diy solar

diy solar

Next door unveils the EVILS of owning an electric car

Stucco

Following this thread on our Next Door about how much worse it is if you are trapped in an Electric Car in a snow storm vs a gas car.

What if you are low on power!

What if you get cold!

What if the car harvests your body's bio electricity to fulfill it's own lust for power!

Ok, one of those I might have added. So much face palming I think I hurt myself.

Another urban myth brought to us by the EV haters. Never mind reading some actual experiences in this past winter storms from EV owners trapped for 12+ hours. Much more fun to play make believe like grade schoolers.

There was an EV hater (fairly civilized though) on the Ford Truck forum. I put in my $.02 as I can argue both sides of the issue since I have an EV and a diesel truck.

Another urban myth brought to us by the EV haters. Never mind reading some actual experiences in this past winter storms from EV owners trapped for 12+ hours. Much more fun to play make believe like grade schoolers.

"Actual stories"? Gee I didnt know getting stuck in a snowstorm is a one size fits all situation that one persons experience applies to all. What we do know is that converting battery power to heat is terribly inefficient, and it would be a simple matter to test an ICE vehicle with X amount of fuel against the typical EV to see how long each can maintain survivable temperatures. We will of course allow each vehicle owner a 5 minute pitstop to refuel or recharge their vehicle as everyone with common sense does in the face of potential emergency. Oh, whats the matter, cant find a recharge station you can use for 4 hours to get ready? Thats too bad, there were a dozen gas stations in as many miles you could stop at.
So your wifes EV has a 120 mile range, shes got a 50 mile one way commute, she just got off work, its dark and a blizzard is coming in.

You think shes gonna make it home? Shell be an ice cube by midnight. If shes alive, theres no juice to drive the car or do anything but fumble around in the dark. Or this day you let her take a real car she can fill the tank up on the way home and last for DAYS if she has to?

Last edited:
"Actual stories"? Gee I didnt know getting stuck in a snowstorm is a one size fits all situation that one persons experience applies to all. What we do know is that converting battery power to heat is terribly inefficient, and it would be a simple matter to test an ICE vehicle with X amount of fuel against the typical EV to see how long each can maintain survivable temperatures. We will of course allow each vehicle owner a 5 minute pitstop to refuel or recharge their vehicle as everyone with common sense does in the face of potential emergency. Oh, whats the matter, cant find a recharge station you can use for 4 hours to get ready? Thats too bad, there were a dozen gas stations in as many miles you could stop at.
So your wifes EV has a 120 mile range, shes got a 50 mile one way commute, she just got off work, its dark and a blizzard is coming in.

You think shes gonna make it home? Shell be an ice cube by midnight. If shes alive, theres no juice to drive the car or do anything but fumble around in the dark. Or this day you let her take a real car she can fill the tank up on the way home and last for DAYS if she has to?

First of all, my wife would be smart enough to stay at work if a blizzard was imminent. Second, her car gets outfitted with snow tires, so 50 miles in a blizzard that hasn't yet started would probably be no big deal.

The issue that many of us that either have an EV or are proponents of EV's took exception with was the assertion in the media that the traffic jam was due to the stranded, out of juice EV's. Sure, if you're unprepared and aren't managing your state of charge you can get stuck on the side of the road. Frozen, though? In that situation it's not likely. The heater in my EV will run for at least 10 hours. The guys on the Leaf forum did a runtime calc and as I recall it was longer than that but 10 hours would have been good enough. If I was really concerned about holding the state of charge i would simply turn on the seat heater which could run for days.

First of all, my wife would be smart enough to stay at work if a blizzard was imminent. Second, her car gets outfitted with snow tires, so 50 miles in a blizzard that hasn't yet started would probably be no big deal.

The issue that many of us that either have an EV or are proponents of EV's took exception with was the assertion in the media that the traffic jam was due to the stranded, out of juice EV's. Sure, if you're unprepared and aren't managing your state of charge you can get stuck on the side of the road. Frozen, though? In that situation it's not likely. The heater in my EV will run for at least 10 hours. The guys on the Leaf forum did a runtime calc and as I recall it was longer than that but 10 hours would have been good enough. If I was really concerned about holding the state of charge i would simply turn on the seat heater which could run for days.
A seat heater isnt going to do much in life threatening cold.

Following this thread on our Next Door about how much worse it is if you are trapped in an Electric Car in a snow storm vs a gas car.

What if you are low on power!

What if you get cold!

What if the car harvests your body's bio electricity to fulfill it's own lust for power!

Ok, one of those I might have added. So much face palming I think I hurt myself.

A seat heater isnt going to do much in life threatening cold.
Says the guy who's probably never owned a vehicle with seat heaters.

The heaters in my pickup truck would keep you warm at the south pole so long as you could power them.

Back