diy solar

diy solar

Noodling out my new sheds, could use input on which way to go

So I'm getting new sheds for the garden and storage at home since one of them is cheap plastic and the other is coming down on its own. I need to have lights, a battery tender for the lawnmower, and the occasional thing I might want to plug in (like power tool chargers and speakers and such) so doing a power audit is really, really difficult. The lights in one shed might get used for a half hour every few months, the garden shed less often, and so on.

So, what I HAVE decided on so far is:

1: I'll be going 24v
2: I want ~2Kw+ of inverter capability (hence the 24v)
3: I will have separate circuits for each shed's lights and outlets (because nothing frustrates like trying to install a light fixture and not being able to plug in a lamp! Grrr!)
4: Due to environmental (as in the cold and neglect, not the hippies. :) ) concerns I'll be using FLA batteries from WalMart. LFP is a no-go. :(
5: I'm on a budget of about $2000 and still need wire.
6: Used panels on CL are about $3-5/watt (it sucks in my area) and the shipping on used panels from elsewhere is $300+ $n/Panel, and I really don't want cracked/snail-trail/faded/really-beat-up panels if I can avoid them. Used in good condition would be OK but I'm seeing a serious lack of availability.

Common Parts either way I go are:
2x WalllyWorld 29DC 122Ah FLA batteries $200
Siemens 125a Load Panel $30
2x 15a breakers $12
2x 20a breakers $13
200a DC breaker to inverter $31
150a ANL fuse for the battery $16
4x Newpowa 210w Solar Panels in 2s2p for 840w $840
OR
4x Canadian Solar 310w Used Panels $820

Total So Far: ~$1150

Option 1 - The Component Route: $500
EPEver 40a SCC Tracer 4210AN $130
Giandel 2000w 24v Pure Sine Inverter $370

Pro's: Cheaper, easier to replace individual components
Con's: Less expandability on solar panels, lower total capacity for AC power

Option 2 - The AIO Route: $650
MPP 2424 AIO unit $650

Pro's: Simpler to setup, less wiring, higher capacity for panels and load
Con's: Extra $150, higher standby draw, single point of failure

Option 3 - The In The Middle: $560
EPEver Tracer AN 60a SCC $240
WZRELB 2500w 24v Pure Sine Inverter $320

Pro's: More capacity on inverter, more capacity for panels
Con's: Multiple points of failure, not sure about WZRELB seems pretty hit-or-miss

Thoughts? Ideas? Am I missing something?
Just wondering getting the 4210 bn series instead of the 4210 an series? In case you have poor solar collection during the year, the an series in that model, you can over panel to 1560 watts max but the bn series you can over panel to 3120 watts in a 24 volt setup. Although it is about 90 bucks more.

Back