diy solar

diy solar

Noob - Jackery DC to RV 12V

Mtndrew1

I searched but cannot find an answer, my apologies if I missed it elsewhere.

I have a small RV (Cherokee Wolf Pup 14CC) which I run exclusively on 12V DC when boondocking. It has a 12V compressor fridge, furnace, a few LED lights, and a water pump. The total combined consumption at any one time is about 9 amps.

On my last trip I was burning through my 12V lead acid battery a little fast and plugged my Jackery 300 into the trailer’s 120V connection. This slowed the depletion of the PbA battery but wasn’t very efficient. The Jackery took the DC power and inverted it to AC and then the trailer converted it back to DC for consumption. It also lit up the microwave which pulls a few watts. There was a significant loss of power in this process but it worked.

Is it possible to just use the 12V 10A regulated outlet on the Jackery and attach alligator clips to the 12V house battery on the trailer? Will this allow me to consume the Jackery’s power more efficiently?

Someone will probably be able to give you precise numbers that this rank amateur cannot. I couldn’t find the efficiency rating for the Jackery’s inverter, but even with the most efficient inverters there are going to be some inefficiencies. Same for converting as well. Using the alligator clips should cut out those inverting/converting inefficiencies and the draw from whatever AC appliances are in your RV, like the microwave you mentioned. You’ll still have a little inefficiency from the jackery converting it’s 21.6vdc to the 12vdc for the alligator clips, but it’s my general understanding that converting below 48vdc is much more efficient than converting 110ac to 12vdc. Give it a try and see if it works for your needs.

Is this lead acid battery standalone? Or are you solar charging it? 200W of solar and a second deep cycle lead battery will give you “four times” the available battery because it should both charge and keep up with demand daytimes, so you have double the battery and only need battery storage half the time (dark).

Even 200W of panels with your single battery is a huge advantage, plus even decent pwm charge controllers can extend the life of lead-acid batteries substantially over “voltage replacement” charging while traveling or with the shore power cord.

EDIT: looks like a fly-by; OP was months ago with one message and no return by mtndrew1

Back