diy solar

diy solar

No room for useable solar

Tedski

So I'm ready to spring on the purchase of 100ah lithium, battery, 40 amp DC to DC charger, 1000w sine wave inverter, and all the reset of the stuff to finish my first small minivan conversion. Power needs are Frig, small diesel heater, lighting, lab top, I phone, etc. but no big items like air, or other high amp draw stuff. When I look at solar I have dificulty justifying the cost versus the reward. Limited roof space heavily restricts the amount of solar. (200 watts tops). Considering all the downsides of solar (which nobody seems to talk about) my thoughts are solar is somewhat unreliable and it'll take many hours to top up the battery . (Especially in winter) So my thoughts are forget solar and use my rebuilt 125amp alternator to provide totally reliable recharging. Am I stupid?

In many cases it is hard to have a solar setup that does not need some other supplemental charging. But if you can use solar keep your battery up a bit longer before you need the alternator charging, that is "free" if you don't count the initial cost (yes sounds dumb when said out loud). Higher charge state is money in the bank and an additonal 100 watts coming in could help you worry a bit less about the current charge state.

In many cases it is hard to have a solar setup that does not need some other supplemental charging. But if you can use solar keep your battery up a bit longer before you need the alternator charging, that is "free" if you don't count the initial cost (yes sounds dumb when said out loud). Higher charge state is money in the bank and an additonal 100 watts coming in could help you worry a bit less about the current charge state.
DThames,
Thanks much for the reply. Sorry for the slow reply!! I understand your response completely. However when I look at cost versus reward it'll take at least five years to get my money back and I think having such a small backup gives little security . From a good amount of reading on the subject the facts tell me the reliability of having uninterrupted power is directly related to having a very large solar array to supplement usage. I don't see anybody who hasn't got both a DC to DC charger and shore AC chargers. That sort of tells me something. I wonder how many people are really "off the grid"? If they are, their probably not running their micro waves and water heaters, and if they're using them, they probably got solar panels everywhere. I have no experience yet but sure would like your thoughts on the ture cost versur reward of solar. HAGD

DThames,
Thanks much for the reply. Sorry for the slow reply!! I understand your response completely. However when I look at cost versus reward it'll take at least five years to get my money back and I think having such a small backup gives little security . From a good amount of reading on the subject the facts tell me the reliability of having uninterrupted power is directly related to having a very large solar array to supplement usage. I don't see anybody who hasn't got both a DC to DC charger and shore AC chargers. That sort of tells me something. I wonder how many people are really "off the grid"? If they are, their probably not running their micro waves and water heaters, and if they're using them, they probably got solar panels everywhere. I have no experience yet but sure would like your thoughts on the ture cost versur reward of solar. HAGD
I think it may be close to one of those, "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it".....or more correctly can't justify it. I had 6, 290 watt used panels that I connected for stand by emergency power. After some study, I purchased 12 new 305watt panels. 10 of those 18 panels are connected and for the most part just sit there looking pretty. I have been doing some weekend load shifting, running my emergency plan loads on the weekend to get a feel for power usage. I can say that I can now cool my garage (small window unit) for free when I want to.

I don't think I said anywhere how much anything costs so I'm not sure where that comment came from. Money by far is the last thing I have to worry about. I guess you felt you wanted twelve new panels and you're certainly have the right to buy them as well as letting 10 of them sit pretty doing nothing, or cool the garage,that is rb or anything else. But one thing you said is your not cooling the garage for free unless you got the 12 panels for free right?. I think indirectly you answered my original inquiry. HAGD

I recommend getting a 1kva generator and a 15-20a charger for times of prolonged stays.

Even though you've got the dc-dc charger, little generators are accepted a bit more by neighboring folk in camping areas than your vehicle running for an hour at a time.

Back