diy solar

diy solar

Now THAT’s a fiiiiiiiyyyyrrrr (in my best Eddie voice)

Jennifer

Array Arc Welding 101

NO AC BREAKERS ON DC LINES!!!!

Enough said!!!!!

Be careful out there!!!! We want you all around long enough to share your next build with us. Be sure to watch till the end if you think that new 600VDC Schneider (or other brand) charge controller install you‘re doing is no big deal safety wise… we’re talking rubber gloves or rubber bag time kiddies, the choice is up to you. :oops:

Jen

(Warning: minor cussing in video below, play accordingly if you have kids in the room).

Last edited:
Cutting a wire in 400 VDC circuit. I think he had only leather gloves but not rubber. Maybe the array wasn't grounded anywhere, but I wouldn't have wanted to do that.
I did once connect five "12V" panels in series by mistake. Those had screw terminals in their junction boxes.

appreciate that post, great info
I agree... I dare say it should be pinned in the safety section, doesn't have to be in my posting but that's something everyone should see... Oh that's ok hon, i'll run to the Homeless Despot and grab an AC breaker, it'll work for now... I see it on a headstone as I type it.

It was "Homeline" which doesn't have DC rating, and used above rated voltage. "QO" would have been OK for DC. If one pole, UL listed for 48V. Square-D says if 2 poles used, 125 VDC. Don't think it has a magnet, maybe distance/geometry of opened contacts, maybe the coil for magnetic trip contributes to arc extinguishing?

It was "Homeline" which doesn't have DC rating, and used above rated voltage. "QO" would have been OK for DC. If one pole, UL listed for 48V. Square-D says if 2 poles used, 125 VDC. Don't think it has a magnet, maybe distance/geometry of opened contacts, maybe the coil for magnetic trip contributes to arc extinguishing?
Yea, what he said (pointing up) ?

?

Last edited:
'And if you ever use fuses, take the sand filled ones.
Yup….Sand absorbs the heat from the explosion when the fuse blows and in addition sand is is an isolator that keeps the electricity inside of the fuse and does not transmit to other components of the electric system….. or so says the site I plagiarized that from. ;)
I tend to use class T’s on my inverters… I’m sure there are already lots of great write ups about the differences on here but this is a good quick overview for small scale RV type installs…and of course Will’s book is a great resource!!!

Back