diy solar

diy solar

Nominal Operating Voltage 360VDC PowMr 5KW Hybrid question

AntonieCebu

Hi,

We have a new PowMr 5KW Hybrid inverter setup with 8x450W Panels and a 10KW / 200ah Battery.

Now the system doesn't switch over to solar (Stays on bypass) and in order for it to use solar and my installer says we are lacking panels and need to add 2 panels more as the Nominal Operating Voltage for the inverter is 360VDC. When measuring using a multimeter we are at 350VDC. I'm assuming my installer is correct but I wanted to check with you guys as well.

Also if so does this mean that 360VDC is the minimum and what would be the maximum? We are planning to by a secondary Hybrid Inverter and additional battery to run the system in Parallel for a 10KW setup (Eventually adding in more panels)

Any thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Can you provide us the user manual so we can read the spec of this SCC?
What is the exact model number of this SCC?

Can you provide us the user manual so we can read the spec of this SCC?
What is the exact model number of this SCC?

This is the manual, according to the listing it has a build in MPPT Solar Charge Controller
specs-mrpow.png

Last edited:
Where do you see '360V nominal operating Voltage?
Page 7 and the spec show:
- Voc of PV module should be higher than min. battery Voltage
- Max PV input Voltage: 450VDC
- MPPT Voltage range: 120 ~ 430VDC

Where do you see '360V nominal operating Voltage?
Page 7 and the spec show:
- Voc of PV module should be higher than min. battery Voltage
- Max PV input Voltage: 450VDC
- MPPT Voltage range: 120 ~ 430VDC
It's on the side of the inverter

inverter-sticker.jpeg

That does not make sense, some unit requires start-up Voltage to be about 5V higher than the battery Voltage for the controller to wake up.
And as you can see, the MPPT Voltage range can be as low as 120VDC.
I wonder if they mean 360VDC startup Voltage to wake up the unit, but it does not indicate that in the spec sheet.

That does not make sense, some unit requires start-up Voltage to be about 5V higher than the battery Voltage for the controller to wake up.
And as you can see, the MPPT Voltage range can be as low as 120VDC.
I wonder if they mean 360VDC startup Voltage to wake up the unit, but it does not indicate that in the spec sheet.
Yeah exactly, it's pretty surprising on my end as well, ill try to switch off the set for 30m and restart it to see if it makes a difference

I'm gonna follow this as I'm eyeballing the 120v unit for my neighbor's place. Have you tried emailing PowMr? I've always had good luck getting responses back in a day or 3 from them. It Should kick on once you break 120v on the PV so hmmmm....

I'm gonna follow this as I'm eyeballing the 120v unit for my neighbor's place. Have you tried emailing PowMr? I've always had good luck getting responses back in a day or 3 from them. It Should kick on once you break 120v on the PV so hmmmm....
I've messaged them but since it's Sunday I don't expect anything back yet. Getting the additional panels tomorrow installed as well to see if that sorts out the issue. Will keep you posted

UPDATE: Added in the additional two panels and restarted the whole system ( First Solar, Then Battery ,Then Inverter Then Utility ). This resulted in the system working and providing power directly from the panels. However after an hour or so the inverter started beeping and switched back to Bypass mode. I'm in contact with PowMr support directly hoping they can shed light on it, the PowMr support also mentioned that the startup voltage is 150v so it should have been more than enough.

UPDATE 2: PowMr came back saying my breakers are too small for the battery and to big for the PV. Both are 63A, They recommend switching to a 100A for the battery and 23A for the PV system

UPDATE 3: So breakers changed but issue remains, the system doesn't trip the breaker but setting it to SBU mode (Solar, Battery, Utility) allows for operation on Solar for about an hour then the battery seems to be drained even though it should be charged via the utility/grid. Talking to the PowMr support for further troubleshooting

Last edited:
I have the same problem with my Powmr. There is a problem with the mainboard and the supplier is sending a replacement board. Previously, the unit will not charge using the built in AC charger. Then I started having the same problem as you mentioned in this thread. I tried draining the battery to minimum then the PV will charge again for a while, but that problem will recur

Last edited:
I have the same problem with my Powmr. There is a problem with the mainboard and the supplier is sending a replacement board. Previously, the unit will not charge using the built in AC charger. Then I started having the same problem as you mentioned in this thread. I tried draining the battery to minimum then the PV will charge again for a while, but that problem will recur
Yeah i've been given a fault report document which I am going to fill in, ill do it again tomorrow first by restarting the entire system and then sending it over.

If I don't connect the grid the setup is working perfectly fine but as soon as I turn on utility it switches to bypass mode directly.

So I got a bit further in my investigation, it looks like the installers might have messed up something. Now the trick is to figure out what.

I noticed that the PV Charge is always around 4.9KW even at night! That's impossible, the inverter sees it, is there a possibility that they wired the battery incorrectly so its shown as a PV charge?

So wires
Did you ever resolve this issue? Swapping battery and PV wires seems like a colossal oopsie :eek:
Wires were never crossed, turns out the inverter doesn't display readings properly and PowMr support probably knew this as their resolution to the problem was " Please use a multi meter to check your PV readings"

Ended up returning it and going for a Deye 8KW Hybrid and am very happy with it

Back