diy solar

diy solar

No crimper needed anymore: "Compression Lug Connectors"

Johan

Off-grid energy systems enthusiast.
The following "Compression Lug Connector" no longer requires dedicated crimp tools:
remy.PNG
I just stumbled over these here - includes a video of assembly.

However:
  1. What will a cross-section look like after grinding it open? As done here for example.
  2. Will they operate as "cool" as the traditionally crimped ones?

I've seen lead/acid batteries eat compression lugs apart in a couple weeks.
Think about what moisture is going to do inside those terminals...

While I take a lot of crap about hard crimp (mechanical connection),
Electrical solder (electrical connection),
And glue lined heat shrink (environmental seal),
It makes a low resistance terminal end that doesn't fail.

It will be crimp, solder & glue heat shrink for me in the foreseeable future, particularly for high amp cables.

They are nice but they just cost way to much for what you get. I would only use them if I need to reuse the cable for something other than the lug.

I've seen lead/acid batteries eat compression lugs apart in a couple weeks.
Think about what moisture is going to do inside those terminals...

While I take a lot of crap about hard crimp (mechanical connection),
Electrical solder (electrical connection),
And glue lined heat shrink (environmental seal),
It makes a low resistance terminal end that doesn't fail.

It will be crimp, solder & glue heat shrink for me in the foreseeable future, particularly for high amp cables.
What do you use to solder 2/0 wire?

This $20 hammer crimper will last a lifetime and costs the same as only 2pcs of 4/0 lugs
Hammer is not included ;)

TEMCo Hammer Lug Crimper Tool 5 Year Warranty
by TEMCo Industrial
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E1UUVT0/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_CAmnEbF47GKVQ
I've really become fond of the hammer crimper. I usually take it outside and use it on a concrete slab. The end result seems more solid than pretty much anything else. And it does my spirit good to beat on something with a hammer from time to time.

Video's showing a cut lug to inspect how well the copper was compressed are faulty. I'm surprised they still post these silly videos.

The process of cutting the copper lug where the wire is compressed and then looking at the cut to see if it had good compression, is a joke. The process of cutting causes the metal to "smear" and create a nice smooth looking surface where they may (or may not) have been one previously.

As for cable lugs, don't cut corners.. get a crimper, do it right, apply glued heat shrink tubing when you're done. And if you're bolting to an aluminum mating surface, use some Noalox.

And it does my spirit good to beat on something with a hammer from time to time.
Same here. Beating metal to submission creates some internal dopamine rush. I think some of my ancestors were blacksmiths or maybe I was in previous lives if you believe in this sort of thing.

In a mobile application, such as boat, air, or automotive, it is not advisable to use solder on cable connections. The stranded wire will heat harden during the soldering and be prone to failure by breaking. A proper crimped connection will be better than any other connection.

It’s not heat hardening. Annealing copper or aluminum softens them.

They work-harden and fail due to cyclic inertial strain or- with aluminum- crystalline embrittlement.

Back