diy solar

diy solar

Normal swelling of aluminium cased cells?

First, yes, your cells are swollen. Get some clamps on them, or something. Do this before you charge them any further. By allowing the cells to expand you may be putting stress on the cell terminals.

Second, your bus bars are incorrectly installed (slightly). They should not be installed from the bottom of one post to the top of the next. A bus bar should either be on the bottom of both posts or the top of both posts. The way you have them installed, the bus bars may not be making good contact with the cell terminals and other bus bars.
Thank you, HRTKD. I did the top balance in another room and then took the cells apart to move them. I did not know about the bus bar allignment, but have corrected this now. I intend to compress them once I install a BMS. When I finally got up to 3.55, I figured that was close enough and stopped the top balance.

I looked back and noticed you did not receive the cells in that condition.

I wonder what steps you took to parallel top balance? If you used a power supply and set the voltage of the power supply after connecting to the cells then you overcharged them. They look like they were overcharged. Did you verify the voltage at the terminals with a DMM? Did you verify the voltage of the power supply was correct? You need to bring the voltages of the cells down and see if they will deflate.
I did use a power supply and did the top balance in my office so I could monitor the process while power was on. They were never left unattended and I turned off the charger whenever I was not there. I kept it at about 8 amps (seems like voltage was always under 10) and did not overcharge them. Yes, I used a DMM and regularly checked the voltage on the individual cells. They were not like this when I got them, but were flat.

Last edited:
I did use a power supply and did the top balance in my office so I could monitor the process while power was on. They were never left unattended and I turned off the charger whenever I was not there. I kept it at about 8 amps (seems like voltage was always under 10) and did not overcharge them. Yes, I used a DMM and regularly checked the voltage on the individual cells. They were not like this when I got them, but were flat.

Mine swelled up the same amount and shrank back down when I discharged them with a capacity test.

My guess is your cells are completely fine, but there are two issues to be careful about:

#1 stress on the soft aluminum terminals. I only threaded the bundled screws into my terminals twice yet managed to strip one thread. The threads are extremely fragile and the stress applied when connections were tightened when empty and then cells are charged without compression to full can accelerate wear/degradation of the aluminum threads.

Securing stainless grubscrews into the aluminum threads before any further use/testing is what I am doing to avoid risking any more stripped threads.

#2 Charging without any compression at all is not supposed to degrade the cells significantly, but if you are going to do this, the busbars should be attached when the cells are near full (swelled) and allowed to shrink when discharged (forming gaps between cells). Creating even a simple/temporary clamping jig is a better way to assure swelling is not putting undue mechanical stress on busbars/terminals.

Please tell me you set the voltage to 3.6 or thereabout before connecting, and after you connect, you did not touch the supply again?

If he was monitoring the voltage on individual cells he did not overcharge them.

He stated that he turned off the charger whenever he was out of the room and was monitoring individual cell voltages with a DMM.

Charge voltage is pretty much irrelevant in that situation (but dangerous).

I know, but we've seen other people in these kinds of threads doing this, promising they didn't - while they did. So call me a skeptic at this time, especially when OP mentions that the voltage stayed below 10 - why not 5?

I know, but we've seen other people in these kinds of threads doing this, promising they didn't - while they did. So call me a skeptic at this time, especially when OP mentions that the voltage stayed below 10 - why not 5?
Yup, and the gaps shown in the photos are bad IMO. My EVE cells don't expand nearly that much with a full SOC.

I have wondered about swelling since I got my cells. They were slightly swollen when I got them. Just enough so the bus-bars are bit too short. In the process of top balancing 16 x 202Ah now. This is how they look after top balancing.

Is this swelling ok?

Should I do something to compress the cells? If yes, enough with gaffa-tape?

Attachments

• 2021-05-20 15.00.28.jpg
    2021-05-20 15.00.28.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 2021-05-20 15.00.20.jpg
    2021-05-20 15.00.20.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 2021-05-20 15.00.11.jpg
    2021-05-20 15.00.11.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 26
I have wondered about swelling since I got my cells. They were slightly swollen when I got them. Just enough so the bus-bars are bit too short. In the process of top balancing 16 x 202Ah now. This is how they look after top balancing. Is this swelling ok?

Should I do something to compress the cells? If yes, enough with gaffa-tape?
For reference, here's my compression method, used on a 4S "12.8V" battery pack. I used springs, 1/4" threaded round bar, and thin steel plates at the two ends. Also note the use of thin plastic separator sheets between cells. Your 200Ah cells might need 5/16 threaded round bar (instead of my 1/4" size) and stronger springs - but can otherwise be similar. https://diysolarforum.com/attachments/homebuilt-120ah-number-one-jpg.48423/

Last edited:
For reference, here's my compression method, used on a 4S "12.8V" battery pack. I used springs, 1/4" threaded round bar, and thin steel plates at the two ends. Also note the use of thin plastic separator sheets between cells. Your 200Ah cells might need 5/16 threaded round bar (instead of my 1/4" size) and stronger springs - but can otherwise be similar. https://diysolarforum.com/attachments/homebuilt-120ah-number-one-jpg.48423/
That's a pretty cool setup. Where did you get the springs? How did you size them? Thanks!

That's a pretty cool setup. Where did you get the springs? How did you size them? Thanks!
I bought from https://www.thespringstore.com, which has great selection but a relatively high minimum order amount (in dollars). For 5/16 bar with washers, you can use an inner diameter of between .4" and around .5", that is your most limiting factor. Depending on whether you will use 4 or six sets of bars and springs, you will need a maximum compressed strength of 70-110 lbs (6 bars) or 110-150 lbs (4 bars). You don't want them to become fully compressed, because further cell "expansion" will no room left to expand, and the resulting pressure will be non-linear. You need to have beveled ends ground into the springs, so that they will lie flat against their washers.

In my photo, those springs are over-compressed on purpose, - because the cells are at maximum charge, and are being compressed for the very first time after a lot of swelling in a previous and uncompressed battery case. (The cells are being "flattened" aggressively, with a couple of springs almost totally flattened.) I'll be taking at least a couple turns of 'pressure' out from the end bolts before I begin to use the battery pack within the RV where I will be installing it.

So when top-balancing for the first time out of the package, should you compress during the process, or top balance, then compress?

IMO, moderate compression first, then top balance the individual cells before adding bus bars.

IMO, moderate compression first, then top balance the individual cells before adding bus bars.
Maybe I'm missing something but...why would I top balance 4 cells individually? Shouldn't I be top balancing all 4 cells in parallel then when 0 amps, build the pack in series?

Back