diy solar

diy solar

Next crate build plans: Doodle v1.0

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard
So I have plans to utilize some 280Ah EVE cells, a JBD SmartBMS 120a, and a Giandel 1200w inverter w/ 20a PWM to make a 3-layer box build. The idea is that the batteries would sit in the bottom with a couple heating pads on a digital controller, then the next deck up would house the BMS, inverter, shunt, fuse block, and all the wires. The top layer would be the space where you interact with the stuff with the 120v outlets, USB outlets, meters, etc as well as the MC4 connectors for plugging in the pair of 150w panels in parallel that will be with the unit.

I'm still working on the details of the exact wiring diagram as (is visible in the doodle) it gets pretty tangled in there pretty quick and still need to decide on what make & model of case will fit all the parts with enough room for the inverter and BMS to breathe.

What all am I missing y'all?

Attachments

• Crate Build v1.0.jpg
    Crate Build v1.0.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 15
Looks good. I use 45 amp Anderson pole disconnects on my crate build. Much easier to get on and off. For my portable setup on the Rv, I do use MC4. I can usually get these by hand, but occasionally need the tool.

I think a 20 amp SCC is quite limiting for a 1200 watt inverter, but could be fine for a limited use. I use a 15 amp SCC for a 300 watt inverter. That provides up to 420 charging watts on a 24 volt build.

One more thing, I found the all the milk crates i could buy totally inadequate and too cheaply built to hold up to my 300 watt inverter and 16 x 25ah cells. Yours is much bigger.

Hopefully you have access to a real milk crate from decades ago that was constructed to be abused. I could just find the ones from Walmart the you put some light junk in for cheap storage for your kid when they are moving out.

I think a 20 amp SCC is quite limiting for a 1200 watt inverter, but could be fine for a limited use. I use a 15 amp SCC for a 300 watt inverter. That provides up to 420 charging watts on a 24 volt build.
Oh, it totally is, but it's a case of I already HAVE the inverter/SCC unit sitting in a box. It's definitely not the greatest unit, being MSW and PWM, but I've got it handy. Depending on how I engineer this thing and it's panels I may end up hard-wiring more of the connection than planning on having it detachable.

Physics and budget are going to have a LOT to say in this build. :)

Physics allowing I do also have a 20a EPEver MPPT in the parts bin, I may end up paralleling that into the system.

Yes, this whole build is WWAAYY over-batteried. :D

One more thing, I found the all the milk crates i could buy totally inadequate and too cheaply built to hold up to my 300 watt inverter and 16 x 25ah cells. Yours is much bigger.
I'm leaning more towards a tool box or wheeled tote bin type arrangement so I can build up all the levels inside. There's no fitting a set of 280Ah cells in an actual milk crate AND anything else.

Using what you have is important. I did the math on how much I’ve saved on electricity in the last 12 months. It’d take over 100 years to pay for itself.

I like the idea of toolbox. I also wish I had something to roll it around like 12” or larger wheels on the bottom. For now I use a dolly.

Back