diy solar

diy solar

Odd Size Panels

bri2k

Hi again,
I had originally planned to use 10x HQST 100w Compact panels on my van roof for a number of reasons but I was sent the wrong panels (post). In the event that HQST doesn't come through with the correct panels I want to see if anyone can suggest decent alternative. I'll attach the layout I had originally envisioned. The tricky part is that I have a roof fan and an awning that limit the space available to panels, assuming I don't want anything overhanging ridiculously. I'm basically limited to a max width of about 62" side to side so most ~65" panels are a bit too big. Anyone found a decent panel that's no bigger than 62" by 40"?

Thanks

Attachments

• PanelLayout.png
    PanelLayout.png
    38 KB · Views: 10
How wide is the fan? The AltE 150W panels are 58.3 x 26.4, so you could fit 3 in the front. Perhaps two more behind?

How wide is the fan? The AltE 150W panels are 58.3 x 26.4, so you could fit 3 in the front. Perhaps two more behind?
The fan is basically 20" wide leaving me 20" on each side. The ~59" x ~27" panels like the AltE panels were my original plan until I cam across the smaller HQSTs. Like you said, I could fit three up front and two in the back with just a slight overhang in the back. That could get me 1000w if I went with 200w panels. The total cost is more but that might be the way it goes.

I'm considering getting a couple Renogy Flat panels to fit the free space in my roof. These are the dimensions in inches:

50 W: 26.5X20
100W: 48 X 21.6
160W/175W: 59.2X 26.5

This data does not produce as many watts per sq foot that other panels advertise, but I also believe these advertisements versus some of the no name company inexpensive, but strong advertisemets.

I also have some ground panels I want to deploy, but I'd be cautious about buying those. I don't know if its standard or not for portable panels, but the ones I got were designed to work with the company's solar generator and are designed for connection in parallel only. The company tells me if I wire these panels in series, I void the warranty. They said they would have told me this before I bought it, but I guess that's what I get for getting panels from a company with a good looking website, but no tech data available for the panels.

Hi again,
I had originally planned to use 10x HQST 100w Compact panels on my van roof for a number of reasons but I was sent the wrong panels (post). In the event that HQST doesn't come through with the correct panels I want to see if anyone can suggest decent alternative. I'll attach the layout I had originally envisioned. The tricky part is that I have a roof fan and an awning that limit the space available to panels, assuming I don't want anything overhanging ridiculously. I'm basically limited to a max width of about 62" side to side so most ~65" panels are a bit too big. Anyone found a decent panel that's no bigger than 62" by 40"?

Thanks

Back