diy solar

diy solar

Not understanding this diagram

MJSullivan

So I'm considering going with dual Phocos 5kW inverters set up as split phase for use as a UPS for now. But I don't quite fully understand their diagram. Wouldn't one need a neutral on the 240v side? (presumably they also left out the ground but i can live with that omission). Thoughts? Confirmation?

Michael

Attachments

• Phocos 180°-Split-Phase-1-1536x889.png
    Phocos 180°-Split-Phase-1-1536x889.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 20
So I'm considering going with dual Phocos 5kW inverters set up as split phase for use as a UPS for now. But I don't quite fully understand their diagram. Wouldn't one need a neutral on the 240v side? (presumably they also left out the ground but i can live with that omission). Thoughts? Confirmation?

Michael
240VAC for the 240VAC LOAD is from L1 and L2, there is no Neutral, the 240VAC load is connected to L1 and L2.
I think you need to do more study about AC wiring just to be safe.

240VAC for the 240VAC LOAD is from L1 and L2, there is no Neutral, the 240VAC load is connected to L1 and L2.
I think you need to do more study about AC wiring just to be safe.
Oh I’ve wired my garage/workshop properly (i.e.to code) for 240v and I have both 3-wire and 4-wire NEMA outlets depending on amperage and usage. The diagram is simply “incomplete” to my eyes wrt the 240v side assuming I want to wire things using 4-wire NEMA outlets and I am just wondering why they chose to do so.

They show that the system can supply L1, L2, and Neutral, how you want to use those wires is up to you, if you have load that requires just 240VAC then you wire L1, L2, and GND to the appliance, if your appliance has load that requires L1 and L2 for 240VAC, and if it has small 120VAVC load then you will need L1 (or L2) and Neutral for that 120VAC load, what you want to connect to the receptacle is up to you and up to the NEC and Local code.

They show that the system can supply L1, L2, and Neutral, how you want to use those wires is up to you, if you have load that requires just 240VAC then you wire L1, L2, and GND to the appliance, if your appliance has load that requires L1 and L2 for 240VAC, and if it has small 120VAVC load then you will need L1 (or L2) and Neutral for that 120VAC load, what you want to connect to the receptacle is up to you and up to the NEC and Local code.
You answered my question. Their “wiring diagram” is actually a “marketing diagram”. Thanks.

So this is my wiring diagram. Anything I might have missed?

Attachments

• Phocos layout2.jpg
    Phocos layout2.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 17
Back