diy solar

diy solar

Not to happy with Magnum.

I have heard idle power is 18 watts, for the 4 kw. unit. I believe that it is XXXXXX (edited) who uses Samlex inverters, Too much data in computers overloaded at the moment

EDIT.......BAD DATA......NOT Supervstech using Samlex. it’s ..@Steve_S who has a Samlex EVO

Last edited:
On a side note, one thing I don't like about my Magnum's internal charger function, is when I start the generator to charge, the inverter section automatically goes into bypass, so then the generator has to run all the normal output loads + the charger too (requires bigger generator which can meet both demands).

My most recent solution is to just use two standalone chargers to charge the batteries directly from generator, so the inverter will stay on like normal, and charge that way, alongside.

I will also be doing this with my final home 48v system too, since the MPP Solar LV6548 all-in-ones I have also must go into bypass mode in order to charge the batteries from AC input (is not able to charge while 'inverting'). So I bought 2 AIMS 120v 48v chargers to wire in, one on each leg of generator, so i can just add supplemental charging on my own circuit to the batteries.

Perhaps at worse case, you could just buy some 48v chargers and add them in and not use the AC input on the 4448 at all. Or so you can just buy some time and fix it later...
All hybrid inverters have inverter-charger connected to AC output. When AC input is detected, and before AC pass-through relay closes, the inverter is slowly brought into phase alignment and AC input voltage matching. Once this is achieved the pass-through relay closes and AC input is passed through to AC output with inverter-charger in parallel.

The difference is if hybrid inverter allows load shaving of AC input. Some low cost LF hybrid inverters and most HF hybrid inverters do not do AC input load shaving. If it does not do load shaving then AC input provides AC charging and AC output power with no control on maximum generator loading.

LF hybrid inverter are inherently bi-directional so it is very easy for them to do load shaving. HF inverters are not inherently bi-directional and have to switch forward/reverse power operating modes that takes several milliseconds to switch between. This restricts HF hybrid inverter from load shaving unless they have a large bank of high voltage storage capacitors to provide load power while battery to HV DC converter is temporarily inactive making its forward/reverse power direction switching.

On Magnum inverters, they call load shaving 'Shore Max' which is a user set limit for AC input current.

From Magnum manual:
Shore Max - This setting ensures the inverter AC loads receive the maximum current available
from the utility or generator power. When the total current used to power the AC loads and charge
the batteries begins to approach the Shore Max setting, the current that was used for charging
the batteries will automatically be reduced.

This means AC output has first priority on limited AC input current.

Usually, a LF hybrid inverter with load shaving will allow battery power to supplement AC input power to allow AC output load greater than generator capability. I am not sure if Magnum does this. Victron, Xantrex, and Outback units do allow this.

The most common issues with AC input from a generator:

1) Generator out of freq range (synchronous constant rpm generator)

2) Too much rpm wobble due to unstable generator engine governor rpm control preventing inverter from achieving phase lock (synchronous constant rpm generator). Generator sound should be smooth and constant, without any 'wah-wah' sound pitch variance. Frequency accept range limits is not the same as frequency lock wobble range. Lock for inverter requires generator frequency wobble less than about +/- 0.3 Hz around AC frequency (50 or 60 Hz).

A sudden surge load on a synchronous fixed rpm generator can cause rpm variance dip causing inverter to release from generator. This is where AC output supplementing from battery power through inverter really helps prevent generator from seeing a sudden AC output surge, like an AC motor startup. Victron takes this a step further with their dynamic load shaving where the inverter begins to supplement AC output load that starts to quickly rise before it has actually reaches the AC input current limit set by user. It backs down the supplementing by battery when AC output load settles out.

3) If inverter has AC input current limiting (load shaving), not set properly for generator power capability resulting in overloading generator. Inverter will connect to generator then quickly disconnect from generator when generator bogs down from overload. Inverter may wait some time period and try to reconnect again.

4) If inverter does not have load shaving, setting charger at a level that exceeds power capability of generator, again overloading generator.,

First thing to listen for is pass-through relay engaging indicating inverter has achieved lock on generator. Many inverters also have an indicator LED. This can take from about 10 seconds to upward of a minute or two depending how much initial frequency difference between generator and inverter.

Inverters that have two AC input options often have the AC input used primarily for grid connection set to a tighter AC input frequency range that may not cover the actual frequency of a synchronous, constant rpm generator, therefore the inverter may not lock to a generator out of the tighter frequency limit range.

For inverter-generators, the frequency and its stability is usually very good, but they can react very quickly to overload by shutting down their AC output. When using ECO mode, where rpm is reduced, sudden load increase causes output sinewave to be peak clipped until engine rpm comes up to higher rpm's to meet the higher load demand. Usually, the inverter will step up to supply the additional sudden load until inverter-generator comes up to speed, so the inverter does not release from inverter-generator.

For a LF 240/120 vac inverters that allows just a 120 vac input it is important to remember the AC input current load shaving limits is only providing half the power that a 240 vac input would supply.

All hybrid inverters have inverter-charger connected to AC output. When AC input is detected, and before AC pass-through relay closes, the inverter is slowly brought into phase alignment and AC input voltage matching. Once this is achieved the pass-through relay closes and AC input is passed through to AC output with inverter-charger in parallel.

The difference is if hybrid inverter allows load shaving of AC input. Some low cost LF hybrid inverters and most HF hybrid inverters do not do AC input load shaving. If it does not do load shaving then AC input provides AC charging and AC output power with no control on maximum generator loading.

LF hybrid inverter are inherently bi-directional so it is very easy for them to do load shaving. HF inverters are not inherently bi-directional and have to switch forward/reverse power operating modes that takes several milliseconds to switch between. This restricts HF hybrid inverter from load shaving unless they have a large bank of high voltage storage capacitors to provide load power while battery to HV DC converter is temporarily inactive making its forward/reverse power direction switching.

On Magnum inverters, they call load shaving 'Shore Max' which is a user set limit for AC input current.

From Magnum manual:
Shore Max - This setting ensures the inverter AC loads receive the maximum current available
from the utility or generator power. When the total current used to power the AC loads and charge
the batteries begins to approach the Shore Max setting, the current that was used for charging
the batteries will automatically be reduced.

This means AC output has first priority on limited AC input current.

Usually, a LF hybrid inverter with load shaving will allow battery power to supplement AC input power to allow AC output load greater than generator capability. I am not sure if Magnum does this. Victron, Xantrex, and Outback units do allow this.

The most common issues with AC input from a generator:

1) Generator out of freq range (synchronous constant rpm generator)

2) Too much rpm wobble due to unstable generator engine governor rpm control preventing inverter from achieving phase lock (synchronous constant rpm generator). Generator sound should be smooth and constant, without any 'wah-wah' sound pitch variance. Frequency accept range limits is not the same as frequency lock wobble range. Lock for inverter requires generator frequency wobble less than about +/- 0.3 Hz around AC frequency (50 or 60 Hz).

A sudden surge load on a synchronous fixed rpm generator can cause rpm variance dip causing inverter to release from generator. This is where AC output supplementing from battery power through inverter really helps prevent generator from seeing a sudden AC output surge, like an AC motor startup. Victron takes this a step further with their dynamic load shaving where the inverter begins to supplement AC output load that starts to quickly rise before it has actually reaches the AC input current limit set by user. It backs down the supplementing by battery when AC output load settles out.

3) If inverter has AC input current limiting (load shaving), not set properly for generator power capability resulting in overloading generator. Inverter will connect to generator then quickly disconnect from generator when generator bogs down from overload. Inverter may wait some time period and try to reconnect again.

4) If inverter does not have load shaving, setting charger at a level that exceeds power capability of generator, again overloading generator.,

First thing to listen for is pass-through relay engaging indicating inverter has achieved lock on generator. Many inverters also have an indicator LED. This can take from about 10 seconds to upward of a minute or two depending how much initial frequency difference between generator and inverter.

Inverters that have two AC input options often have the AC input used primarily for grid connection set to a tighter AC input frequency range that may not cover the actual frequency of a synchronous, constant rpm generator, therefore the inverter may not lock to a generator out of the tighter frequency limit range.

For inverter-generators, the frequency and its stability is usually very good, but they can react very quickly to overload by shutting down their AC output. When using ECO mode, where rpm is reduced, sudden load increase causes output sinewave to be peak clipped until engine rpm comes up to higher rpm's to meet the higher load demand. Usually, the inverter will step up to supply the additional sudden load until inverter-generator comes up to speed, so the inverter does not release from inverter-generator.

For a LF 240/120 vac inverters that allows just a 120 vac input it is important to remember the AC input current load shaving limits is only providing half the power that a 240 vac input would supply.

Right on, as usual... Just a couple of additions...

"LF hybrid inverter are inherently bi-directional so it is very easy for them to do load shaving. HF inverters are not inherently bi-directional and have to switch forward/reverse power operating modes that takes several milliseconds to switch between. "

A HF inverter/charger certainly CAN be bi-directional but most are not... Or at least did not used to be the case for Chinese hybrids like the MPP Solar...

The MidNite Rosie is a HF bi-directional inverter/charger that also does generator and grid support from battery.

I thought that the Sol-Ark (Deye) inverter was full bi-directional ? Uses IGBTs on the HV side. Maybe you said it was not bi-directional but I may not have been complete enough in my analysis ?

"On Magnum inverters, they call load shaving 'Shore Max' which is a user set limit for AC input current."

The other term for this is Back-off which reduces charging based on AC input current settings so you don't trip the AC input breaker as well as over-current the bypass relay contact ratings.

Also, the Magnum charger is a PFC charger that uses the same hardware as the inverter but uses a dedicated PFC IC and leakage inductance of the big transformer. I don't think there is a time penalty when going from charging to inverting ? It has been many years.

boB

I have heard idle power is 18 watts, for the 4 kw. unit. I believe that it is XXXXXX (edited) who uses Samlex inverters, Too much data in computers overloaded at the moment

EDIT.......BAD DATA......NOT Supervstech using Samlex. it’s ..@Steve_S who has a Samlex EVO
My Magnum 4024 when inv is on= 31W.

My Magnum 4024 when inv is on= 31W.
Just curious....which model 4024 do you have, mine is a very early MS-4024AE which is 120/240 but unlike the load shaving/load sharing that the PAE has it does not load share, Inverter on with no load 40 watts but the thermal fan controller is broke so the fans do not turn off. Home built thermal controller added which senses current and temperature idle power is 22 watts , not temp or load triggered

I have no complaints whatsoever, bought it used with the stuck fan control for $200 more than 20 years ago and spent some time and a few bucks to do variable speed fans, whats a retired power engineer to do?
I hope that Midnight does a 24 volt Rosie....

A HF inverter/charger certainly CAN be bi-directional but most are not... Or at least did not used to be the case for Chinese hybrids like the MPP Solar...

The MidNite Rosie is a HF bi-directional inverter/charger that also does generator and grid support from battery.

I thought that the Sol-Ark (Deye) inverter was full bi-directional ? Uses IGBTs on the HV side. Maybe you said it was not bi-directional but I may not have been complete enough in my analysis ?
I said they require a large HV DC capacitor bank to ride through the temporarily inactive battery to HV DC converter when it is making power flow direction changeover if they support load shaving. If doing battery charging and all of sudden needs to supplement AC output for load shaving it has to immediately go from charging to sourcing.

Yes, it is possible to make a true bidirectional HF DC to DC converter, but you will take a sizable hit on conversion efficiency.

This is the HV DC capacitor bank in the Deye HF inverter, which is pretty much same as SolArk. Each capacitor is 1000 uF @ 315 wvdc rating.

Deye HV DC filter.jpg

Typical low-cost HF hybrid inverter MPP manufacturer knockoff has just two 500 uF capacitors for their HV DC bus. Not enough to ride through mode changeover of HF battery DC to HV DC converter for load shaving without a sizable voltage glitch.

MPP PIP5048 board HV caps.jpg

Last edited:
Just curious....which model 4024 do you have, mine is a very early MS-4024AE which is 120/240 but unlike the load shaving/load sharing that the PAE has it does not load share, Inverter on with no load 40 watts but the thermal fan controller is broke so the fans do not turn off. Home built thermal controller added which senses current and temperature idle power is 22 watts , not temp or load triggered

I have no complaints whatsoever, bought it used with the stuck fan control for $200 more than 20 years ago and spent some time and a few bucks to do variable speed fans, whats a retired power engineer to do?
MS4024. Specs say 25W.

One of the first things I did when at Magnum was to reduce the idle of their new line of RE SW inverters. It was like, 45 or 50 watts. 30W or so was about as low as it could get as I remember

boB

I said they require a large HV DC capacitor bank to ride through the temporarily inactive battery to HV DC converter when it is making power flow direction changeover if they support load shaving. If doing battery charging and all of sudden needs to supplement AC output for load shaving it has to immediately go from charging to sourcing.

Yes, it is possible to make a true bidirectional HF DC to DC converter, but you will take a sizable hit on conversion efficiency.

This is the HV DC capacitor bank in the Deye HF inverter, which is pretty much same as SolArk. Each capacitor is 1000 uF @ 315 wvdc rating.

View attachment 143096

Typical low-cost HF hybrid inverter MPP manufacturer knockoff has just two 500 uF capacitors for their HV DC bus. Not enough to ride through mode changeover of HF battery DC to HV DC converter for load shaving without a sizable voltage glitch.

View attachment 143097

"Yes, it is possible to make a true bidirectional HF DC to DC converter, but you will take a sizable hit on conversion efficiency."

How much of a hit in efficiency do you think that adds ? There are always compromises and tradeoffs.

I think it costs less to just use a synchronous design these days if it is going to be a HF inverter/charger.

Sync rectifier shouldn't add a hit to inverter efficiency (much?) but nobody cares about charging efficiency. Or very few these days.

boB

One of the first things I did when at Magnum was to reduce the idle of their new line of RE SW inverters. It was like, 45 or 50 watts. 30W or so was about as low as it could get as I remember

boB
boB,

I was mixing my inverters, the 22 watts is the very old Exeltech XP-1100 which does not have the low idle kit, The Magnasine idles at 40 watts cold but 58 watts after its been hot for a while with the fans running at full speed.

I’m super energy effecient as I normally use the Exeltech inverters as they are much quieter than the Magnasine both audible noise but more importantly (to me) very low EMI/RFI

I can easily do with my newer Exeltech XP-600 at night as all my lighting and refrigeration , communications, computing , routers etc. are DC..
..Idle power at 8 watts

I just read about some of the differences between a traditional generator and an inverter generator. I suspect this fundamental difference may have a significant impact on off-grid inverter components over time. Will the Magnum PAE be more reliable in the long haul using a traditional generator (pure sine, fixed rpm) vs an inverter generator which isn't as pure as what an alternator/rotor/stator provides directly? I suspect both have their place.

My magnum does just fine on an slow speed traditional copper wound generator but mine is made in USA ONAN whose copper alone weighs more than an asian big box generator which does have more rorational mass than a cheepie throw away. 4kw 1800 rpm 380 lbs. Its mass makes it very stable

My magnum does just fine on an slow speed traditional copper wound generator but mine is made in USA ONAN whose copper alone weighs more than an asian big box generator which does have more rorational mass than a cheepie throw away. 4kw 1800 rpm 380 lbs. Its mass makes it very stable
Good point! My thinking is that a pure alternator-generator (non-inverter) might be better than an inverter-gen trying to create AND deliver clean/conditioned power to an even better power conditioner (Magnum). The point of my generator is to charge the batteries when needed above powering the home although it does that while charging.

Did I read on here that the PAE simply passes through AC when charging? Or does it clean it up at all as it feeds the home?

The PAE passes through AC without any wave shaping at all.

Attachments

• 9F3012A9-3FC1-4C59-A08C-E8C23796482A.png
    9F3012A9-3FC1-4C59-A08C-E8C23796482A.png
    147.2 KB · Views: 5

View attachment 143096

View attachment 143097
Looks quite hard, but fun, to get this solved.

If inverter is running in parallel with AC input, it can improve AC output waveform somewhat. I have never had a synchronous (fixed rpm) conventional generator with such poor distortion my low frequency inverters rejects it. By far the biggest issue is unstable engine rpm control. The hybrid inverter phase tracking is slow so it cannot follow a varying AC phase/freq from a wah-wah wobbling synchronous rpm generator. Second common issue is just out of freq range, usually due to low rpm governor setting on engine.

Hybrid inverter does not directly check for generator distortion. It initially only cares about frequency and voltage. Once pass-through relay closes, a generator with really poor distortion may cause inverter to have current peaks that causes it to release from generator but that is usually very high current peaks near the surge current limit of inverter. It might cause inverter to overheat within some time period causing inverter to shut down.

Newer synchronous generators with electronic governors not only hold rpm better, but they can also compensate rotor field current which is the primary reason for AC output distortion. Older models have a simple rectifier from AC output to feed the rotor field winding. The generator output voltage also changes with rpm, being lower the lower the rpms, along with lower AC output frequency. The old generators have a small magnet in the face of rotor core to generate a little stator AC current to get the rotor field current process going. Over time, the magnets get weak, and the generator doesn't make enough initial rotor current to start up the process that builds up AC output.

Inverter-generators use a three-phase alternator with strong rare earth magnets on the rotor. Their output voltage and power is a function of rpm just like a PMA alternator wind turbine. For a 120-vac inverter-generator, the three-phase rectified alternator DC output voltage ranges from a low of about 200 vdc up to about 350 vdc. The inverter is similar to what is in a HF hybrid inverter, taking the high voltage DC and PWM chopping it to sinewave PWM sequence followed by low pass L-C filter to create smooth AC sinewave output. Frequency is tightly controlled by microcontroller oscillator, so inverter-generators are very accurate and stable on their output frequency, regardless of AC output load.

When using ECO mode where rpm on inverter-generator is reduced, a sudden AC load increase will result in AC sinewave output peaks being clipped due to rectified alternator output DC voltage slumping below 160 vdc until engine rpm is raised to support the heavier AC output load. When connected to a hybrid inverter, the inverter will usually make up the clipping shortfall while the engine spins up to higher rpms. If you have a very large surge, like starting an air conditioner, the inverter may release from inverter-generator because the inverter-generator quickly shuts down its inverter AC output due to severe overload.

240/120vac inverter-generators are just two 120vac inverters in series connection. They have two separate alternator stator three phase windings and rectifiers to supply the two sinewave output AC inverters, just like SolArc or Deye HF inverters have two separate 250-280vdc HV DC buses for their two series connected 120vac inverters.

Last edited:
Back