diy solar

diy solar

OEM Voltronic and it's subsidiaries like MPP Solar

MaximusAnonus

Hi,
I've seen post on this form along the lines "well Voltronic is the OEM and then there are tiers of rebranded inverters with MPP Solar being "tier 1" as in the highest quality rebrands and other brands being lower tiers.
Is there a definitive list of those? I can get the MPP Solar inverters MUCH cheaper in Taiwan than buy them here in Europe (but here they are branded simply "Voltronic"). But I do wonder what the quality step down is between MPP Solar and Voltronic and the many other re-brads of the same models (supposedly with different internals).

Hi,
I've seen post on this form along the lines "well Voltronic is the OEM and then there are tiers of rebranded inverters with MPP Solar being "tier 1" as in the highest quality rebrands and other brands being lower tiers.
Is there a definitive list of those? I can get the MPP Solar inverters MUCH cheaper in Taiwan than buy them here in Europe (but here they are branded simply "Voltronic"). But I do wonder what the quality step down is between MPP Solar and Voltronic and the many other re-brads of the same models (supposedly with different internals).
there is no such list.
the only difference between the voltronics axpert and their mpp solar counterparts is case color and logo.

there is no such list.
the only difference between the voltronics axpert and their mpp solar counterparts is case color and logo.
So internally they are the same? But there are Voltronic made inverters made from inferior parts to be sold under inferior labels, right?

So internally they are the same? But there are Voltronic made inverters made from inferior parts to be sold under inferior labels, right?
there is -0- difference between the axpert ( voltronics) inverters and mpp solar, not even firmware.
the only difference is outside color and logo.
and that is because of the quantity mpp solar orders

again i know easun use different firmware and other spec component, and are the white labels out there

Some of the bigger labelers will specify some component arrangements but the parts are not necessarily superior. They also can request custom firmware for their needs.

Whew...I'm feeling a bit lost trying to see the subtle differences in the low-cost clone inverters.

Here's a Voltronic inverter, the InfiniSolar WP LV , that was mentioned in another thread yesterday. 120/240 Split phase 6000 watts, 600 Voc MPPT states its UL1741 & IEE1541 so exporting would be allowed so that's a notable difference than most. Can run batteryless as well. That checks most of the boxes for me. Humless appears to selling the same one as the "Universal". Anyone have any direct experience?

Is there a thread someone could point me towards that compares the clone inverter options out there?

EDIT: to add IEE1541

Last edited:
Hi,
I have lots of problems with MPP MGX 5048 inverters in parallel. Simply they do not work in parallel mode. Even not in pair (2) let say in 8.

EG4 makes more inverters than all other Voltronic contractors including MPP combined.

There is no tier system but I think we’d ought to have first place if some MPP sales guy wants to say there is a tier system.

EG4 makes more inverters than all other Voltronic contractors including MPP combined.

There is no tier system but I think we’d ought to have first place if some MPP sales guy wants to say there is a tier system.
james, the eg4's are produced by voltronics and are , abeit some extra features, the same as the axperts/mpp solar devices..
i know you guys are proud of your product, but let's not get ahead of yourself

Hi,
I also saw cheaper MPP if you ordered from Taiwan, but when things go wrong, who ya gonna call? And if you return, what would be your shipping costs. I may very well buy MPP, but from a vendor who I think will be service oriented

I keep hearing the term “cheap Chinese “ inverters and controllers, so I want to avoid that. And my budget would be strained with Victron. So MPP is a good price point on say 6548, but can I have a few people tell me if that unit and MPP in general are “not cheap” and good quality and not “problem prone”. Or suggest something a bit more costly but not stratospherically more. Thank you.

can I have a few people tell me if that unit and MPP in general are “not cheap” and good quality and not “problem prone”
I own a 24V 3kVA 3K24M Voltacon 2015 model inverter.
I have used it 24/7/365 for >7yrs.
And I've run my welder with it many times for small repairs. I don't recommend this as I killed it recently and I think I ran it too hard at over the 100% point for just too many times in close succession.

But it is a toss up between MPP/Voltacon or Growatt to replace it and MPP have the edge at the moment.
It cost me around £200 new and has been totally reliable without any issues of any sort, other than shutting down because 2.4kW isn't enough to start some of my motors without plenty of sunshine to back up the battery.

From the abuse I have given it I give 5 stars all round and one extra for continued customer service up until this week (I hope you are reading this Voltacon sales department - I have money waiting!!).
I'll probably ship from Taiwan for the cash saving and the better choice. Seems Germany isn't playing with UK anymore so no EU delivery to us naughty brits. But MPP Taiwan said <7days probably 3 or 4 to arrive here..

Hope this is positive enough for you. I can't guarantee the current models but as a company they are proud of their products and not just knocking out tat to meet demand like some other (ali - <<cough>>) companies.

There's an old saying "Buy cheap. Buy twice"

But if two still cost less than one "luxury" model and life expectancy exceeds or matches the expensive one and potentially costs less in the long run. Then there's nothing wrong with spending less.

Ask those around me who bought Studer when I bought my cheap Voltacon.

Edit: Voltacon don't supply MPP, they supply clones - which has worked faultlessly, but there appears to be zero customer service from them and MPP Taiwan have a good track record.

Last edited:
I also saw cheaper MPP if you ordered from Taiwan, but when things go wrong, who ya gonna call? And if you return, what would be your shipping costs. I may very well buy MPP, but from a vendor who I think will be service oriented
MPP in Taiwan do seem to want to support their genuine products (lots of fake rebadged out there), they will opt to send out a replacement board rather than a whole unit replacement but of course you need to be confident to do that swap out. They do sometimes send you round in circles with more and more testing which sometimes is exactly the same tests just worded differently but they do seem to genuinely want to support and have been reasonably quick (within a few days) to respond to any issues I've had.

MPP in Taiwan do seem to want to support their genuine products (lots of fake rebadged out there), they will opt to send out a replacement board rather than a whole unit replacement but of course you need to be confident to do that swap out. They do sometimes send you round in circles with more and more testing which sometimes is exactly the same tests just worded differently but they do seem to genuinely want to support and have been reasonably quick (within a few days) to respond to any issues I've had.
Where did you buy from? Taiwan via ebay? ?

Where did you buy from? Taiwan via ebay? ?
I did buy from an eBay seller but only after checking with MPP directly that he was an authorised seller of original kit. I had an intermittent F51 fault on my inverter but MPP directly sorted it out by sending me out a new replacement board after they'd looked at the logs etc.

Back