my Midnite Classic-200 has been a wonderful SCC and their E-Panels etc are Top Notch. I can also say they are very slow at R&D to Market and as such they are getting "Long in the Tooth" as other Tier-1 Companies are moving forward at a much faster rate.
Actually appearance is an indicator, and I've already tested that unit. It's the same one. It's not worth anyone's time. The only difference is if they flashed it with new firmware. They use the same internal components.

At least they are keeping it a separate line called "DIY" so that you know to avoid that. I still think they are going to be getting people buying that line thinking that it is Made in USA.

Would agree that their time to market for their "R&D" stuff is terrible. They were at trade shows years ago with the B17 and it still hasn't shipped. Their software and firmware update procedure is absolutely horrid compared to what is available today. They aren't moving fast enough and/or focused on wrong areas.

Midnite ... I can also say they are very slow at R&D to Market and as such they are getting "Long in the Tooth" as other Tier-1 Companies are moving forward at a much faster rate.

What innovation does anyone need in an inverter, except for lithium profile and UL-1741 SA?

Where I think innovation matters is load control. For both the grid and off-grid, controlling loads to match available power would provide higher utilization (lower cost per watt) and higher reliability. Ideally you have loads that are continuously variable and draw sine wave current (PF = 1.0). The inverter/charger can help by providing SoC, discharge rate, and information about excess PV production.

Actually appearance is an indicator, and I've already tested that unit. It's the same one. It's not worth anyone's time. The only difference is if they flashed it with new firmware. They use the same internal components.

Often, Software Sucks. Good software can make hardware more reliable and efficient (because bad software can damage hardware that relies on software for limit protection and control of stresses.) Did you find the hardware faulty or of marginal quality?

While these units may not have high surge rating, 3500W continuous is enough for starting surge of a refrigerator or window air conditioner. That should cover a large market. Central A/C would need something else.

This is actually a huge disappointment. They are low quality relabeled units.

The charge controller is sold by many distributors already:
View attachment 55428

And the inverter charger has tons of issues, and horrible reviews on every site I see it on. I tested one recently and in my opinion, it was garbage. Check out what others have said on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-3500W...renogy+inverter+charger&qid=1625756434&sr=8-4

I would avoid both like the plague. I had respect for midnite and their previous component selection, but this is just silly.
Ouch! Good catch.

Is this really a fair statement? You've tested the Renogy, correct? Have you tested the MidNite version?

I see Renogy here:

Is the issue with the internal components, or is the issue with the firmware?

Is there really no expectation of a better product from MidNite vs. Renogy?

Is Sol-Ark no better than Deye?

Is this really a fair statement? You've tested the Renogy, correct? Have you tested the MidNite version?

I see Renogy here:

Sure, having better software is important. And I have been sent numerous all in one prototypes that performed horribly because they did not have the same software as MPP or Growatt, even though they looked identical.

But that was not really my point. It is a cheap unit. The terminal blocks, the lack of mounting options for the bottom of the unit, the screen and overall build quality is awful. I expect MUCH better from midnite solar. I have always liked their products, and using a relabeled unit that everyone else is selling seems out of character. Especially a low quality product. You should buy it and look at it. It is not impressive at all.

I am ignorant on Deye. They look nice! But I have nothing to say in a comparison against Sol Ark. Are they both produced by one company?

There are so many relabeled units these days. Is it really worth the time to review an identical product over and over until someone finds a way to make it work? And is the increased suggested retail price really justified? The cost of the midnite is hundreds of dollars more than identical models.

There are so many relabeled units these days. Is it really worth the time to review an identical product over and over until someone finds a way to make it work? And is the increased suggested retail price really justified? The cost of the midnite is hundreds of dollars more than identical models.
Made in USA Label = add 400% retail markup.
Assembled in USA Label = add 200% retail markup
Made in China = add 100-200% Markup or more if you can relabel it and stick a US Brand Label on it.

I questioned the HF point with Midnite and got a lame response.

I am disappointed in Midnite doing this now, with a simple relabelling of a piece of kit. I thought at first (hoped I guess) that it was designed by Midnite and that they simply sub-contracted it to a big OEM to produce it with their specs, which would have been far more acceptable IMO. There are MANY Companies in China that will happily build things to Client Specifications and they do so for everyone.

Introducing this DIY line that is just a relabel makes me wonder if Midnite is having cash flow issues so they had to do something like this quickly.

Sure, having better software is important. And I have been sent numerous all in one prototypes that performed horribly because they did not have the same software as MPP or Growatt, even though they looked identical.

But that was not really my point. It is a cheap unit. The terminal blocks, the lack of mounting options for the bottom of the unit, the screen and overall build quality is awful. I expect MUCH better from midnite solar. I have always liked their products, and using a relabeled unit that everyone else is selling seems out of character. Especially a low quality product. You should buy it and look at it. It is not impressive at all.

I am ignorant on Deye. They look nice! But I have nothing to say in a comparison against Sol Ark. Are they both produced by one company?

Deye makes the Sol-Ark, but I believe the Sol-Ark is unique, i.e., Deye may make it, but Sol-Ark owns that specific design, and it is only produced for Sol-Ark though Deye makes similar units.

As you can see from my sig and my various pontifications, I'm a Victron snob, so you don't need to convince me of the low quality stuff. However, I don't see a distinction between the unit in question, MPP Solar or Growatt.

Maybe that's not fair since I've only seen the Growatt 3K, but even then I didn't pay much attention to quality. I simply looked down my nose at it. :)

I guess I want to assume that a Tier-1 supplier willing to put their name on it hasn't just relabeled it but has either "tweaked" the build quality or at the very least has stricter incoming quality requirements (testing, etc.).

Anyone have more info. on the Barcelona CC? Is the inverter mentioned above AKA Rosie? The Barcelona sheet says "Built in Arlington, WA USA" FWIW.

Anyone have more info. on the Barcelona CC? Is the inverter mentioned above AKA Rosie? The Barcelona sheet says "Built in Arlington, WA USA" FWIW.

Here is the latest on all that and more :

The most interesting takeaways for me were:

The next batch of DIY AIO units will be stackable and UL blessed. Current ones are not.

The split phase AIO will include a 500v MPPT.

Some transistor components they use have a 60 WEEK lead time. Yikes !

And, they seem to have a very collegial relationship with SMA and Fronius.

The most interesting takeaways for me were:
Only 1 year warranty on the DIY inverters, which is no surprise given what we know now. ;)

It sounds like they are getting closer to a lot of the new hardware they have been working on for years but it felt like even when I followed their forums they had been "getting close" for a long time.. and is why I finally had to give up on waiting for their new stuff 6 months ago and started switching over to all Victron equipment when updating my system. I got tired of waiting and/or their inability to clearly articulate the REAL status of where they were in the development process. I'd be surprised if we see any of the new USA made hardware before 2022.

Edit: I had been a strong Outback/Midnite proponent for a long time so that is why I feel somewhat let down by how all of this was handled (and the introduction of relabeled hardware which seems so wrong for them). I still will have a VFX3648 as backup since it has been working flawlessly for 15(?) years now.

Last edited:

I see Renogy here:

Sol Ark is not worth the price. I actually saw on in action. Its exactly what David poz experienced when he tested it on his utube channel.

I think I should also mention or support the others that requested will to actually test one of these units. Just to clear doubts.
Additionally, I also had the opportunity look at the performance of the Phocos line of all in one's they are pretty good but a bit too pricey for my pocket.

I think I should also mention or support the others that requested will to actually test one of these units. Just to clear doubts.
Additionally, I also had the opportunity look at the performance of the Phocos line of all in one's they are pretty good but a bit too pricey for my pocket.

Isn't the Phocos just another Voltronics unit (MPP Solar) with a reputable company name on it?

Isn't the Phocos just another Voltronics unit (MPP Solar) with a reputable company name on it?
I really don't know. A major difference with them is that they have sugre capabilities and performs to the name plate. I know the Mpp units does not have surge capabilities.
Even if they are Voltronics or Mpp they have some difference that is noticible in performance and make.
All the more reason for testing actual units.

I really don't know. A major difference with them is that they have sugre capabilities and performs to the name plate. I know the Mpp units does not have surge capabilities.
Even if they are Voltronics or Mpp they have some difference that is noticible in performance and make.
All the more reason for testing actual units.

Do you have evidence to support this claim?

Back