diy solar

diy solar

North American manufacturing advice.

Becalm electric

Hola from Mexico. I am trying to start a business in a small community. There is a tiny bit of unreliable grid, and lots of folks who want to go off of it. Mexican terrifs on chinese manufacturing are very steep. Any have advice on a small all in one box manufactured in North America?

Ideally it supports a 48V system, and like an all in one box, does the rest of the functions. 3K and 5K are the unit sizes I need and hope to stock. they fit the loads for most homes. Overnight air conditioning use determins the battery size needed.

Thoughts?

The SolArk 5k MIGHT work as it's partly designed, marketed, and sold by a US company, but I believe they are mostly manufactured to their specs by China. So that might be an option.

Welcome to the party Becalm electric.

I believe MidNite Solar manufacturers high quality products in the USA. Small all in one, that I can't answer.

Thanks so much, I will investigate. Sad to think that the US may not manufacture all in one boxes. Thanks for the answers.

Sad to think that the US may not manufacture…
…so many things.

Because the market culture here has evolved in the last 40 years to accept cheaper quality at a lesser price we don’t have a lot of options.

It makes little sense to me. With post-modern technology, manufacturing economy of scale, government-heavy GNP, and so many employable but not working people I’m mystified that the US doesn’t create its own economy in this and other segments.

I don’t buy the excuse of ‘cheap foreign labor.’ While a factor for sure, at the same time when we observe that so many foreign manufacturers assemble automobiles successfully here while Detroit - though improving- often falters. It’s more than a price of labor factor. The culture has forgotten the work ethic that was demonstrated so remarkably in WW2.

We can do it but we don’t- and blame big corporations and government for our own unwillingness to work and buy American.

I got a lightly used 1994 bmw once. I was amazed that the manual enumerated that it was made with 96% German-made components. The 4% mostly was the Peugeot transmission (BMW owned Peugeot at the time).

Mexico could benefit from some nationalism- so could the USA. But nationalism unfortunately has become culturally unacceptable here because misguided people think it’s racist or something.

We could use some pride like we had when ibm was on top and the corvair was an engineering marvel; when Americans were working and welfare benefits were embarrassing to accept; when 14 hour work days still made time for family and helping a neighbor. We don’t have a global economy- we have local economies that the consumer has abandoned. Rather than living well ‘we’ accept cheap at the expense of our neighbors and in the end: ourselves.

I wonder what price will offer for overpriced brands "Made in Nord America".
Simple example:
Latest video of Will Prowse
Trophy battery 100A
in Nord America 1500USD
in China exact same one cost just 500 USD
Tree times more for same product.

Consumers are generally short-sighted, price-conscious and not willing to pay a premium for better quality and durability.
I agree it would be nice if we all supported North American labour; you go first!

Back