diy solar

diy solar

Nissan Leaf - possible LTO replacement for the 12V SLA accessory battery

Tron Jockey

I have a Nissan Leaf and would like to build an LTO battery to replace the 12V Lead Acid accessory battery. I don't want to use LiFePo due to the low temperature restrictions and it's often cold where I live. I fear the battery would slowly become discharged when below Zero F for long periods of time. I like LTO chemistry because of its near indestructible nature. I've seen where 12V automotive LTO batteries are now commercially available but they are 6-cell stack (6S) configurations which are designed for typical ICE vehicle automotive charging systems (13.8V-14.8V). However, the Nissan Leaf only has a 13.0V float voltage to keep the accessory battery charged. 13V would be perfect for a 5-cell (5S) configuration but I know of no company making these. Has anyone tried this? I would like to build one but would like advice on the best BMS.

I'm using JK BMS's for a stationary 24v LTO bank using Toshiba cells. They are the best BMS I could find in terms of build quality for LTOs. However, they won't work for 5s without a boost converter. You could ask Heltec or another seller of the BMS's.

Back