diy solar

diy solar

North Carolina HOA Help

Lots of comments about not living in an HOA. That's getting a lot harder to find in NC.

In 1999 they passed a law that all new neighborhoods (over 20 lots) have to have one. Older HOAs seem to have less restrictions but some of the newer ones are crazy.

Lots of comments about not living in an HOA. That's getting a lot harder to find in NC.

In 1999 they passed a law that all new neighborhoods (over 20 lots) have to have one. Older HOAs seem to have less restrictions but some of the newer ones are crazy.

wow, so much for "land of the free"

Live free or Die?

Guess not so much.

Non HOA related but more of local ordinance related:

What I despised when we were looking for a home was local town ordinance that required each new construction home to install sprinkler (fire suppression) system unless there was a cistern xxx ft away. This added on 8-12k to home construction cost with zero benefits, ate up a huge portion of the basement due to 800gallons needing to be on site. The on demand sprinkler systems weren’t designed to save the building so insurance rates didn’t go down they infact went up do to so many numerous false events and subsequent water damage.

It turned me off so much we stopped looking at that particular town and instead ended up with something build in 2002 sans sprinkler system. I swear the Fire Chief that bamboozled the town into signing that law must have got some nice all paid trip to Vegas or some place by the sprinkler companies.

In Durham, Nc our HOA got so I and 6 other family's left in the span of 7 months. That was many years ago the last one for me. We had two couples move in and immediately got on the HOA. I was fixing my bricks around the tree and they came over to ask why I had not submitted a plan. They went around looking for everything and threatening fines. My commute in NC was roughly an hour but it was completely worth it.

We are allowed to put a satellite dish on condo roof.
Contractor requires customer to sign an indemnification for damage to tile roof.
Therefore, the tenants got cable instead.
Just because law requires them to allow, doesn't mean it will be feasible.

(One of our tenants was the exterminator. He said cable company was a good source of business for him, because they always drilled a hole in the wall and didn't seal it, providing access for rodents.)

In this case, although there is an HOA, it is OP's own house and roof so not such an issue.

Do HOA rules dictate color of shingles/tiles? (probably)
If solar shingles/tiles were installed where facing street (and sun), that might be allowed (but not necessarily cost competitive.)
I've seen some in my area which blend in well.

Likely, HOA will allow panels in some location when presented with the law. But it will be the surface of the roof facing North, which will only produce power in the summer. If you could mount panels as an awning off the eaves in back then they could have a better tilt.
yea, my south facing roof is street side.
The new all-black panels are sharp looking and should just be allowed.

Around here, if the array is on the roof and not facing the street (street where the house has the "front door") then they cannot prevent the addition. You're not on the roof so the state law isn't on your side. It's as simple as that. The board is in their right legally. Could they accommodate you? Sure, they could. But most states have another law that if the HOA ignores violations of restrictions for X number of years then the restriction is null and void.

That said, I agree with you that the location seems like it wouldn't raise any objections. If you get your neighbors on board and have them put in their $.02 to the board you might have a chance.

I've served on two different HOA boards as an officer. The outlandish things that people did or tried to do would amaze you. 99% of the requests were easy to approve. It was that 1% that got people riled up. I would like to think that we weren't one of those a-hole HOA boards.
Most all HOA's have a-hole boards full of Karens. Screw them!!!

Or join the board, rally others who think like you do and get them to join and change the culture. If you just sit back and complain it will never change.

Our country is run by career politicians. That is their interest and focus in life. To "be the change" might mean that sort of existence.
Better, I think, to get far away to somewhere no one bothers you, and what neighbors you have are like-minded. But could still be worth keeping for rental income.

My first (owned) home was a mobile home in a park. My wife's was a condo. Now we have a house and although the city has a large menu of building permits and fees, simply living here no one bothers us. There are reportedly places in the country you can build what you want without hassle.

Last edited:
Or join the board, rally others who think like you do and get them to join and change the culture. If you just sit back and complain it will never change.
We all actaully tried with our HOA but the two couples that took it over were beyond unreasonable. Plus due to politics we were in an unattainable situation.

Last edited:
Wow.. I had no idea it is that bad "out there".. My county in Minnesota doesn't even require building permits ;) They are concerned about septics though which is understandable given amount of water around.

Where I am in Tennessee, there's no HOA, almost no permitting for homeowners, and the only eff they give about solar is an electrical inspection to make sure you don't zap a lineman.

In my county, I could build another single family home on my property, and other than an electrical and sewer inspection, nobody would care. Our neighbors set off explosives and shoot somewhat regularly, and a lady lives in a shed in her front yard down the road, most of her living room is in the overgrown grass.

You can build and do whatever you want, but sweet Jesus, just don't take a deer out of season.

I have only glanced at thread. And not a lawyer here.

Maybe put up one panel and let them challenge. Gives a way to figure it out.

Back