diy solar

diy solar

Not really BMS, but need a wireless 12V voltage/current monitoring solution

lonertic

Hi guys

Anyone know of a product (links will be great) that can monitor the voltage AND DC current (in and out) of a 12V bank, wirelessly? (either Wifi or Bluetooth, ideally with phone app, but not a deal breaker if i have to write my own code)...

Basically most of the better BMS's already do this but more than half the cost goes into the actual BM'ing.. whereas I just want something that can detect a bank's current voltage and current in/out in a low cost solution.

Closest I can find are some wireless multimeters, but they generally only detect AC current via a clamp, but not DC.

I have a Battery Monitor that does this via Blue Tooth. No code involved. Victron 712 BMS.

What price range are you looking for? The Victron Smart shunt is what you are describing, but it's may not be as inexpensive as you want.

The 712 is a different product, but will do the same thing .... not sure the price difference.

The 712 is a different product, but will do the same thing .... not sure the price difference.
THe 712 is a bit more pricey, I think because of the remote display. I just found out what the smart shunt was a couple weeks ago, and probably would have got that had I known about that last year. I always use the Bluetooth to get specs and never look at the monitor.

If you go on AMazon and look for “Wireless Battery monitor” many lower cost options appear.

Hmm the victron is a bit pricy for my needs.. considering a JKBMS which does all of that and is a full BMS is only around $200 shipped. I was hoping for something much less considering i only need it to perform monitoring functions and can even be contactless as I don't need absolute precision, so probably targetting around $20USD.

wireless range doesnt need to be very far, so even BLE is fine. I can relay from there anyway

Back