diy solar

diy solar

NINTHCIT 120AH cells review

Hello.
Today my 8 cells of 200Ah arrived. All mediate between 3.297v 3.298v.
I have bought a cheap power supply 1-30v 10A .
I connect the the cells in parallel and put 3.4v and maximum current in the power supply and it only gives 1.8A.
the measurement in the cells in parallel is 3.3v.
is the power supply bad? It is too little current for the missing load, right?

1. Remove the leads from the battery. Very important that you do this.
2. Change the voltage setting on the power supply to 3.6
3. Reconnect the leads.

You should get more amps with this little change.

Subiendo hasta 3.6v carga 5.9A.
Me hubiera gustado hacer una gran carga con 3.4v sin tener que controlar la carga. con 3.6v tendré que estar mirando.
todavía parece que va a ser un proceso lento
Gracias

Another power supply in CV mode when it should be in CC mode due to crappy cables and connections. And not putting out the current it's capable of.

I am thinking I have a victron orion tr smart 30A AC charger.
It has the function of charger or power supply.
Would it be a good idea to connect the cells in parallel and charge them at 13.6v 30A and then terminate up to 3.6v cells connected in series with the power supply?

sorry. I have written it backwards. Charge13.6v in series. and terminate 3.6v parallel

sorry. I have written it backwards. Charge13.6v in series. and terminate 3.6v parallel
The cells will charge much faster connected in series but you must use a BMS if charging in series.

Once they are charged using your Victron, then you can assemble the pack back to parallel and resume your top balancing.

Another power supply in CV mode when it should be in CC mode due to crappy cables and connections. And not putting out the current it's capable of.

Not sure which other one is referenced but....

Mine was defective when I received it apparently. Only had it one month.
It was all over the place....so I tried everything. It was not cables or user error in this particular case. A different PSU did the trick.
I was reluctant to believe my brand new power supply could be the problem but it was.

The faulty Dr.Meter PSU was returned to Amazon (minus a 20% restocking fee for being 4 days past the 30 day window)

Last edited:
I think we got some decent news on these cells. I have been too busy to do the final top balance but my cells have been holding 3.42V for a couple weeks. @OnTheRoadAgain Pm'ed me and said he did a capacity test and it was a winner. I want to clamp my cells before doing the full capacity top balance but am too busy building my kids a treehouse right now. Priorities.....

You have your priorities right! The batteries will wait.
Yeah, the treehouse is coming out pretty great, I am also making it as an adult chill spot. Nice sitting up in the tree at the back of the yard. Might have to make it a solar treehouse!

Qty 4 of 125Ah NINTHCIT ordered from Amzn. Arrived in 4 working days from CA warehouse to WA. Packed very well and double boxed as described above. All look clean and mostly very good. Two had some slight ripple and a small amount of bulge in the side walls. Came with 4 bus bars (need 6 to parallel), 8 nuts and 8 threaded rod segments. Tappings were clean but a bit loose and out of vertical alignment significantly. Once tightened the straighten out which makes me wonder how long they will hold. Definitely wish I had gone for something with welded studs. Out of the box voltage was a very low SOC of 2.90V on all cells. Top balancing now and so-far going well. They are clamped, but the bulging is increasing visibly.

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPG

I have some bulging on my cells. Stopped the top balance until I can get them clamped.

Really going back and forth on...do I buy these Grade A for about $422 from AliExpress or buy "New" for about $220 and roll the dice. The US delivery and warranty make me lean Ninthcit route, but gonna be my first dive into this and buying a $50 PSU and $80 BMW from lithiumbatterypcb.com gets me 20ah more than Renogy 100ah at $700 ($600 is lowest I think anyone has ever seen...)

Seeing your and OnTheRoadAgain's post gives me a little confidence. :)

Building for my westy

Back