diy solar

diy solar

No power going from my solar charge controller to submersible well pump

Scott McDougal

Hello all,

I'm wondering if someone could help me with an issue I am facing regarding my solar well pump setup. I apologize in advance if I have trouble explaining the details as I am not very well-versed in this sort of thing.

My father and I recently set up a simple solar well pump system in our off-grid cabin in the mountains. It is a solar power system we bought with a single 100W solar panel, 100AH 12V battery, submersible well pump, and cheap PWM charge controller similar to this kit: https://www.amazon.com/ECO-WORTHY-S...well+pump&qid=1623791007&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-6

We tested it pretty thoroughly before taking it up to our cabin and didn't run into any issues. When we set it up at our cabin, it worked fine for a few hours but then unfortunately the pump stopped pumping water (The pump seemingly was no longer drawing power). When this happened, the display on the charge controller read "E04" which apparently means "Output Short Circuit Warning". We tried switching to another cheap PWM charge controller that is a different brand but ran into the same issue of no power getting to the well pump. This one did not give any error messages though and everything appeared normal on the display. Then we finally just wired the well pump directly to the battery and it started pumping with no issues. We are at a loss as to why the well pump would work when connected directly to the battery but not the charge controllers.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be the problem here? Could it be a wiring issue from the well pump to the charge controllers? Everything from the pump to the charge controller is stock wiring aside from some fuse breakers we added on. Really appreciate any help!

Welcome to the forum.

PWM charge controllers have ratings on their load ports. If you exceed these, they won't operate and may report a short.

Did you measure the current flowing to the pump when connected to the battery and confirm it meets spec?

Pretty sure most controller load outputs are for low current loads like light.

Back